Julie's Jabber - This week with London LDWA

Julie's Jabber - This week with London LDWA
Julie's Jabber - This week with London LDWA


life in britain today



Upcoming London LDWA walks

We have three London LDWA walks running in the next 10 days!


Please register with walk leaders in advance as we are limited on participant numbers due to the Covid restrictions. Details of the walks are below, with further information on our London LDWA Walks Programme website.


Date: Thursday 17th June

Time: 18:30

Start: Stanmore

Distance: 8 miles

Details: https://ldwa.org.uk/London/E/24949/london-evening-walk-stanmore-to-hatch-end.html 

Walk Leader: Godfrey O’Callaghan

Please register in advance by text:  07712341677


Date: Saturday 19th June

Distance: 20 miles

Start: Holmwood

Details: London LDWA - Fantasia on a Theme of Holmwood

Walk Leader: Gavin Fuller

Register by text: 07875 384778


Date: Tuesday 22nd June

Distance: 13 miles

Start: Sheringham Station

Details: London LDWA - Unfinished business Part 2

Walk Leader: Ron Williamson

Register by email: ronwilliamsonuk@gmail.com



We are constantly updating the programme so please check the website for details of new walks. If you fancy leading a walk for the London LDWA please let Marie our walks secretary know, we have plenty of available dates in July.







Don Newman's Weald Hundred 2021 – with support from London Group and Worthing A&E

Parts of my 100 route were going to be boring. I asked 5 London Group members, and 2 other friends, if they would walk some miles with me, and keep me sane. They all responded to the call. Thank you so much!

As I struggle with hills these days, I designed a flat route, with only about 4,000 ft of climbing. From Worthing, along the coast to Shoreham, up the River Adur to Steyning, west through Washington & Storrington to Amberley. North from there to Pulborough, and on up the Wey South Path (old canal towpath) to Shalford, then on the Founders Challenge route to Blackheath and on to our home in Peaslake. From Peaslake, south up to Pitch Hill, down to Cranleigh, and then flat along the Downs Link (dismantled railway line) all the way to Shoreham, then 5 coastal miles back to Worthing.

I had just 3 fixed checkpoints, our home and 2 pubs (1 before each night section). I’d also noted numerous cafes & shops which I could use if necessary.

My first supporter was Dave Williams. He is unable to walk far at the moment, but travelled to Worthing on Friday evening to ensure that I had a healthy Wetherspoons meal before my walk. He was also on hand at 8am on Saturday morning, to take my photo and wish me luck, thus delaying his Wetherspoons breakfast. Well beyond the call of duty!

I walked the first 32 pleasant, sunny miles, by myself. At Steyning I bought cake and a chocolate milk shake. Unfortunately I spilled half of the latter on my trousers, which made me look like I needed a nappy change.


don hundred one checkpoint



Before dark Paul Lawrence met me at the Limeburners pub. He had been stranded on a train, and chased across a field by aggressive cows on the way to the pub, but he persisted, and arrived in good time. He walked through the night along the towpath with me, and other friends took over at daylight. At home I enjoyed 2 hours of porridge and pampering from Jane. Surprisingly, I wasn’t at all tired.

At Cranleigh I was met by Steve Garnsey and his lively family, Landy with little Ricky and Becky, and by Carol Buss. We all walked together for a short distance, Steve walked a bit further, and Carol walked 8 miles, all the way to Slinfold and beyond. Carol had found a farm café terrace where we stopped for tea and toilets; blissful.



don bax castle checkpoint



Paul Lawrence rejoined me at the Bax Castle pub, where we enjoyed pizza and shandy. Then we strode on through Southwater, and into our 2nd night section. We nearly reached Partridge Green, with just 14 flat miles to go. We were cruising towards an easy, early finish and my 34th annual 100 completion. What could possibly go wrong?



don last waymark end



Disaster arrived out of the dark, in the shape of a hurtling cyclist, who crashed into me from behind. The impact knocked me down, and my head hit the hard surface. I stood up straight away, and felt my forehead, where there was a lot of blood. The cyclist meanwhile, was on the ground, with his bike on top of him. Paul asked if he was ok, but he just mumbled incoherently. He was not wearing a helmet. The cyclist soon recovered enough to stand up. We had a short exchange of views. He asked what we were doing, and why we didn’t wear red rear lights at night. We said that we had bright torches and ample reflectors on our rucksacks, and that if he hadn’t been pedalling so fast he would have been able to avoid us. On further analysis next day, when we went back to look for my lost hearing aid (we didn’t find it) we think that his view ahead was probably obscured by a rise and bridge which we had just crossed, but his excessive speed was still a big factor

The cyclist departed. I was surprisingly unhurt, and my first thought was to just wash the blood away and carry on walking. Paul took a photo of my forehead, and showed me the mass of congealed blood. Suddenly A&E seemed like a better idea, to get me checked for concussion, and to have the wound cleaned professionally. We walked on into Partridge Green (86 miles) from where a taxi eventually took us to Worthing. After prompt triage, I waited over 3 hours in A&E, but when the doctor and nurses did attend to me they were wonderful. A scan confirmed that my head was still attached, the wound was cleaned and dressed by a couple of jovial nursing comedians from the Philippines, and I emerged into the daylight looking like the proverbial Egyptian mummy.

It was a huge disappointment, not being able to finish the event, but I really had no choice following the accident. As soon as my still aching right knee has recovered, I intend to return and complete the route. It will then be up to the organisers whether I can count this as my 34th completion. I am hoping for an understanding outcome.


Thank you, Don, for the lovely report . Go on, organisers, make it happen!




London LDWA - http://www.ldwa.org.uk/London