After the Walk August 2023

Sunday August 27th. The Bay.... and so much more. 20.5 miles. Leaders: Pauline Melia and Suzanne Corlett.


13 walkers met at Carnforth railway station on a day that had started with torrential rain but thankfully this had stopped by the meet up time and better weather was forecast for the rest of the day. The group consisted of familiar faces and two walkers who joined us for the first time who were made very welcome.

We walked through the town centre to join the Lancaster Canal towpath that took us down to Bolton Le Sands. Here we headed west towards the bay to join the Lancashire Coastal Way. The views along this path are fantastic, over the bay towards Grange, Humphrey Head Point and the southern Lakeland fells beyond.

Skirting by the Old Mill, Wild Duck Hall and Bay View Holiday Park we then reached a tricky section where land and the sea come together - we navigated the very eroded path by jumping from sandy hummock to hummock until we reached the lane after Marsh House Farm that passes the lovely Galley Hall. Across the River Keer to our left we could see the very busy stock car racing circuit where a bank holiday weekend event was taking place.

Over the footbridge at Hagg Wood we made our way into Warton where we stopped for a morning break.

In Warton we took at right onto Borwick Lane where we were treated to a passing tractor rally. There must have been around 40 of them of all shapes, sizes and colours that provided great entertainment before a rather mundane section along roads until we reached Pine Lakes Resort. A footpath skirts the edge of the resort, crossing the Lancaster Canal and dropping into Borwick. The village has some beautiful buildings including the stunning Borwick Hall.

Crossing farmland we then reached the equally attractive village of Priest Hutton. Turning right into a narrow ginnel in the centre of the village we headed towards Capernwray where we stopped for lunch at a tearoom at the side of the canal at Keer Bridge.

A short section along the canal took us away from Capernwray, reaching a lane to pass the Old Hall and then across fields by the Old Hall caravan park. Crossing farmland we headed to Over Kellet. Between Over Kellet and Nether Kellet there is a huge quarry where we took a detour to a new viewpoint provided by the quarry owners. Amazing view and well worth the extra effort.

We followed a wooded path to Nether Kellet, then crossed the M6 and fields that took us back to the canal to briefly retrace our step back into Carnforth.

A grand day with great company and only a little rain, for which we were very grateful.



Wednesday August 23rd. Dean Clough Circuit.  14 miles. Leaders: Nick Halford & Dave Walsh.


14 walkers met near Spring Wood, which should have been 16 but our expected leaders were poorly. Get well soon! The track had been sent to Nick and Dave however, so off we went with slightly nervous substitute leaders.


An early climb to Whalley Nab got the legs going, then down across fields to circumnavigate the eponymous reservoir. Pigs, alpacas and goats were passed and patted by Sadie, and a stuck goat rescued too. From there we went east, skirting Great Harwood and through the Memorial park, turning north along the Martholme Greenway to lunch on Martholme viaduct. This impressive structure spans the Calder valley and was built for coal traffic rather than passengers.


On through Cock wood and Read park, then a stiffer ‘sting in the tail’ climb to Wiswell moor wireless station. I wonder how old you have to be to remember the home service, light and third now?  We had a little rain then, but it was still warm and humid, so not all could face waterproofs as well. Downhill through Deer park wood and pleasant fields to the edge of Spring wood and back to the start.



PS A big thank you to Paul for chopping back the gorse bushes too.


Sunday August 20th. The long distance golfer rides again. 22 miles. Leader: Roger Jackson.


Fourteen walkers set off from the Cheetham Arms pub car park at 09.00 am. The weather was the slightly cloudy, but conditions still warm. After a short walk through the estate we joined a minor road leading to Dunscar Golf club, then continuing past the clubhouse to the bridge at the bottom of Longworth Clough. Here we went up to and along Longworth Road turning right to go round the back of Delph Sailing club, joining the Witton Weavers Way just above Stones Bank.

We then followed this route passing Belmont Reservoir (including a slight diversion due to a navigation error by the leader), giving us a fine view of the Sailing Club, Belmont in the dip and Winter Hill, in the distance, to eventually arrive at the ruin Holinshead Hall, our morning coffee stop and check on the score in the Womens World Cup final, not good news. We then continued into the country park following the River Roddlesworth soon passing our East Lancs sponsored sign post and in about half an hour reaching the reservoir where we turned up right across the fields into Tockholes Village.

From here past Earnsdale and Sunnyhurst Hay reservoirs and up to Jubilee Tower, for our well earned lunch stop with fine views all round. Now refreshed we followed the main ridge, for a mile, then turned left to cross a slightly muddy Darwen Moor and hit the main path down to a ruin just before Blackburn Road where we stopped for a final coffee stop

Here we turned left down to the main road and along Entwhistle reservoir via the top path , reaching a picturesque view of the water and forest below. Continuing on we joined the long track to Turton tower, turning right, just before the tower itself, to go over Turton Golf Club then back to our start via a series of minor roads arriving just after 5.00 pm in time for a pint at the pub before heading off home after a good days walking. Afraid large negative points award for this leader, justified for the navigation error but the extra ones for having squeaky boots did seem a bit harsh.


Many thanks to all who joined me





Click on the link below for Howard's pictures.



Sunday August 13th. The Four Villages in Pendle. 19 miles. Leaders: Paul and Jeanette Banks.


‘14 walkers and 1 dog left Whalley to complete a 19 mile walk, visiting four Ribble Valley villages.   Despite rain being forecast, it remained dry and occasionally sunny throughout the day. 

On reaching the Nick of Pendle at Sabden, we walked across the lower slopes of Pendle Hill, stopping for morning coffee by a deserted old barn, with great views over Longridge Fell and Waddington Fell. 

On reaching Downham (reputed to be the most picturesque and unspoilt old village in Lancashire), both the men and the ladies explored the men’s public toilets there!   For those who are not familiar with these conveniences, the men’s urinals were built in the old pig stalls of a barn!   Walkers also perused a collection of Morgan sports cars on the Ashton Arms car park.

The path took us to Chatburn where lunch was enjoyed overlooking the cricket pitch.  From Chatburn, we walked along the Ribble Way, through Brungerley Sculpture Park and on to Edisford Bridge for our final break.  We were treated to lots of animal friends on the way, including a clutch of Muscovy ducklings, cows and their calves, donkeys and horses.  The Ribble Valley  Light Steamers were running their model steam train by Efisford Bridge while we were there. 

The final trek passing “Fishes and Peggy Hill Farm” took us to Barrow before we ascended to Wiswell Village and through Deer Wood before dropping back to our cars in Whalley.

It was lovely to have one new member and one first time Ldwa walker joining our East Lancs social walk.   They both reported that they enjoyed their day and would be attending again.’





Wednesday August 9th. Merry Mast Meander (Revisited). 15 miles. Leader: Phil Chapman.



Sunday August 6th. Boots and Brews, Alf's Astley Amble. 10 miles. Leader: Caroline Tennant and Alf.


15 walkers and 2 dogs met at Yarrow Valley for a Boots & Brews adventure.  We set off towards Fox Hole Wood to meet the River Yarrow, to eventually reach the main Yarrow Valley visitor centre.  Following the water again, we passed Big Lodge where unfortunately the baby coots were hiding , having made an appearance on the recce. 

To the weir for a photo opportunity and along Drybones, which whilst not a dry section of the path, by the river, was not half as muddy as it usually is.  We then hit our first obstacle.  Less than 48 hours before, the steps leading over the footbridge, had been intact, except for one missing step.  On reaching the bridge we found the steps completely collapsed!  Some climbing, scrambling, leaping and in Alf's case flying, took place as we all found our way over.  It doesn't matter how I describe it, just look at the photos!

After crossing a couple of fields, we made our way back to the Yarrow, through Duxbury and Saunder's Wood.  A welcome phone call then came (thank god, for once, my phone wasn't on silent) and when we reached our morning break, we met up with Paul, Jeanette and Poppy.  I believe I deserve bonus points for gaining rather than losing walkers, though I am happy to keep these in credit for future disasters.  Alf taught Poppy the fine art of under table scrounging.

After our break we crossed over the A6 to join the Leeds Liverpool canal, upon which we headed to Chorley.  Mild disaster struck as I was so busy talking (possibly ranting a bit!) that I missed the bridge I was aiming at coming off at, but a short wiggle through Chorley bought us back on track. 

Passing through the centre of Chorley, we reached Astley Park.  Into the park, I avoided the stocks, even after my minor diversion.  Passing the hall we made our way to the cafe for obligatory brews, before making our way through Judeland Wood and back to the cars.

Thanks to everyone that came and put up with me chunnering on.  You are all marvelous.

Caz and Alf x x





Wednesday August 2nd. Summer Stroll in Lakeland 17 miles. Leader Gordon Stone: Weather : Rain 14°C. 


For the joint walk with Lakeland Group, six walkers met at Elterwater National Trust car park. Taking into consideration the weather forecast, the turnout was potentially more than I envisaged on my drive up from Horwich, comprising two from East Lancs, three from Lakeland and one Irregular.

After allowing a few minutes for any potential latecomers we were off along the riverside and then up through the slate quarries, heading for Little Langdale. Despite the inclement weather, we were all in good spirit.

The morning break was taken at the car park at High Tilberthwaite where I gave the option of a more low level route to Coniston through Yewdale. They were having none of it so we commenced the most challenging climb of the day overlooking Yewdale Beck and Tilberthwaite Gill, a 400 feet climb in half a mile including some mild scrambling where hands were useful.  The steepness then moderated but it is still a further 400 foot climb on to Coniston Moor. Although the weather was poor, the visibility was actually very good and we were able to have excellent views of most of the surrounding summits.There is a small stream to cross. Well it is normally a small stream but today, we benefitted from being able to help each other to cross it.

After the descent into Coniston we allowed one of our number to spend a few minutes exploring the Vintage Shop open in the Ruskin Institute followed by us finding benches on which to eat our lunch. By this time (1pm), the rain ceased sufficiently. 

The afternoon section involved less strenuous climb as we headed up to the beauty spot of Tarn Hows. The only deviation from the Spring in Lakeland route was to miss out the descent to Glen Mary Bridge and climb back up. One thing that was noticeable was the devastation caused by Storm Arwen and Storm Eunice with a multitude of uprooted large trees. In contrast, the record breaking rainfall of recent weeks has meant that the waterfalls were in full force. The good visibility with a high cloud base provided awesome views for our afternoon break across to Swirl How, Wetherlam and the Langdale Pikes.

I included a slight extension from my planned route when I realised the route I was using was from an earlier version of the Spring In Lakeland which on my most recent participation, had been rerouted down to High Park, adding about half a mile. As some of the walkers were using my walk as a reconnaissance for next April’s Spring Into Lakeland, I ensured they were aware of the relevant points around Skelwith Bridge.

We arrived back at Elterwater covering 17 miles just before 5.30, having thoroughly enjoyed the day, despite the weather, after which some of us enjoyed a pint in the local pub.

There is also potential to shorten the route by deviating from the Spring In Lakeland route.