After the walk April 2024

Wed April 24th. Flash in the Pan. 14.5 miles. Leaders: Dave and Alma Walsh.



Twenty walkers plus Poppy & Alf set off at 10am. The weather forecast was good & a reasonably mud free walk was expected.


A path from the car park led us along the side of the Flash to the Bridgewater canal. We headed east & passed Leigh town centre to our left hand side. We left the canal & picked up the Glazebrook Trail after crossing the busy East Lancs road. Shortly after we had our morning break at Windy Bank Wood. 4.5 miles covered.


There are some big fields around here & a particularly large one took us under the railway line to Light Oaks Hall. Soon after we left the Glazebrook Trail & another adjacent path led us past Holcroft Hall. We then walked through an even bigger field to Culcheth where lunch was taken in the yard of Newchurch Parish Church. Plenty of benches for all. 8 miles covered.


A walk through the village & we arrived at Culcheth Linear Park formed from an old railway line. From the park, fields & a quiet road & then further fields led us back to the East Lancs road which this time we crossed South to North.


Through fields heading North we hit our first bit of real mud after crossing a bridge over a stream, but everyone took it in their stride with just a few gripes. We were now fast approaching Pennington Flash again & a bit of road walking & paths took us to the waters edge in bright, warm sunshine. Following the edge of the Flash paths took us back to the cars.


Thanks to all who attended.


Dave & Alma.

Sunday April 21st. Two Dales and Two Moors. 19 miles. Leader: Steven Gilleard.


At 9.00am on Sunday 21/4/24 twelve Walkers including one dog set off from the National Park carpark at Buckden for a 19 mile walk around Upper Wharfedale and Littondale.

The weather was fine and it was soon commented upon how dry the path was underfoot, a welcome change after all the mud of the winter and early spring.

We followed the River Wharfe North along the Dales Way to Hubberholme and crossing the bridge we passed the Church of St Michael and All Angels where the Ashes of the writer JB Priestley are buried.

Following the riverside paths festooned with Hawthorn in blossom we soon crossed the river again at Yockentwaite before starting the long climb to Horsehead Gate. Arriving at the Gate at 11am a few of the party decided to take the the short detour north to bag the Trig Point at the summit of Horse Head 605m, whilst the rest of us took a longer break.

Heading down now into Littondale we passed the hamlet of HaltonGill. Arriving at Foxup we realised that 4 of our group were missing, after catching up with us they told us that they had spotted a dead ewe with a lamb and had gone to report it to the farm Halton Gill.

Crossing Foxup Bridge we now followed the River Skirfare south down Littondale.

The valley soon widened out as we walked through a landscape of large fields with dry stone walls, one of which looked like it was in the midst of being completely rebuilt. Sheep with newborn lambs grazed in the now warm spring sun.

After passing the village of Litton (on the opposite side of the river) we walked along a riverside path, thick with primroses and very close to the almost dry river bed.

Lunch was now taken at 1.30pm at Guilderbank next to the ruins of a barn and dry stone wall.

Reaching Arncliffe we passed the Falcon Inn which has been used as a filming location for the TV series of Emmerdale and All Creatures Great and Small.

Crossing the River Skirfare again we began our second climb of the day with a scramble up Park Scar and walk over Middlesmoor Pasture, then a steep descent through a rock band which would take us back into Wharfedale.

A short detour into Kettlewell Village was now taken at 4pm after requests to the leader were made for ice creams and coffees.

Refreshed we now began our final 4 miles along the River Wharfe and Dales way in the now warm afternoon sun to arrive back at Buckden just before 6pm


19 miles and 720 metres of ascent


Steven Gilleard



Sunday April 14th. A Treat from Todmorden. 21 miles. Leader: Steve Clark.


A walk from Todmorden taking in a variety of terrains - old pack horse trails; open moorland; reservoirs; steep-sided, wooded valleys; canal tow-path.  12 walkers.


We climbed out of Todmorden towards Whirlaw Rocks, following ancient tracks to Mount Cross, said to be from the 7th century.  We climbed to Hoof Stones Height and agreed it was too draughty to stop there for long.  Crossing over an area of pathless moor we found shelter at the rocks of Hare Stones that provided reasonable comfort for a coffee stop.


Passing Gorple Upper and Gorple Lower reservoirs we dropped down to take a lunch-break by Black Dean.  The ever delightful Hardcastle Crags was followed and eventually the river was crossed by the stepping stones below the scout camp.  A steady climb brought us to the village of Heptonstall.  We dropped by the initially steep path to the edge of Hebden Bridge.  The final climb of the day, up Horsehold Lane was rewarded by a break next to a bench looking back over the Calderdale Valley to Heptonstall.  From here our journey followed under Stoodley Pike, along London Road to Mankinholes.  Down from here through field systems to the Rochdale Canal and then back to Todmorden.  A model of Stoodley Pike was visited before we arrived back at the carpark having clocked up exactly 21 miles.




Click on the link below for Howard’s photos of the day.



Wednesday April 10th. Witton Whippets Way. 14 miles. Leader: Caz Tennant and Alf.



Bravery like it has not been known for many years.  10 joined me on the walk I had described as 'quite muddy'.  They were all warned!!


We met up by the cafe at Tockholes, just as the drizzle started.  The weather forecast did not bode well at all, with rain predicted for most of the day.

We set off into the woods and around the Roddlesworth reservoirs, towards Abbey village.  The good paths and tracks gave everyone a false sense of hope.  As we took the Witton Weavers Way North, the mud began.  A couple of boggy fields before passing through Bradley Farm.  Then came the section we had been warned by the farmer, 'you need wellies'.  Ha, we didn't need wellies!  But I was glad of waterproof trousers and gaiters. More squelching to go under the M65, before a quick, wet, break at the canal.

Through the old paper mill, across soggy fields to meet the River Darwen.   An adventure climbing over and under a fallen tree.  Alf lead the way, finding us the best path through the obstacle.  Onwards along the muddy path by the Darwen, passing the weir and under the railway bridge to reach Hoghton Bottoms.  A short section of road took us back to the river to cross over and looking back enjoyed the sight of a steam train passing by.

Off towards Pleasington along Throstle Nest Brow.  Muddy, but also a cracking view when you look back.  Lunch was had at the church in Pleasington.  The rain had eased off, but it was still quite soggy.  After a towel off and a dry fleece change, Alf enjoyed sausages and of course some pork pie.  

After admiring the church, we continued through Witton park to Cherry tree.  Nearly lost the walk leader enroute after I very nearly collided head first with a metal barrier.  From Cherry tree we went via a new estate, to pass around land being developed for more housing.  A quick sweety stop helped us under the motorway and then along possibly the muddiest path of the day.  Along the side of the motorway, between fences, there was no escaping the mud (though Alf did try).  More muddy fields bought us to Tockholes and finally some relief from the mud with a bit of road walking through the village, before a bit more mud, and then a final bit of mud to get us back to the cars.


We were lucky that the forecast downpours never came, although it was a damp, drizzly day.  We were not so lucky with the mud, which proved to be far worse than I predicted, and I had said it would be bad!  It would appear that I had chosen the route by linking up all the muddiest paths in the area.


Thank you to everyone that came along and suffered the slog through the bogs and mud.  I hope you all, eventually, forgive me.


Caz and Alf x


Wednesday April 3rd. A Plod Round Three Reservoirs. 10 miles. Leader: Roger Jackson.


A good turnout of fourteen walkers, considering the weather, though disappointingly again no dogs brave enough to join us ( Sorry to say Alfie is failing in his job as canine liaison officer, we may need to re-consider his position ), set off from the Chapeltown Rd car park, on a rather wet morning.

We walked down under the railway bridge then right along a minor road before turning left onto a track leading down to Jumbles Reservoir. Then up the steps, past the main car park , temptingly open cafe and eventually started walking alongside the reservoir continuing right to the end where we  followed the stream up to hit the road and walked up to the  start of Wayoh Reservoir, with a break in the rain making it an excellent place for our morning coffee stop.


Now in slightly better weather  we then walked the length  of Wayoh then turned left uphill towards Entwhistle , past the Strawberry Duck pub and then down to the reservoir. We weaved in and out round the lakeside bends eventually reaching the bridge at the top of the lake for our lunch stop at the benches nearby , of course it started to rain again.


After lunch we crossed the bridge and walked down the far side of the lake, through the car park at the bottom then alongside  Wayoh and at the end turning onto the road through Chappletown. Just before Turton Tower we took a left turn to join Jumbles Reservoir, now in good weather,  following the track along the bank for approximately one mile then taking a right turn to take us back to the Car Park.


An excellent walk ( though as usual minus points for the leader) , despite the generally bad weather, many thanks for all who joined me.