Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Website Development - New website

Author: Alan Greenwood
Posted: Wed 14th Apr 2010, 20:32
Local Group: Calderdale
Thanks John. That is my problem temporarily solved. I assume that eventually the website will be compatible with other browsers. Surprised that everyone else is on IE8 but me.
Author: John Sparshatt
Posted: Wed 14th Apr 2010, 17:13
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi Alan, try upgrading your web browser to IE8, we have noticed a problem with IE7. The idea of the upgrade was twofold. One to give a new appearance and the other to make navigation easier. Putting the site live was a judgement call. We knew there would be problems but to delay would mean it would be some time before everything was ready. Who better to test than our members who use the site and can then highlight the issues which affect them? We are noting all the areas which concern our members and they will all be addressed in the coming weeks. Some of the photographs are not entirely suitable so we need good quality pictures to replace them and others to illustrate the long distance paths pages. We will look at your point about the forum navigation and the enlargement of the groups map so that everyone can find Calderdale.
Author: Alan Greenwood
Posted: Wed 14th Apr 2010, 14:42
Local Group: Calderdale
I regret that the euphoria about the redesigned LDWA website has passed me by. Usually I only look at two areas the forum and our groups website. Both these areas have changed but for me it is not a better experience.

I know we are only a small group but trying to identify Calderdale Group on the map of GB is like looking for a needle in a haystack. It is possible to find it if you keep searching but I do not wish to spoil the fun by telling you where it is. I suppose it would not be so bad if the map was a bit bigger and it also fitted in its box rather than covering part of the list of groups to the right. You may suggest that you do not need to use the map and might try clicking on the link in the list of group names. Tried that but nothing happened.

It is the forum which is the biggest damper for me. I find that moving between topics is tiresome because each time a change is made everything disappears off the screen to the bottom of the page. In other words the topics do not line up with the green forum search box on the right.

I realise that it could be my browser. I use Avant and I E. Also that the changes have not been thoroughly tested yet and that at some point there will be amendments although I personally would not have put out something as important as the changes to the website in a partially finished state.
Author: Mike Buckley
Posted: Mon 12th Apr 2010, 22:38
Local Group: Heart of England
Suggestions - when an events list is selected we used to be able to click on a walk to view details, then 'next' to view the next walk which was displayed immediately - no longer possible. Choose 'group' walks and the list tells you it's a group walk, why not name the group in a column headed Group? Or could use 'Grp-HoE' using the codes for groups which have been used in STRIDER previously. For challenge walks could use 'Chall-HoE'
Why not allow 'area' as a criterion for event choice - more useful than minimum distance?
Map of walks on same page as list, hover over walk and see icon appear on a map? It's been done before. Déjà vu? -Ask nic, she knows her onions/eggs.
Author: Nic Arb
Posted: Sat 3rd Apr 2010, 16:36
Local Group: Kent
Reply to Gordon Stone (Wed 31st Mar 2010, 14:42):
Thank you for backing me up

Reply to John Sparshatt (Sun 28th Mar 2010, 10:58):
Thank you for telling me how to suck eggs

And thanks to Simon for teaching me this tasty English expression
Author: Gordon Stone
Posted: Wed 31st Mar 2010, 14:42
Local Group: East Lancashire
Generally, I can see that a lot of work has gone into the redesign but I have to agree with Nic's post.
The most frequent use I make of the site is to select the region (North in my case) to provide a list of upcoming walks for the coming months and then move them into iCal so I am missing this feature immensely.
The manual alternative of checking through every group in Strider is much more time-consuming.
Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Tue 30th Mar 2010, 13:22
Local Group: South Manchester
I got a pleasant surprise when I logged on recently for the first time in a long time. What an improvement. It's far quicker than the previous lumbering creation - much more responsive. Well done to the creators for your hard work.
Posted: Sun 28th Mar 2010, 18:14
Hi Guy
We are working on the hover text. It may take time, we wanted the new site to be up and running and then iron out things which we can improve. Its good to get feedback and if you or anyone else has ideas how we can enhance the site please let us know. One thing we do need is photographs to illustrate the ldp pages. Good quality shots of the route will be most welcome.
Author: Guy Evans
Posted: Sun 28th Mar 2010, 13:10
Local Group: Thames Valley
The new website looks very professional. Well done.

But one thing I'm missing is the ability to hover over a walk on the list view to see where it is in on the map view. I used this functionality quite a lot to quickly plan future weekends.

With the new website, I need to do a search for each weekend on the map view: I can get to the same information but it takes noticeably longer.

Cheers
Guy
Posted: Sun 28th Mar 2010, 10:58
To answer Nic - this is not a serious problem. To limit the search choose the date(s) you would like to go walking and then display by map or list. This will then give you options. The advantage is a limited list of both social walks, events and other walking festivals or a map of where they start. The previous area search put those people on the borders of those areas at a disadvantage. Future enhancements will include other options which are under active consideration. (Possibility of choosing a specific Grid Ref or Post Code and then all walks within a certain distance) . All these options rely on the walks secretaries making sure they put in a correct grid reference with the identifying area letters - so the start of the walk can be displayed in the right position. On initial inspection of the new display some walks started in the Irish Sea and many had no start point at all. Some of these errors have now been corrected.
Posted: Wed 24th Mar 2010, 15:33
Same problem on the Group Walks page
Posted: Wed 24th Mar 2010, 15:30
Serious downgrading on the Challenge page: previously we were able to choose the region in order to display only the events nearby but this is not possible anymore. As there are numerous groups in the South-East, if you want to check all the South-East events, you have to display numerous groups, one at a time. Using the map is long as well, as you have to click on each event to display its date.
Posted: Tue 23rd Mar 2010, 18:16
Brilliant!!! Love the colours and layout,
Well done to all those involved in the transformation
Author: Julie Welch
Posted: Tue 23rd Mar 2010, 12:13
Local Group: London
This is great. I really like the palette. Well done.
Author: John King
Posted: Tue 23rd Mar 2010, 8:16
Just logged on for the first time in ages and what a pleasant suprise i got on seeing the new website, first impression was how nice and Bright, Fresh, and inviting it looks.

A BIG WELL DONE TO ALL INVOLVED

Now to explore its user friendliness
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Mon 22nd Mar 2010, 22:31
Congrats to the team - looks really good.
Posted: Mon 22nd Mar 2010, 22:27
Yes it looks and feels very good and all concerned have done an excellent job but with out more postings it will be the same old site. So now it is up to the members to get posting and make all the hard work getting up to this standard worthwhile. So come on all you lurkers, come out of your corners, get the key board out and say what you think.
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Mon 22nd Mar 2010, 20:35
Local Group: Merseystride
Congratulations everyone! This looks, and feels, superb. I use a wide-screen mac and the extra width of the new site is really appreciated.
I haven't explored all the new features yet, but the event map is excellent - a real help in filling that free weekend!
Well done! (Garfield)
Posted: Mon 22nd Mar 2010, 13:53
New Site now Live. Congratulations to Mark Hawker, James Kirkby, Reg Chapman and Simon Leck who have been working hard to make this major upgrade happen. Many additional features have been incorporated into several areas including display mapping and group accommodation links into the events and long distance paths. Social Walks, Events and Other Walking Events are now in one list (easly separated out) being displayed either as a map or a list. Hillwalkers’ and The National Trails Registers have also had a makeover with sort features added to the display. There is much more just read the News Item. If you have any comments or notice bugs or errors please let us know so they can be fixed. If you have suitable photographs to illustrate any of the pages just send them in and we will be please to include them.
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Mon 15th Mar 2010, 20:30
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
I have had an early preview of the new website! I stayed until the end of the AGM on Sunday and went on until the afternoon. Despite the lure of double temperature outside and sun! And WOW is all I can say!

Now I must get that all singing dancing device that doubles(or is that triples?) as mobile phone/camera and GPS!

Ultralight of course so I can do the terrific Pacific Trail..

Just wish I was retiring/retired!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law