Winter snows in

Wednesday December 20th. Boulsworth Hill, Wycoller and Trawden. 14 miles. Leader: Peter Smith.


On a damp and misty morning ten cheerful members set out across Thursden Valley from the Car Park.
In fact the weather remained the same all day, so there is little to say about the views of the area but I can assure everyone they are worth visiting again another time.
Personally I do not recall walking all day and having zero viewing before, while navigating and trying to keep to the paths was tricky, there was some element of stimulation and satisfaction given the conditions.
Also the group where good company and a pleasure to lead.
Climbing up the Hebden Bridge road out of the valley, we took the path right above the cattle grid up onto Extwistle Moor and met the junction of tracks on the Mary Townley Trails.
Bearing left here to cross the moor and back to the Hebden Road, straight across to join the Oil Road onto the Back access for the summit of Boulsworth Hill.
From the trig point we made our way off via the Giant Saucer Stone and onto the Antley Gate track, connecting both the Hebden Bridge & Howarth Road’s.
Crossing a number of fields and farms we made our way over to Wycoller and had lunch in the barn, we where disappointed to find in the cafe closed.
Undeterred and fortified, we made our way through field paths to join the track above Trawden and along to Far Wanless, dropping down to Hollin Mill bowling green, across the road and up to Alderhurst.
From here it was a short section of moorland and into a conifer wood, leading up onto the Antley Gate track again and bearing right towards Coldwell Reservoirs.
Picking up the Hebden Bridge Road again between the reservoirs, turning left and taking the first stile right back across a number of fields and back to the Car Park.
Leader: Pendle/Poncho Pete Smith.
A wet day on the hills




Sunday December 17th. Christmas Cracker 2017. 14 miles. Leader: Norman Thomas.


Norman’s 21st Christmas Cracker

There were over 40 walkers and 3 well behaved dogs.  Most walkers had festive hats on and joined into the spirit of Christmas.  We made our way through Rivington Woods, up to Wilderswood then onto the road/track towards Rivington Pike.  We then came across sheet ice, not good at all, but being the group we are we took it on and got through it safely onwards to the Pike.

We met many runners going up to the Pike, several of them we know very well indeed and we stopped to exchange Christmas greetings.  We continued onwards through the Japanese Gardens then to the decorated Christmas tree where we broke into song with ‘Winter Wonderland’ and ‘We Wish You a Merry Christmas’ followed by a minutes silence for absent friends no longer with us. 

East Lancs Choir 2017.


We then made our way to our lunch stop at The Bay Horse in Adlington where we enjoyed Hot Pot and good beer, well done Karl and his team, A1 again, thanks.  Then down to the canal and on to Cowling and onwards over very very muddy fields (sorry about that, it must have rained a lot since I recced it), onwards back to Rivington Village.

What can I say, the weather was the worst we’ve ever had for a Christmas Cracker walk in 21 years.  Never mind you were all amazing and took it in your stride.  Thanks for not giving me grief, thanks a million.

Stormin Norman

PS: A big thank you to my long suffering wife Betty for making the cakes for the last 21 years.

PS: We had a collection at the pub in memory of Colin, brother of Viv and Barbara, and we raised a record £125, very well done. See below for receipt and thanks.


LDWA donation to Tribute Fund


Click here for Peter's pictures.


Pictures below from Tracey

Pictures below from Hilary


Wednesday December 6th. A Dog of a Walk. 14.5 miles. Leader: Gerald Dentith.

Despite a good number of our regulars away on their annual jollies at Ghyll Head & Storm Caroline imminent eleven of us, including new member David & three dogs gathered in Baxenden for this midweek walk.
From the car park we crossed the main road and headed West towards Green Howarth before turning South to pick up the Rossendale Way for a short while.
We had a coffee break at Clough Head Café where it seemed the local hunt had gathered. The car park was full of large horseboxes/trailers. The riders looking splendid in their attire, we didn't ask what they were going to hunt, but one of the ladies was interested in where we were walking & enquired about our group. An East Lancs business card was handed over.
We then passed between Calf Hey & Ogden reservoirs & made our way to Helmshore where lunch was taken in the park.
From there we headed North passing a large quarry. As we climbed up we had fine views including the Halo which we had visited on Barbara's recent walk arriving back at the cars just about beating the rain.
Thanks to Gerald, ably assisted by Kipper & Fudge for an excellent walk. 

Dave Walsh

Thanks to Dave for the pictures below



Sunday December 3rd. A Different Dove Stone Dawdle. 20 miles. Leader: Steve Clark.


The weather forecast is for fine dry weather but rains a little to start with before brightening up.  10 of us are on the walk starting from the Dove Stone reservoir carpark.  Off round the west side of the reservoir.  Find our way climbing up to Pots and Pans.  Some drizzle here.  Drop off rough moorland from Pots and Pans to follow the Tameside Trail to the Visitors centre at Brownhills.  On the Huddersfield Narrow canal now to Diggle, stopping for coffee break on the way.  Leaving Diggle we climb towards Castleshaw reservoirs.  Walk up hill and to a ridge and then drop down to re-join the Tameside Trail, now heading south.  Take lunch in the valley and then walk through the village of Delph.

Passing close to Brownhills, Sue leaves us by arrangement for a cuppa at the visitors centre and back to her car, waiting there.  We’d arrived here just before my self-imposed cut off time of 14:00.  Any later and a shortcut would have been followed.  So we were in time for us to achieve the climb up to the mast at Wharmton and be back at Dove Stones before dark.  So along the canal for a short while and then up to Wharmton before dropping down on the Oldham Way to the valley once more.  Up the other side and walk back to Dove Stones.  We finished with daylight to spare.  GPS readings were compared and found to be 19.7 – 19.9 miles with 1,007 metres (3,300’).  Thanks to those you came out.