Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - North Yorkshire Moors Crosses Hike.

Posted: Mon 23rd Jun 2008, 14:48
Ah, thank you for that. Please pass on my regards to those of the Cleveland group who remember me, Hutch especially. He still owes me a pint!
Author: Albert Bowes
Posted: Mon 23rd Jun 2008, 14:13
Local Group: North Yorkshire
Cleveland Group are walking the crosses route over two days, staying overnight in Stape village hall early July. Vince Thwaites is leading us, approx 30 mile first day and 24 the next, support being given by Dave and John and Yvonne cooking us a meal in the kitchen on the Saturday night. Its a "social" walk by 12 Cleveland members,organised and arranged by Vince, some of our group,like yourself remember the event with affection.
Posted: Mon 23rd Jun 2008, 9:45
Ah, the dear departed Crosses, possibly the friendliest event there has ever been, or likely to be. Pencilled in many diaries from one year to the next. Who can forget Guy Collinson whipping everyone out of bed for a 4AM breakfast in the fishermen's cafe on Whitby quayside? Happy days.

Anyway, it's 25 years since we were in our glory days, so Les stephenson & I decided to make a return trip to Goathland. As a sop to our advancing years we tootled round on mountain bikes, and not surprisingly took more than 25% longer than we used to be able to do it on foot.

Whilst we were pootling around the Village Hall the caretaker told us that he'd been asked if the hall was available for use when a walk over a 55 mile route was being put on. Seems like this is to be semi or even un official. As the Hall was booked he couldn't help, so has no details of it.

Does anyone on here know what is planned? Is it another bash at the full Crosses route? Is it "official", or just a bunch of enthusiasts doing what we did, and re-awakening past memories?

For those who,are interested Green Swang to Postgate is still a tiresome mess!!!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law