August sun

.Wednesday August 28th. Arnside Amble. 16 miles. Leader: Geoff Halliwell.


Fourteen walkers and two dogs braved the wet weather to do this walk around the Arnside and Silverdale AONB. 

Setting off along the coast to Silverdale before a brief stop at Jenny Brown's Point to admire the fish fossils in the limestone. 

We then climbed to Yealand Redmayne and enjoyed lunch overlooking Leighton Hall. 

By this time the weather had improved with even a brief glimpse of the sun, so we set off again crossing Leighton Moss RSPB before entering the impressive Trowbarrow Quarry. From there, we walked around Hawes Water, before entering Eaves Wood and climbing to the elusive Pepperpot. 

From there, we descended past Arnside Tower before starting the long climb to the summit of Arnside Knott. Then the descent back to Arnside for a well deserved pint in the Albion Inn. 

Geoff Halliwell.  




Wednesday August 21st. Stocks Made Easy, Plodder Walk, 10.5 miles. Leader: Nick Halford.


Eighteen ploddy people and no dogs met at Slaidburn car parks and ascended gently towards Hammerton hall and on via the higher path to morning break in St James’s chapel, peaceful and permanently open, which must be a real boon to walkers in poor weather.

The path around the northern part of Stocks reservoir became wooded, being on the edge of Gisburn forest, then out into open country before dinner on the bank of Hodder, by the footbridge. Soon on the old railway line south for another stop at the Fishery café, then over the damn to rejoin our route back to the village.

Some went to the dog-friendly Hark to Bounty pub, and some to the café, but thanks to all for a walk that ended nicely just before the rain began.



Click here to see Peter's Pictures.



Sunday August 18th. Craven Dale. 21 miles. Leader: Howard Smith and Joy Stanley.



Going off the weather forecast during the week we were worried that nobody would turn up on the Sunday, but with an improving forecast and only the threat of the odd shower 14 of us set off from the Craven Heifer pub and headed West on the Dales Highway and up to Sharp Haw, our first climb of the day.

It was quite blustery so no hanging around to take in the views, we made our way down and over Flasby Fell and then into the tiny hamlet of Flasby for our morning stop. We continued into Hetton Village and then Rylstone, we had a short section of Grassington road to walk up before turning off and onto a bridleway that leads up to part of the Bolton Abbey Estate. A few stopped at this point to put coats on as the first shower started, it was short lived as the sun came out and they stopped to take their coats off again. We made it to Rylstone Cross bang on 12 o'clock, our lunch stop for the day, the wind was howling so made use of the rocks for shelter.

Rylstone Cross was originally a large man shaped rock known as The Stone Man, a wooden cross was subsequently erected to celebrate the "Peace of Paris" in 1783, the current cross which stands to this day was erected in 1995.

After lunch we headed east over Barden Moor, passing both upper and lower Barden Reservoirs and then onto Halton East. We had a little detour at this point to Calm Slate Farm and Billy Bob's ice cream parlour for our afternoon break, which proved a bit of a challenge to actually get into the premises as we had used the back entrance. It was then onto Draughton before picking up the Dales Highway again and then into Skipton town centre, before one last climb up Park Hill and then over the A59 and onto Skipton golf club. The dark clouds looked menacing by now and with only 10 minutes to the finish it started to rain, everyone was making a mad dash to the car park at this point and I missed my path which would have taken us through the memorial garden. I promised 20 miles but with the little detour to the ice cream parlour and the wrong turn at the end we made it back for 5.15 with 21 miles and just over 3000ft of ascent.

Thanks to all who attended

Howard & Joy.


Click here to see Howards pictures.


Wednesday August 14th. Hunt the Quarry. 15 miles. Leader: Dave Walsh.


Eight of us set off, crossed the main road & entered Fairy Glen. Within 10 minutes the leader had lost half of the group! No Alma to back mark unfortunately. Must be an unenviable record. We were soon reunited & reached Appley Bridge. After walking through the village we turned off & followed wet & muddy tracks to reach our morning break stop at Ashurst Beacon.

It was now raining heavily but we still sang 'Happy Birthday' to Viv & had some birthday cake which she had distributed at the start of the walk. Views were non existent & we were surprised to see six German Shepherds emerge with their owner on their morning constitutional.

We carried on regardless through the rain & made our way over farmers fields towards Parbold. The rain finally stopped & we had lunch in Parbold making use of some plastic chairs that had been left stacked in a grassy area.

From Parbold we headed north uphill towards Harrock Hill. The rain had started again & soon became torrential. Spirits were still high though & some of the group started leaping over horse jumps in one field. Don't think the Grand National jockeys have anything to worry about.

We had a quick afternoon break & turned south past the Highmoor Restaurant & made our way back to the cars at Fairy Glen, the rain having finally stopped again.

My thanks to those who braved the adverse weather,

Dave Walsh.


Click here to view Peter's Pictures.



Wednesday August 7th. Sue's Birthday Bash. 14 miles. Leader: Sue Boardman.


Thanks to Pauline for the pictures.



Sunday August 4th. Todmorden Twenty. 16 miles. Leader: Jane Reeves.


Fifteen walkers met at Todmorden Railway Station and we walked out of the town via Meadow Bottom and headed for Blackshaw Head passing Great Rock and Hippins Bridge.  We descended through fields on the Calderdale Way to Jack Bridge with great views of Colden village below.  We then headed to Hebden Bridge via Colden Clough (passing one of Ted Hughes’ (Poet Laureate) former homes) and had a lunch stop at the top of Crow Nest Wood.  We then walked along Pinnacle Lane to reach the London Road track below Stoodley Pike.  We returned on parts of the Pennine Bridleway and descended into Todmorden via Rake End.


We were lucky to have no rain at all after the downpours of the previous week. 


Thanks to all who joined me