After the Walk January 2024

Ambleside Weekend 26-29th January.



Wednesday January 24th.Taking Stock. 13 miles. Leader: Stephen Hindley.


12 walkers met for a 13 mile circular walk from Slaidburn with the forecast of a dry day and sunny intervals although a little breezy, this was the tail end of storm Jocelyn

Leaving Slaidburn alongside the river Hodder we headed along good tracks to the east of Stocks reservoir towards Gisburn forest. Once over the causeway it was a short distance to the picnic area where we took our morning break

Leaving the forest it was then a gentle climb past New House before descending down Parks Clough then up to Skaithe Road. Now on the west side of the reservoir it was along the line of the old railway track which was used for the construction of the dam in the 1930’s

Our lunch stop was taken on the pontoons which were used to moor the boats used by the anglers before the fishery closed. Along the access road we then did a loop via Croasdale House and Myttons before dropping back down into Slaidburn 




Sunday January 21st. A Walk on the Tame Side. 18 miles. Leader: Paul Kielty.


9 walkers met at Clayton Vale for a 18 mile circular walk around east Manchester and Tameside. The forecast was for a wet and windy day, in the end it turned out okay.

We had our first break at the cafe at Daisy Nook country park. We then made our way up to Hartshead Pike, then descended to lunch break in Ashton.

We then followed the Ashton canal to the Etihad Stadium through Philips park to where the cars were parked. Finished around 2.30pm.



Wednesday January 10th. Haigh and Hay Stack. 13 miles. Leader: John Shortt.


23 Walkers and one dog met at Borsdane Woods for a 13 mile loop in the Haigh area.  This was the first walk I have led since joining East Lancs LDWA.  The weather had been dry for a few days prior to the walk and conditions were good (considering it is January). 

A challenge was laid down to say why the title of the walk was called ‘Haigh and Hay Stack’ and first prize was a coffee.  The answer involved cockney rhyming slang and sadly there were no correct answers.

The first few miles of the route took us along lesser used paths passing Blackrod and Little Scotland.  We then descended on a disused railway line which took us to the Leeds and Liverpool canal.  We passed my house, which was fortunate as I was able collect the sandwiches I had forgotten.  

Following lunch at the courtyard at Haigh we passed Haigh Hall which is currently undergoing major refurbishment.  We went back to the canal and then through Hindley Hall golf course.  Eventually we came to Borsdane Woods and followed the path back our cars arriving at 3.15pm.

I enjoyed planning and leading this walk.  I will do another soon.




Sunday January 7th. The Shorter Guild Wheel. 19 miles. Leaders: Paul and Jeanette Banks.


19 walkers and 1 dog met next to the old Shawes Arms on London Road in Preston to commence a 19 mile shortened version of the Guild Wheel walk.     The Preston Guild Wheel encircles the city of Preston, and is a walking and cycling route of 21 miles for the complete route.   We enjoyed beautiful frosty weather on the walk with occasional sunshine.   This was an ideal route after all of the wet weather with dry paths throughout the day.


Leaving the Shawes Arms we followed the Guild Wheel along the River Ribble to Brockholes Nature Reserve at Samlesbury.   It was a former sand and gravel quarry which has been transformed into a nature reserve and is a natural haven for wild birds and waterfowl. 


The walk continued on the Wheel until morning break taken at The Peter Ward Memorial Garden.  Peter Ward was involved in the creation of the Guild Wheel in 2012, and the garden created in his memory in 2017 after his death.


We had lunch at the UCLAN Sports Arena cafe area, where there was plenty of seating for all (and toilets!).   The walk detoured from the Guild Wheel at Leah making our way through Ashton Park to Preston Docks and rejoined the Guild Wheel at the River Ribble.   Passing through Avenham and Miller Parks, we returned to the start of the walk.  The cold weather and flat dry conditions enabled a brisk walk that finished unexpectedly early at 3.30pm.