Yorkshire Wolds Way 2018


                                                                                    East Lancs LDWA / National Trail


Sponsored by Compeed


 Walk report by Caroline Tennant


Day 1 - Hessle to South Cave - 14.5 miles


Saturday morning.  9 intrepid travellers met at South Cave and boarded the bus to Hessle.  Being the cool kids we obviously all went straight to the back of the bus.  We managed not to cause too much trouble before disembarking at Hessle.  We set off to find the start of the trail.  We found the start marker and a Jackie too.  Ken took our photographs and we set off on our way.  79 miles to Filey!

The route took us along the Humber estuary, passing under the magnificent Humber Bridge.  As the tide was on its way out we were able to take the coastal route safely and without too much mud.  Inland through woods and a stop for lunch.  We perched like little gnomes all in a row along a convenient log.

We got our first taste of the Wolds as we passed along Welton Dale Valley, rolling hill to one side and pine forest, with sheltering cows, on the other.  Having missed the first of the 5-mile marker posts, when we found the second, we stopped for afternoon break.  Dropping down into Brantingham we found a little church and a sheep bath.  No one was willing to test it.  We made a final climb up the never-ending Woo Dale, before dropping down to South Cave to find our cars and make our way to our accommodation in Pocklington.

We all settled into our rooms at The Feathers, and the bar.  11 of us had dinner before being joined by Viv, Barbara, Nick and Jeanie.  Having all arrived we were now ready to continue at full strength.


Day 2 – South Cave to Pocklington – 21.0 miles


Sunday morning.  After a chaotic breakfast (the hotel had not been expecting 15 walkers, 11 cyclists and various other guests to all rock up at 08.00!) 12 of us set out in 3 cars to return to South Cave.  We parked on a convenient grass verge on the footpath.  In my case literally across the path, before I tried parking in a hedge and then finally settling on the grass verge proper.  I don’t think I will be asked to drive again any time soon.

We began by climbing into Little Wold Plantation.  I restrained myself from dognapping a greyhound.  The day was scorching hot and we soon found sheep sheltering under hedges and even brollies came out. (for walkers, not sheep) We found a Trig point to much over excitement amongst the group.  When given the choice, we opted to take the Goodmanham route, rather than the Market Weighton route.  What a marvellous decision!  Lunch was taken by some at a café and by others sat in a picturesque churchyard, with cold drinks from the pub over the road.  Absolute bliss given the heat.

Suitably refreshed we continued on our way.  Under the old railway line and into the fields to find a pond with tadpoles.  Up into the Londesborough Estate and its village and church.  Peacock topiary was a winning diversion.  Our final brief stop was in the shade under some trees where we nearly left Nick snoozing under his hat. We decided not to leave him behind and went on to Kilnwick Percy, where we left the route to walk back to Pocklington. 

Ken very kindly then drove the drivers back to collect the cars and an LDWA convoy returned to the pub. 

After 2 days walking in scorching heat a number of feet in the group protested and blisters arose.  Alma offered the services of Dave to perform amputations where needed.  Most however opted to use the medicinal properties of Italian food to repair their feet. (Consumption of, not application) Compeed plasters were liberally applied.


Day 3 – Pocklington to Thixendale – 14.9 miles


Sunday proved to be party night in Pocklington. (who would have thought) After a noisy night, with not much sleep for those overlooking the bar opposite the pub, 3 cars were dropped off in Thixendale.  Sore feet were popular, and much discussion took place of blister and hot foot ailments and treatments.

Ignoring our aches and pains we continued – a beautiful day of stunning scenery as we dropped and climbed through the dales of the Wolds.  Heat made some of the hills hard work and morning break was in the shade at Jessops plantation.  Unfortunately the shade was also full of flies.  A speedy escape was made along Pasture Dale and a steady climb to reach views of Lincoln and York Cathedrals, the Humber Bridge and the lighthouse at Flamborough Head.  According to the book.

We considered a diversion into Huggate to the pub, but thanks to Google and finding the pub closed we decided against the extra mileage.  Lunch was taken under first available trees at the side of a field of crops.

The afternoon took us over Horse Dale with crowds of butterflies.  At a National Trail bench, we found a lunch box with a Wolds Way Poetry book.  The group composed their own entry. 


A dozen walkers from the LDWA,

Decided to walk the Wolds Way.

What a landscape!  What a sky!

Fuelled by steak and ale pie.


Barley and wheat rippling like the sea.

We are looking forward to a cup of tea.

Yellowhammers, skylarks, warblers and red kites.

Looking forward to a pint tonight.

East Lancs LDWA


Onwards through Holm Dale with some slightly frisky cows.  Approaching the village of Fridaythorpe we spotted a pigeon perched in a bird bath, too hot to bother flying away when we appeared.  A diversion was made to Fridaythorpe garage where lollies and drinks were purchased and then enjoyed in the walkers shelter on the village green.   The green was also home to the sign marking the half way point of the path.  Leaving Fridaythorpe we dropped down into Thixen Dale.  A spiral earth work was later discovered to be ‘art’ enjoyed by the sheep.  A final gentle climb on the road took us into Thixendale village and the cars.

At dinner bets were placed and rules created for the following evenings football match.



Day 4 – Thixendale to Sherburn – 19.1 miles


Monday night was quiet, and sleep was much better for all.  As a result, however, I had 3am apocalyptic thoughts – too many blisters, too hot, too long, no escape points -panic!  Fortunately, by the time I woke up properly all was well and the world had not ended, no one had lost their feet, and I felt quite silly!

Our minibus collected us spot on time and we were driven to Thixendale.

We set off out of the village and made our way to the medieval village of Wharram Percy.  A peaceful spot for morning break and a taste of the lovely scenery we would pass through over the day.  Huge fields of crops and livestock stretching in all directions. Lunch was taken on a hillside before continuing to the Vale of Pickering and views over the North Yorkshire Moors. 

We then came across the worst hill of the whole path.  Super steep and covered in slippery scree.  We battled our way up, and occasionally down, to reach a group of wooden men overlooking the valley.  A recovery break was taken of drinks and Haribo.  Suitably refreshed we made our way to Sherburn.  Hilary paced us perfectly and we were just walking into the village as our minibus driver called to say he had arrived!


That evening, with the England Columbia match taking place, the pub kept a room with a television clear for our group.  Having placed our bets on the time of the last goal in play, we all watched on with baited breath.  I had my first lively interest in football and congratulate Columbia on their 92nd minute goal.  Most considerate of them I thought.  And then England came through the penalties to win too!


Day 5 – Sherburn to Filey Brigg – 15.4 miles


Ali and his minibus collected us punctually and we arrived in Sherburn and were dropped on the path itself.  Not on the road we wanted, but close enough, so we doubled back to the previous days drop off point to make sure our walk would join up.  We set out again and freshly ploughed fields bought a huge flock of birds over our heads.

Finally, the route bought us past a field edged with poppies even with it being slightly late in the year for them. 

RAF Staxton Wold were not hospitable enough to offer us a cup of tea, so we made our way to the National Trail bench at Flixendale for lunch.  We passed through possibly the most pointless gate of all time – not only kept shut with a loop of rope, but also a metal catch, just to make sure it was secure.  Can’t be too careful with these walker types.  Our final afternoon took us to The Camp the site of another deserted medieval village.   Dave carried out an expert piece of ocular surgery and removed a bug from my eye. Thank you Dave!

We entered Muston, the first civilisation and traffic for miles and made our way into Filey.  Ice cream and brews were enjoyed before our final stretch to Filey Brigg.  What a section to finish on.  100 steps up, 100 down, 100 up to reach the Country Park at the top of the cliff.  Sore feet forgotten with the end in sight, we made our way along the cliff top.  We soon spotted Kev and Ken, our welcoming committee, on the car park and together made our way to the finish marker post.

We did it!  Certificates were distributed and pictures taken, with huge smiles all round!

We found Ali and the minibus and made our way back to Pocklington.  Tired but happy, we snoozed our journey back.

Our final dinner at the pub saw several celebratory puddings consumed.  Thanks were made all round for the organisation and hard work that Hilary put in and to everyone for the good company.  Julie had even written another poem – get your tissues ready-


"Thank you Hilary for organising our trip

From Hessle to Filey with never a blip

Up hill and down dale, you have guided us true,

Through beautiful landscapes under skies of bright blue.

The accommodation's been great,

The company the best

And with our certificates we've all passed the test.

For your time and effort, we thank you dear friend

It's just such a shame it all has to end."

Julie Wightman


Click here to view Caroline's pictures.