Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - gps

Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Thu 11th Feb 2010, 17:06
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Not familiar with this Elton, but I find the best approach is GPS with a downloaded route and a OS Exp map for an overview of the area
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Mon 8th Feb 2010, 18:39
Local Group: Surrey
Posted: Sat 6th Feb 2010, 21:46
Author: Nic Arb
Posted: Thu 4th Feb 2010, 11:23
Local Group: Kent
Posted: Wed 3rd Feb 2010, 20:01
Posted: Tue 2nd Feb 2010, 12:34
Posted: Mon 1st Feb 2010, 19:51
Hey nic, don't agree on the sharpness of the screen, nor on the Discoverer mapping. Battery life on the Satmap is superb with the rechargeable power pack, at least 16hrs even with constant reference to route, position etc. Maybe your friend used consumables?

I have no axe to grind, just going by 18 months use of Satmap. Maybe both will be overtaken by an ipad with really big display of OS mapping; the Garmin still has a ludicrously small screen which makes the following of a route uncomfortable and irritating; I don't think they design for long distance walkers, plannig a route, maybe just for someone who wants the occasional confirmation of position.

What we really need is a fold out flexible sheet for mapping, logged on to satellites

John
Posted: Mon 11th Jan 2010, 13:00
Posted: Sun 10th Jan 2010, 12:48
nic, I will concede generally faster lock-on to satellites with the Oregon but small screen size is a major nuisance as I don't want to have to fish out my specs continually. Mapping software is more comprehensive with Satmap. I've since seen the Memorymap gizmo and although it's a cheaper package, doesn't seem to match the other two players.
Posted: Wed 6th Jan 2010, 11:26
Garmin Oregon 550 with Garmin GB Discoverer is the Rolls Royce of the GPS, IMHO.
Posted: Tue 1st Dec 2009, 7:55
Satmap 10 without a doubt (but not tried the new Memory Map yet) See my post under "Satmap 10" on the forum and read Simon Leck's review in December's Strider. All have their + and - points but I much prefer the Satmap to a new Garmin Oregon I purchased recently.
Posted: Sat 28th Nov 2009, 21:10
hi at the min i am just using a map and compasse but thing of investing in a gps are they worth there money and which are the best to go for?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law