Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - A Walk to 'Ell and Back, 7th March 2010

Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Fri 2nd Apr 2010, 20:46
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Been doing this walk a no of years, the food content has certainly dropped off, there used to be about 3 food stations.
Anything left got moved down the line and to finish.
Wonder if it's to keep entry fee low or lack of bodies to staff checkpoints. A tough walk that needs the calories & needs to change back to the old old routine, personally i don't like the new HQ as good as the old sports hall.
They can't change it if they don't know about it.
Think we should mention it pleasantly of course !!
Hey-Ho you never know, too good a walk to loose.
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Wed 31st Mar 2010, 20:05
Local Group: High Peak
garfield were a bit more harder this side of the pennines
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Mon 8th Mar 2010, 9:33
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Garfield, I would echo all your comments. I did this event last year and knew about the food, although I thought that some of the later checkpoints had something. My memory was that the difficulty was where it was (I could have done with more early on last year). So I too stocked up this year.

The weather was stunning yesterday. All day! Sun sun sun! Feeling a bit weather beaten this morning! Change from last year's hail-induced weather beating! The long route is definitely worth doing though - the best part is after Baitings reservoir. Not many places where it is so quiet. Fantastic day out. Thanks to all.
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sun 7th Mar 2010, 21:37
Local Group: Merseystride
This is a toughie. 30 miles and almost 5000 ft of very steep climbs. The South Pennines is one my favourite areas for running and walking, and this route is well planned to take advantage of every aspect of the area.
The sun shone all day and the views were breathtaking.
My only grouse with this event is the lack of checkpoint food - only one checkpoint over the whole route had anything other than water, and that was a single sandwich. Thankfully I had stuffed enough oatmeal bars in my small pack to keep me going. A couple of pounds on the entrance fee would have put basic biscuits and cakes at most of the checkpoints. There was nothing in the way of tea, toast etc at the start either, but tasty pie & peas at the end.
But, I really did enjoy the event, and I must thank everyone at the Elland Round Table for putting it on. (Garfield)
Some photos ... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=207487&id=726015791&l=334697cc89

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law