Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Henry Bridge

Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Thu 12th Nov 2009, 19:48
Local Group: Merseystride
Welcome to The Bothy, Rosemary. I hope you can be tempted to visit more often. (Garfield - forums moderator)
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Thu 12th Nov 2009, 19:15
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Tony, even if you have had 2 artificial hips I will still be miles behind you! Sometimes the enjoyment is about being with friends and finishing the walk!
Author: Rosemary Dooley
Posted: Wed 11th Nov 2009, 20:45
Local Group: Cumbria
I have very vivid memories of Henry Bridge, a modest member of the Anglian group when I first joined the LDWA in the mid 80s. I always remember him telling me about the importance of 'pacing oneself'. Remember too the occasion on the Three Forests' Way, when I met him coming the other way in the middle of the night. We laughed, and somehow still met again at the next checkpoint. He was a wonderful person, and one of my 'mentors' of long distance walking. Of course the 24-page(?) booklet of the Three Forests' Way is worlds away from the half-page grid reference routes of northern events - I have been a Cumbrian 'offcomer' since 1989. This is the first time I have contributed to the Forum, though I read it from time to time, but Henry was a unique person.
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Wed 11th Nov 2009, 17:53
Local Group: Merseystride
There's hope for us all yet..... ;-)
[Helen]
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Wed 11th Nov 2009, 16:57
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Henry's 10th the INVICTA, was my 1st & i walked the latter miles in his company, within the last 2mls, we split & went down separate roads, "I beat him by about 10mins".
This made for friendly banter at the finish and a lasting memory about the man himself, his character and attitude,
a treasured memory upon realizeing who he was.
I would love to do a 100 at 83, now 69, done 14, but haveing new hip this weekend, any chance you think ??
May have to skip Scotland !! mmmmmmmmmmm.
Author: Tony Deall
Posted: Mon 9th Nov 2009, 22:32
Local Group: Cumbria
Well Eileen, if you want something badly enough you've more than a fighting chance of succeeding! The power of the mind is an amazing thing.
I hope I'm a step behind you when you become the oldest lady 100 completer. That would certainly prove that age doesn't count - whether or not enjoyment is a factor!
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Sat 7th Nov 2009, 21:07
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
What an inspiration! From just a few lines on the News section of the webpage- I was amazed at what I read. 68 when Henry joined the LDWA and over 80 when he completed 10 100s! I have read books on topclass fellrunners gaining this that and the other achievements they did. All amazing. I did not know the old fella, but this is something I can relate to. I know how difficult it is to 1 x 100 miler! To do 10 from the age of mid 60s is wow- ! To do one at over 80 I cannot comprehend. Thank you Henry whom I din't know.

But you give me something to aim for. At the age of 50 something (oh sod it, I have given a secret away- I am not 40 something!) I too may hope for being the oldest to get a 100 miler. If I am senile please someone lead me on a leash! Just give me whisky and sugar and ibuprofen at the check points.

But it shows age does not count if you enjoy it- IT being whatever you wish!!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law