After the Walk January 2022

Sunday January 30th. In Our Back Yard. 19 miles. Leader: Dave Walsh.


Another good turnout, 26 walkers, should have been 27 but joint leader Alma was unable to attend, plus 3 dogs. The weather was cool & fine & we set off at a good pace over the country park towards Little Hulton passing the giant warehouses on the Logistic North Industrial Estate.

Turning south we crossed the Manchester to Southport railway line & passed the dog kennels at Common Fold farm. Tracks took us to the guided busway route which we followed to Astley Park in Tyldesley where we had our morning break.

A bit of road walking & a track through a wood led us to Gin Pit village. From there we walked through Colliers Wood to re cross the Guided busway & entered Lilford Park woods. After the woods we entered Lilford Park where we had an early lunch.

Tracks then led us to Atherton & a bit more road walking before fields led us to the edge of Cutacre. A path by a stream led us to the main road which we crossed & then passed the monument to the Pretoria Pit Disaster. A wet uphill track led to the woods which still has remnants of the old coal workings. We then headed north over farmer's fields which form part of the Hulton Estate & had an afternoon break.

After negotiating Chequerbent roundabout a path led us to Wigan Rd which we crossed & followed farmer's fields to a bridge over the M61 back to the cars.

Thanks to all who attended,




Pictures from Jeanette and Dave.



Wednesday January 26th. Clitheroe 60k Part 6. 15.5 miles. Leader: Roger Jackson.


On a cold but clear morning fourteen people and two dogs ( Poppy the Powerful and Lola the Stroller) set off from a Car Park in Clitheroe for the the sixth and final leg of the Clitheroe 60K. Heading initially through the Castle park for our initial group picture with a good view of the castle in the background.

We then went down to Edisford Bridge to join the Ribble Way before following the river down to Great Mitton where we had our early morning coffee stop, in front of the delightful church. Off again , still on the Ribble Way, we had a road walk to Lower Hodder Bridge , then followed a good path along the river Hodder eventually turning downwards and skirting Stonyhurst School to reach our lunch stop at Hurst Green with seating and an excellent cafe which some of us took advantage of to indulge in coffee and cake to go with our pack lunches.

Following lunch we walked through Stonyhurst grounds and joined the Clitheroe 60K route. After going through a series of fields we again reached the River Hodder following it for approximately half a mile to Higher Hodder Bridge. From here it was through a series of fields back to Edisford . Then after crossing a small bridge made our way back to Clitheroe via a wonderful view of the the weir, on the Ribble, and Waddow Hall. Many Thanks to everyone who joined me.


Cheers Roger


Pictures from Jane and Hilary.


Ambleside Weekend. 21st-24th January. 


Pictures from Jeanette

Saturday 22nd January



Sunday January 23rd Ambleside Walk Two - The Coffin Route 13.5 miles. Leader Roger Jackson


On a slightly cloudy but dry day twelve people and one dog ( Poppy the Powerful ) set off on foot from our weekend base , The Old Vicarage in Ambleside.

Initially through Rothay Park , then a long walk uphill to the bottom of Loughrigg Fell. From there we followed an undulating path, with excellent views in all directions, to reach Loughrigg Tarn, round the tarn then we dropped down through a a caravan park, to Skelwith Bridge. Here we followed the Brathay River for a short time before stopping for our morning coffee break.

Next we continued to Elterwater and on to Chapel Stile. From there we initially contoured the fell, back over Elterwater, then headed over the top and dropped down to Grasmere Lake and eventually the town for a late lunch stop at the Gardening Centre.

Following lunch we followed the Coffin Route down the far side of the lake and then through Rydal Park back into Ambleside just in time for a Jacuzzi at the Old Vicarage followed by pint ( for some of us).

Cheers Roger




Sunday January 23rd. Boots and Brews. 10 miles. Leader: Caroline Tennant (and Alf)


Boots & Brews #1 – A January Jaunt

Boots & Brews started as a middle of the night thought, today it became a reality.  The idea started off as a plan for a series of walks to encourage new members; to give people an opportunity to come and meet us, enjoy a walk and find out about us and the LDWA.  And also, for any LDWA member to come along, enjoy a walk and share their knowledge of East Lancs and its varied activities.

Mild panic as the A6 is blocked by a Convoi Exceptionnel with a police escort.  Thankfully it cleared after a few minutes and we made it to the car park in plenty of time.  Signs out to direct any new people unfamiliar with the car park.  As lots of East Lancs members were in Ambleside on a group weekend, I had no idea how many people would turn up and so further mild panic occurred.

By 09.00 we had an amazing 17 humans and 4 dogs ready to set out.  (Amazing to me anyhow, I had visions of 3 adults and 1 Alf dog!)  An assortment of regulars, not so regulars, new members and prospective members.  Alf helped walk lead and with group publicity in his East Lancs hiviz jacket.

We set off over to Astley Park, approaching through the woods to reach Astley Hall and the ornamental lake.  Group photo stop in front of the hall, Alf even managed to look in the right direction, no squirrels necessary. Through the edge of Chorley and onto the Leeds Liverpool canal for a stretch.  After crossing back over the A6, we stopped for a short break at some picnic benches.  Copies of Strider were bought out to show everyone what type of articles and information they contain. 

We continued on through Duxbury woods and some mild mud, over fields with average mud and onto the bank of the River Yarrow for some serious mud.  Discussions were held throughout the walk as to what people wanted from these introductory walks and the future of the series developed over the day.  Once we passed into Yarrow Park we rounded the lake to the café.  No sign of the resident kingfisher, but many cormorants.  We had a break at the café, making use of the facilities available.  It was a slightly longer break than on a normal walk, but again, this gave people an opportunity to talk and with the walk being shorter, we had time to do so.

The final section of the walk took us along the banks of the Yarrow.  Thankfully the section behind the quarry was not flooded today, so there was no need for the diversion through the woods, or to tip water out of our boots.  Then over the last fields to bring us back to the car park.

Many thanks to everyone that came along and made this first walk a success.  Thank you for suffering my questions about the walk and walking plans, all your comments and suggestions will go into shaping future walks.

See you all on the next one!


Caroline and Alf (woof!)


Pictures from Jane and Hilary




Sunday January 16th. Three Canals and a Pike. 19 miles. Leader: Paul Kielty.


16 people and 3 dogs set off from Debdale Park at 8.30 on a Sunday morning. The weather was fair. Onto the old Stockport canal, from there we headed up to the Ashton canal towards Droylsden. We then left then canal and went through Droylsden, over the M60 on to Daisy Nook country park where we had morning break.


From there we went through Bardsley's Brew and on to Park Bridge, past the heritage centre. We then made our way up to Hartshead Pike which was covered in a mist,  we were unable to appreciate the surrounding views .


We then made our way through Ashton town centre (a much needed toilet stop), on to the Ashton canal, came off the canal into the Moravian centre at Droylsden. Through Debdale park past Hero wood and onto the finish. 19 miles altogether.



Pictures from Jeanette, Jane and Hilary.




Wednesday January 12th. Parklife. 13.5 miles. Leaders: Dave and Alma Walsh.


An impressive turnout of 19 walkers set out on a dry but dull day.

There were several new faces, some trying out the LDWA for the first time.


We crossed a bridge over the River Croal & then followed a wooded path above the river to Nob End Nature Reserve. We recrossed the river over Wilson's Bridge & then followed another wooded path uphill. This path runs alongside the Bolton to Manchester train line & we passed close to Kearsley Station.


The River Croal to our left had now joined the River Irwell. We continued on passing through a small housing estate & the Power Station to reach our morning break stop at Clifton Country Park. There was plenty of seating for everyone with a view across the marina. The open space in front of us was filled with dog walkers & their canine friends.


We continued along a path with the river still to our left until we crossed a bridge on to the other side & continued in the same direction towards Manchester. The path then bent round & we followed tracks passing a lake to our left heading back towards Farnworth.


We had lunch sat on some concrete blocks (old tank traps according to one knowledgeable member) & then continued on following paths to cross the M60 motorway. Now heading north west we followed the Irwell Sculpture Trail for a couple of miles before crossing the Irwell again. Uphill to the old Bolton to Bury canal we headed West to have an afternoon break at the Mecanno Bridge.


From there it was a short stroll along the canal before dropping down back into Moses Gate Country Park where our cars were parked. Thanks to everyone who attended.


Dave & Alma


Photos from Hilary, Jeanette and Dave.