After the Walk May 2022

Sunday May 29th. Boots and Brews, A May Meander. 10 miles. Leader: Caz Tennant (and Alf)


11 walkers and 4 woof-dogs met at Moss Bank Park.  We set off through the park. We went via the golf course to Barrow Bridge, where we had a good peer at the construction work taking place.  It would appear that either they are building an Olympic swimming pool or a bog snorkelling course.  We began our steady ascent of Winter Hill, via the Trespass Monument.  Reaching the top we stopped for a morning break before we started our descent down towards Belmont.  

We made a stop at the new PNFS sign, commemorating the anniversary of the Trespass, for a photo opportunity.  On reaching Belmont we had a short stretch along the road.  I very nearly extended this section having been distracted by a conversation about walking bags, but thankfully Hilary came to my rescue and prevented disaster.  On the right route again, we made or way around Dingle Reservoir where we stopped for lunch.  Big rocks provided seating with a view over the farmland, or the precarious ledge was available for the brave.

The final section of the walk took us through farm land, passing many horses, some with particularly fine moustaches.  Up through Horrocks Fold, to the childrens farm where we admired the herd of alpaca.  Taking the footpath through the farm we stopped at the shop for refreshments and enjoyed an array of ice cream flavours between us.  Alf woof enjoyed some cone with a spot of both honeycomb and strawberry ice cream. Then back to the cars via Smithills Hall and a route improvement by Phil, which was far superior to my original plan.  

Many thanks to everyone that came and made it an enjoyable walk.  

Caz and Alf


Pictures from Caz and Hilary




Sunday May 22nd. Covid Capers. 20 miles. Leader: Peter Smith.

Thanks to Jane for the photos.



Wednesday May 18th. Return to Clitheroe. 13 miles. Leader: Roger Jackson.


Met in the Park and Ride car park, behind the Clitheroe Train Station, at 10 am. Twelve people and one dog (Fiery Freddie) set off, on a fine day, in the direction of Pendle Hill. Once out of town we continued upwards through a series of fields, past the old Clitheroe Grammar School playing fields, in the general direction of the 'Nick of Pendle' with a good view of our destination ahead with Clitheroe Castle and Church in the distance behind. Over another few fields and we arrived at the Wellsprings (sadly cafe no longer opening in the mornings) for our morning break, all sat on the wall.

From here, now in bright sunshine, we joined the main ridge, heading gradually towards the summit, for our lunch stop with a good view of Barley directly below. Mostly now downhill we headed into Downham where some of us indulged ourselves in the local cafe , mostly with the rather glorious ice creams .

Leaving Downham we then crossed a series of fields to reach the picturesque village of Worston. Next we negotiated the busy Clitheroe (A59) bypass and followed a path along the former Salthill quarry to arrive back to Clitheroe, passing through the Cricket Club on our way back to our starting point at the station for 4.00 pm.

Walk distance was 13 miles and around 1900 ft ascent , walk time 6 hrs.

Many thanks to all who joined me




Pictures from Munawwar.


Pictures from Hilary.


Sunday May 15th. Rushup Edge and Beyond. 16.5 miles. Leaders: Viv Pike, Steve Blackshaw & Roger Jackson.


Six People and one dog set off from Mam Tor Car Park at 8.30 am. The weather forecast had not been very good, so we were delighted that, although there was a little cloud, all was looking fine. We headed up to the top of Mam Tor, then continued along the ridge to Hollins Cross , from where we had wonderful views of the Vale of Edale to the left and Hope, Castleton to the right.

Next onto the top of Lose hill , then dropping down from the ridge and coming very close to the Hope checkpoint on the upcoming LDWA Trans Pennine 100. We stopped at Killhill Bridge for our morning coffee stop. Suitably refreshed we started the long climb up, initially on good track then over steep fields, onto our second ridge starting with Win Hill. Here we were again rewarded with some excellent views in particular LadyBower Reservoir. Weather was now glorious and sunny as we headed down the ridge to our lunch stop at Hope Cross, sat in the sunshine except Bob and Luna who were in the shade.

Setting off after lunch we walked along the Edale Valley, looking across the valley to our mornings route, passing Edale Youth hostel and eventually reaching Edale itself for our afternoon coffee stop at the excellent cafe which also sells cakes and ice cream. Some of the party indulged in an ice cream and one particularly greedy member had a big piece of cake (and enjoyed it).

Fortunately the weather was now slightly cooler as we faced the long climb, up Chapel Gate track back towards the much gentler climb along Rushup Edge. We returned to our starting point for about 4.30 pm. Thanks to all who came for a great day's walking.


Distance 16.5 miles , Ascent 3,400 ft , Time Walking 8 hrs.




Viv, Steve and Roger



Wednesday May 11th. Searching for Freddie's Bridge. 16.75 miles. Leader: Phil Chapman. 


Six walkers and two dogs met to search for Freddie's Bridge. One of the dogs was called Freddie so a double Freddie on the day. Leaving Rivington we made our way over to Blackrod and then on to the canal at Arley Hall where there was a morning coffee break.

Moving on, over fields and back round to the canal walking through Adlington to eventually arrive at our destination. It was a popular ice cream parlour so it would have been rude not to sample one! Poor Freddie dog missed out though.

Over to Limbrick and then a full circuit of Anglezarke Reservoir and back to Rivington completed the day. After a few morning showers the day was fine and the spring flowers and trees were absolutely glorious. A good day with a lot of new paths, shame not many came to enjoy it.



Sunday May 8th. A Breath of Fresh Air. 23 miles. Leaders: Nick Halford, Caz Tennant and Alf.


11 people and Alf-woof met at Conder Green and dutifully paid for our parking.  Another car park user said the machine did not work and did not believe me that it was, even when I wafted my freshly printed ticket at them.

We set off towards Glasson Dock, passing the harbour and the 'Breath of Fresh Air' poster, starring our very own Norman.  On to the topograph and the compulsory group photo.  We then crossed fields to reach the coast.  Thankfully the recent dry weather meant the route was passable, which was not the case on one of the recces.  At the coast we had our first sighting of Plover Scar Lighthouse which features on the route waymark signs.  Onwards down the coast to pass the remains of Cockersands Abbey.  Morning break was taken by the parachute centre.  Alf sends pork pie thanks to Alma, in the absence of Dave - woof!  

We then made a dash across the runway to head on to Cockerham.  After passing through the village, we headed back into farm land where we came across some very curious cows who came to greet us.  Thankfully they were all quite young and were easily held back so we could safely pass.  

As we passed Ellel Grange Hall, Jacqueline came to the walk leaders assistance with her local knowledge.  Tony even came brandishing his Breath of Fresh Air leaflet, to share some facts about the route.  Over more fields and plenty of sheep with their young and onto the canal.  

By this time the sun had come out and made for a very pleasant stroll along the canal.  Wild garlic and bluebells aplenty in the shady cutting and lots of cygnets and ducklings on the water.  We stopped to admire a boat being painted with flowers by its owner.

Lunch was in Lancaster where Ann was marvellous and popped in to the shop to return with 2 boxes of ice creams.  A very welcome treat on a warm afternoon.

The final stretch of canal took us to the Lune aqueduct where we dropped onto the Lune Estuary after admiring the aqueduct.  A wiggle onto the Millenium Bridge took us back onto the river side path as we left Lancaster.  Before we headed onto the last run back to the cars, Hilary remembered the sweety stop, that I had forgotten about, and we share out our sweets to spur us on for the last section.  Whilst a straight shared path, it allowed glimpses of the estuary through the hedges and we even saw two baby stoats on a shady bank beside the path, a final treat before we returned to the cars.


Many thanks to everyone that came along.  It was a cracking day with lovely weather and even better company to share it with.  



Pictures from Caz


Pictures from Hilary



Wednesday May 4th. Slades Rocks. 14 miles. Leader: Hilary Scott.

Seven walkers and four dogs braved slow motorways and showers to gather at Bishop's Park. Setting off a little late we went up to the monument to admire the far reaching views - which just were not visible in the mist.

So, it was off down lanes, track and fields to reach Uppermill where the closed Limekiln cafe at least provided some shelter for morning coffee. Then up, up and up, passing St Chad's and various cottages onto the moor to reach Slades Rocks, the highest point of the walk. Down and down to the outskirts of Diggle for lunch by a village hall.

The climbing wasn't finished as we ascended to look down on Delph, then descended to the village centre. It was then a long slow climb back to Bishop's Park. I was extra mean and made everyone do a final ascent back to the monument to see the views we had missed in the morning. My excuse? it was good training for those who have entered the Hundred. All agreed it was worth it. 

Thanks to those who came. Saddleworth is not an area we visit often and most people had not been before, a new walking experience for them.