Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Cumbrian Way or Cumberland Way?

Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Tue 10th Mar 2009, 8:09
Local Group: East Lancashire
Hi Sue, Nicky is spot on. I have done both routes and enjoyed them both. I can concur that the leg from Caldbeck to Carlisle is very much an anti climax.
The Cumberland Way is part of a triangle of routes so you may want to come back twice more to complete the Furness Way and Westmorland Way. Have fun.
Author: Nicky Wood
Posted: Mon 9th Mar 2009, 21:36
Local Group: Lakeland
Hi Sue, Cumberland is 80 miles from Ravenglass to Appleby. It cuts inland to Buttermere, Keswick, Dockray, Eamont Bridge and Appleby so should be a beautiful area. I've not done the route yet but it is a lovely area. It links with Furness Way and Westmorland Way to make a complete cirucle of the Lakes. Book by Paul Hanon hard to get and I have just offered to lend mine to someone else.

Cumbria Way is 70 Miles from Ulverston up to Carlisle. Calling at, Coniston, Langdale, Borrowdale, Keswick and Caldbeck. After Caldbeck it is slightly less interesting but up to there brilliant. I used book by John Trevelyan.

Either would be lovely walks. I have the books for both.
You are the second person asking about Cumberland Way today! Andy Ward from West Yorkshire also looking at this route.
Posted: Mon 9th Mar 2009, 7:30
I am planning a weeks walk for myself and a friend and we are undecided on which of the two walks to do. Has anyone walked either or both of these paths and which would you recommend?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law