June Jamborees

Wednesday June 28th. Singing Ringing Tree. 15 miles. Leader: Barbara Sheldon.


The Magnificent Seven set off undeterred from Towneley Park for a 15 mile paddle, errrr, pootle around the countryside. We were able to see our objective on the skyline from the car park, a tiny speck on the horizon which we wouldn’t see up close till mid-afternoon.

I have been known to say that it rarely rains all day in this country, but today was true to the forecast, which is presumably why so many opted to stay in bed/do the housework/watch paint dry. Well you missed out and we all feel very virtuous now!

A lot of the route was on the Burnley Way, firstly heading north then east to reach Lea Green reservoir where a welcome coffee break was had. Then we headed south to Worsthorne and Hurstwood Reservoir, with Curlews’ and Oystercatchers’ haunting calls along the way.

Shedden Clough Limestone Hushings provided a bench and some tree shelter for lunch before we pressed on. A stretch on the Pennine Bridleway took us down to Holme Chapel where one of the Seven took the bus to Burnley for some important shopping – what an excuse! So then somebody suggested we should be called the Sexy Six, maybe on account of Bernard’s shorts, but I’m not convinced we fitted the bill!

After a long and at times sharp ascent we finally achieved our objective, the Singing Ringing Tree at Crown Point, by mid-afternoon. One of four Panopticons in Lancashire, it has commanding views over Burnley, and the Three Peaks (well normally but not today). It chose not to sing to us today – it is known to be fickle – but was nevertheless a visual treat.

The route back to Towneley took us down Copy Clough on tricky paths, around a golf course and past the old coke ovens (now overgrown), finishing with a mileage of exactly 15 miles (after a quick turn round the toilet block). The café was bypassed in favour of getting home as quickly as possible for hot baths, hot toddies and probably hot water bottles! It was fun though, honest.

Barbara Shelton



Saturday June 24th. Who Pays The Ferryman? Wyre Way Part 1. 16 miles. Leaders: Hilary Scott, Caroline Tennant & Nick Halford.


Thirteen walkers and four doggy friends met to tackle this, the first part of the Wyre Way. Today's walk was a complete circuit of the mouth of the Wyre. Leaving Wyre Country Park we soon arrived at the old port of Skippool which was once the most important one on the Wyre before the arrival of Fleetwood docks. Nowadays Skippool is home to an upmarket yacht club but there are many old jetties and rusting boats and barges which serve as a reminder of its past. 

Just before reaching the main road we turned left and made our way over fields and then marshland to Shard Bridge. This is the first bridge inland and was once a Toll bridge. Here we crossed the Wyre for the first time today and continued on the marshland near the water for a couple of miles. The tide came in quickly as we walked and there was much debris from previous storms and high tides.

Reaching another small port called Wardleys we stopped for morning coffee on a grass verge. From Wardleys to Knott End the Way comes inland slightly though the river remains in view. Fleetwood also became more visible on the opposite bank. On reaching Knott End golf course the three leaders were very relieved to spot the ferry making its way across the water. One or two of the group were distinctly underwhelmed though, someone said it looked like a bath tub bobbing about! The tide was very high by this point and a brisk wind was making the water quite choppy. Bad conditions could prevent the ferry running but not today, the Wyre Rose made its way over from Fleetwood and we all boarded. I was asked why I hadn't advised people to bring sea sickness tablets though!! We all paid the ferryman and crosssing the Wyre for the second time only took a few minutes. I think everyone enjoyed the experience. (There wasn't a plan B if the ferry wasn't running, we would have had to return the way we had come!)

Lunch was taken in a shelter on the front and we then left the Wyre for a few miles to follow the sea round to Rossall. The brisk wind certainly blew any cobwebs away. There was a detour onto the adjoining road due to an ongoing sea wall defence scheme designed to protect low lying housing in this part of Fleetwood. Blackpool Tower was spotted but we turned off before long, passing Rossall School and made our way back inland. After passing a petting farm and large caravan site it was back onto a quiet path at the side of the large Burn Naze works. The Wyre came back into view and it was not long before we were back at the Country Park.

Most of the group stayed for an ice cream at the cafe here. The promised light rain had not made an appearance and it was warm in the intermittent sunshine.

Thanks to all who came, see you on the next part of the Wyre Way!


Thanks to Caroline for the pictures below

Pictures below from Hilary




Sunday June 18th. Red Rose 50 Part 2. 25.5 miles. Leader: Viv Lee.


26 walkers including Sharon, a visitor, left a little later than planned for our journey to Mellor Brook. It was forecast to be hot and sunny and it was certainly that! The heat took a few casualties even though Lauren, Viv's daughter was commissioned to meet us with a supply of water.

One of the walkers actually walked himself to standstill, literally. Viv and Barbara managed to get him back to Hawkshaw which was downhill, where his wife met him.

The delay caused the group to split up, so there were only 7 of us finishing in the final group.



Click here for Ken's pictures.


Click here for Howard's pictures.


Wednesday June 14th. Red Rose 50 Part 2. 14 miles. Leaders: Chris Langabeer, Ian Pickup, Norman Thomas.


21 walkers.14miles. Weather: warm and dry.

After assembling at the Clog and Billycock P.H. our coach took us back to the start of the walk at White Coppice.
After the usual photo shoot and the speech from Norman😴 we walked around the cricket ground to meet and walk through pleasant woodland alongside "The Goit " sometimes spelled Goyt which is a canal used to transport drinking water along the Rivington chain of reservoirs.

We arrived at Brinscall and after a short break we made our way to the Hamlet of Pike Fold. After a short climb we arrived at Ollerton Fold with its red sandstone properties. Next came a descent to the Leeds Liverpool canal which we followed for several miles.

Leaving the canal at Riley Green we then arrived at the Lodge and entrance driveway to Hogton Tower. The next destination on our journey was the tranquil hamlet of Houghton Bottoms where lunch was taken. Walking through pleasant countryside the party arrived at the Estate wall of Woodfold Hall, which is 9ft high and 4 miles long. We then sneaked through a gateway to see the impressive 18th century Hall. The whole estate was once owned by Thwaites Brewery but the hall fell into disuse after WW2. In recent years It was restored into top quality accommodation with a 2 bedroom apartment on the market to rent at £1750 per month and others commanding a £500,000 sale price.

Onwards to reach Mellor Brook, where a short break was taken then came a steep climb to reach Mellor. After walking through the attractive village we crossed the busy A677 road before the final ascent of the day to reach our cars. After a change of footwear most members of the group enjoyed a pleasant drink in the Clog and Billycock.

Ian, Norman and myself thank everyone for coming on the walk and hope to see you all on the 3rd leg of our RR50 walk on Wednesday 12th August.

Thank you to Tracey for the photos below.


Wednesday June 7th. Blacko Beat. 14 miles. Leader: Bernard Hedley.


23 members and guests (and 3 dogs) set off from Barrowford on a fair day, with the promise of sunshine before the rain scheduled to arrive mid-afternoon.

We left Barrowford by the Pendle Way up to Blacko, catching sight of grey herons wading and on the wing along the way. We crossed the road and ascended Blacko hillside, in the lee of Stansfield Tower, with some members harking back to days when the land owner actually welcomed walkers who wanted to visit the tower. We progressed along the hillside then descended down towards Foulridge, passing Foulridge Hall, before heading north to our coffee stop at Dawbers Farm, where we fought off the attentions of two curious/hungry horses.

We walked on through fields, including some glorious buttercup meadows, that were surprisingly dry after the rain of the previous few days. We were overlooking a stretch of the Leeds Liverpool canal, arguably the most scenic stretch of its entire length.

Then we walked up to Copy Nook and onto Lister Well Road. It was along this rocky road that disaster struck Chris, as he “threw a shoe”. The entire sole of his right boot disintegrated and he bravely battled on for the rest of the day practically barefoot on one side. That rocky road must have been quite painful! He sportingly enjoyed the punning which kept the party amused for the rest of the day. (Insert your own gags here).

We bumped into the Pendle Way again and walked up to Star Hall then down to the Moorcock Inn and our lunch stop on the hillside overlooking the road. Lovely views but not a place to linger due to the stiff breeze.

After a quick lunch, we walked down to Admergill pastures then up to Burn Moor. We saw several buzzards in flight, with a few angry crows chasing them off.

We were still in sunshine, although there was a hint of rain in the air. Fortunately, we made it back to Barrowford in the dry, via Roughlee, just after 4 pm, after a bit of marble-rolling down a few hills, and walking up a few more. We walked 14 miles with about 2,750 feet of ascent. All agreed it was a pretty hard walk but the views throughout the day compensated. And in the last field of the day a young deer was spotted by the eagle-eyed members – a sight that always makes everybody’s day.

Thanks to all who attended and made it a very enjoyable day.



Sunday June 4th. Settle Surprise. 16 miles Leader: Norman Thomas.


Twelve walkers and one dog took part today.  On the way up to Settle Jemma checked the weather on her phone, rain forecast to fall approximately 11:00am but as we left Settle at 9:00am the weather was sunny and warm.  We made our way up to Giggleswick, onwards to the Quarry then to Feizor Hamlet where we had a short break.  Then onwards on Back Lane towards Austwick and then the wonderful Wharfe Woods, the bluebells were very nice (at its best the wood is famous for its show of bluebells). A long climb up to Smearsett Scar with wonderful views to the 3 Peaks and around.  We made our way to Stainforth’s Pack Horse bridge and had lunch at the side of the River Ribble, unfortunately no salmon leaping today.


After lunch we made our way up to Stainforth village then up Goat Scar Lane to Catrigg Force Waterfall and onwards past Jubilee Cave and Victoria Cave.  Over to Attermire Scar, a wonderful sight with the sun on it, you could think you were in a wild west setting. Past Sugar Loaf hill and down Lambert Lane to arrive in Settle at 4:00pm.  The walkers all agreed that the walk, the weather and the company were brilliant and it was a bonus that the rain never came, we had wall to wall sunshine.

Out of the 12 walkers 4 were completely new to East Lancs and came because of the mileage, 16 miles.

Thanks to all the walkers.


PS: Some of us went for a beer and then fish & chips – wonderful!


Click here for Howard's pictures.