After the Walk October 2021

Sunday October 31st. Out on a Lymm. 18 miles. leaders: Dave and Alma Walsh.


The rain was hammering down as 7 East Lancs members together with guests from South Pennine & Merseystride sat in our cars awaiting the 9am start time.

The extra hour in bed in view of the clocks change worked in our favour as after 20 minutes or so the rain thankfully eased. By this time we had walked along the western edge of Lymm Dam & met up with the sodden farmers fields which led us to our morning break at High Legh.


The rain had stopped now & the sun came out as we had a look at the pretty church in High Legh (St Johns). The lady priest dressed in white & gold robes happened to come out & we had a brief chat with her. The original church which was started in 1814 was burnt down in 1891 & the present church constructed in 1893.


From here tracks & fields took us to Dunham Massey for our lunch stop. The weather was still fine & the park was busy with families enjoying this Halloween day. There were plenty of deer to admire. We opted to miss out on the Dunham Massey brewery but found time to visit the farm shop. Further along the road we joined the Trans Pennine Trail which we followed before leaving & making our way to the Bridgewater Canal.


The sky was darkening & we had a very quick drinks stop before heading along the canal back towards Lymm. The rain started with a vengeance as we continued to Lymm village. From Lymm village a walk through a wooded area known as the Dingle took us back to the car park.


Thanks Dave & Alma


Pictures from Dave

Pictures from Hilary


Wednesday October 20th. Over the Limy. Plodder walk, 10 miles. Leader: Mike Lee.


Nine brave souls ignored the dire weather forecast and met on Hud Rake in Haslingden for the “Over the Limy” walk.

It was raining only lightly when we set off up the King’s Highway. At one time the King’s Highway was part of the medieval highway network and an important route, but is now hardly used by traffic.

Leaving the King’s Highway, we followed the Rossendale Way up to the shoulder of Goodshaw Hill. By now the weather was decidedly wet and misty. The original plan was to continue up to the top of Goodshaw Hill and along the ridge linking it to Hameldon Hill, and from there down to Clowbridge Reservoir. However, the ridge was shrouded in misty low cloud and we decided to take a lower level route, dropping to the bottom of the Limy Valley at Loveclough.

From Loveclough we followed the river upstream and emerged onto the main Rawtenstall to Burnley road a short distance from Clowbridge. The rain was becoming increasingly heavy and we decided to stop for lunch in a couple of conveniently placed bus shelters.

After lunch, with the rain getting still heavier, we left the road and took to a track alongside Clowbridge Reservoir and then up a path leading to the top of the moor above the reservoir. On the way up we paused to look at the remains of Gambleside Colliery. Now little more than a fenced-off shaft and piles of stones, this colliery worked from the middle of the nineteenth century until about 1936 and in its heyday employed 30 men underground and others at the pit top.

Just when the rain seemed to be at its heaviest it suddenly stopped as we joined the Rossendale Way path at the top of the moor. This path took us down to Goodshaw Lane and, passing Goodshaw Chapel, we followed the lane steeply down to Crawshawbooth. We even had bursts of sunshine on the way down.

In Crawshawbooth we spent a few minutes in the attractive surroundings of the graveyard of the Quaker Friends’ Meeting House. Then, crossing the Limy once more, we commenced the climb up to Cribden End and then on to the Halo.

After visiting the Halo we descended steeply down the tarmac road back to Hud Rake and the cars.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the walk regardless of the weather!

Thanks to everyone who came.

Mike Lee



Sunday October 17th. Staveley and Kentmere. 14 miles. Leader: Pauline Melia.


The recce for this walk was rather grim. Rain for most of the day with hardly a glimpse of the surrounding fells. Quote - “Ah well, the weather will be better on the day……..surely”.

On the day, eleven waterproof clad souls (incl. Alf who looked less than impressed) met in the centre of Staveley on a very wet and very grey day. It was like the recce all over again! Just as well we’re a hardy bunch.

The recce went out towards Kentmere Park, the plan being to cross a ford before heading towards Kentmere village. However due to the very wet weather the water level at the ford was really high, which meant a hasty replan for the actual walk that took us from Staveley following the River Kent to Scroggs Bridge, Fellfoot and Browfoot, crossing the river at Ullthwaite Bridge. The heavy rainfall made for dramatic river views but due to low lying clouds and mist, not much of the higher ground could be seen.

We continued on a lovely path to Kentmere Hall Plantation and Hall Wood, eventually reaching Kentmere Hall (now a farmhouse). The oldest part of the hall is a 14th century pele tower (built for protection against invading Scots) with extensions added over later centuries.  Heading across fields we arrived at St. Cuthbert’s medieval church for our morning break. The ancient yew tree in front of the church dates back to the reign of William I.  We decided against taking a break inside the church as we were so wet. However we peeked inside to see the quite delightful chapel with beautiful pew kneelers on display, all different and all very colourful.

From Kentmere we started to climb from High Lane to Stile End and along the ridge to Sadgill Wood, eventually crossing the stream at Sadgill. We made our way back across the stream at Till’s Hole and  crossed Cocklaw Fell, Green Quarter Fell and Staveley Head Fell.

We had delayed lunch until we got some shelter. However all we could find was a dry stone wall but fortunately the rain has subsided for a while so we took the opportunity to take a break. As we descended via Park House we took the decision to take a slight short cut at Littlewood Farm, taking us back into Staveley via the dramatic weir, at full force.

Our short cut meant we could have a welcome brew at Wilf’s café, always a joy whatever the weather. Conversation was bizarre, including a discussion about the dangers of scalding milk with boiling water (tea brewers beware!). Alf fell asleep against the radiator – not sure if it was due to the day’s exploits, or the subject matter!


Thanks to Jane for helping me on the recce. Thanks for those that joined me on such an inclement day – the weather was awful but the great company made up for it. I will return and lead another walk in this valley – though I will check the long-range weather forecast first!






Wednesday October 6th. Let's go Flashing around Wigan. 15 miles. Leader: Hilary Scott.


It was a glorious Autumn morning when 10 walkers and 3 dogs met to look at many of the flashes in the Wigan area. Caused by mining subsidence these have now become a haven for birds and wildlife with Pennington Flash named as one of the top spots in the UK. 

Setting off along the canal we walked between several flashes, pausing for a morning coffee near Leigh Marina. Whoever would have thought that Leigh could have a marina? The nearby area was once the site of Bickerstaffe colliery with slag heaps all around. Now, there is new housing and green spaces, reclaimed from the industry.

Leaving the canal we walked through to the edge of Pennington flash and back around parallel to the canal. Leaving the park, through a riding stables and along a track to reach the road. Back to the canal where lunch was taken.

Setting off back on the canal again for a short time and then we set off across fields to another reclaimed park. There was a short stretch along some duckboard which on the recce was rather dodgy but today it was being repaired. The footpath was shut! Problem. In the words of the Bear Hunt song, we couldn't go round, over or under it so we had to go through it! Oh boy, it was hard to balance on the planks, my feet were wet from failing to keep my balance but it certainly brought a sense of adventure to the day. Phil had to wring his sock out watched by us all, he didn't bother with the other one! Lots of points lost there.

On through the park to Bryn where we turned, walked by a newish empty police station and across open fields heading back to the cars. Past yet more flashes to rejoin the canal, then back to the car park.

Thanks to those who came, sorry about the wet feet!





Sunday October 3rd. Clitheroe 60k Part 5. 17 miles. Leader: Roger Jackson.


At 9.00 am nine walkers and one dog (the legendary Poppy the Powerful) set off from the car park in Chipping, on a slightly cloudy morning, which would lead to a mixed day of sunshine and showers. After our team photo, in the car park, a short road walk was followed by crossing several fields, to rejoin the Clitheroe 60K route at the Lime Kiln at Knot Barn.

Here we turned right down to the road which we crossed and followed the track to Townley house. Just before the house itself we turned left over several fields, passing a pretty duck pond and eventually reaching the road to the bridge over the River Hodder. Just before the bridge we turned right over a stile and started a long uphill climb to the top of Longridge fell, our morning coffee stop, with good views back down the hill.

We then headed down through the forest, crossed a field of very long grass before reaching the Clitheroe road. Here we turned left then in approx 200 metres right over a stile and, after several fields, to meet the track to Greengore then eventually our lunch stop at Hurst Green, our most discerning members taking advantage of the lovely little coffee shop.

Suitably refreshed we retraced steps slightly then walked through the grounds of Stonyhurst College followed by short road walk to Stock Bridge. We now left this section of the Clitheroe 60K, turning right over fields and back up to the top of Longridge fell. After following the ridge for approx half a mile we went round the edge of Thornley Hall fell giving us wonderful views of everything below. We were also treated to a rather impressive rainbow just before our final coffee stop.

The last section of the day started down Jeffrey hill (much better than going up it), then across a complicated series of fields and back into Chipping for just after 4.00 pm. An excellent days walk and the weather actually a lot kinder than expected.