Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Rhayader Mountain Trail

Author: Steve Platt
Posted: Wed 12th Sep 2007, 23:47
Local Group: London
I pulled out of this year's event because of injury (a wise, if reluctant, decision judging by the comments above). Is there a date fixed for next year's yet?
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Tue 21st Aug 2007, 17:07
Local Group: Marches
Great to see so many runners making their way to Mid Wales for this superb event - hope to see more walkers next year - they should not be put off by tales of mega difficulty and ultra runs. This has something for everybody. The 18 mile route is a real gem - avoiding tussocks bad ground and navigational problems. The 29 mile route is a good tough challenge but well worth every mile - and as for the 43 mile route - please Mid Wales - I know you are a small grouop and struggle to find helpers but if this was held as a 24 hour walking challemge as well as an ultra run it would become an instant classic. Many thanks to Mark and his team - especially for finding me a place to sleep on the hall floor after I arrived in Rhayader, booked in the camp site and opened te car boot to find I had left the tent at home!
Author: Richard Weremiuk
Posted: Tue 21st Aug 2007, 15:19
Local Group: Marches
Great organisation and a big thank you for everyone involved in catering at both the start/finish and along the route. I'm sure they all got almost as wet as I did, standing out there all day for our benefit. The checkpoint people definately kept me going! No one could do much about the weather I guess. Never having been on an event down that part of Wales I had no appreciation of how tough the terrain was going to be underfoot; the long tussocky grass/bogs and marshes. I was not able to run as often as I wanted to, and this did get to me during those bleak moor crossings. The sheep up there know a few new curse words now at least. I was so pleased I did the 29 miler, as I would have been hard pushed to make the 12 hour cutoff on the 43 mile course. I agree that many, includine me, will have underestimated the terrain and navigation. I used GPS to assist and still struggled in places! It was the hardest LDWA event I have been on during my 2 year membership so far. I'll be better prepared next time, and have a go at the longer route (maybe)!
Thanks again.
Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Tue 21st Aug 2007, 12:54
Local Group: South Manchester
Thank you Matt and team for your organisation. I was glad everyone got back safe and sound (eventually).
I have no regrets about retiring at 22 miles. As I slipped and stumbled my way across the windswept and rainswept moors towards CP3, I knew it would be reckless of me, recovering from injury and consequently unfit, to continue up onto the next exposed section. The arrival of the sweepers shortly afterwards saved my bacon. Thanks to Wyn George for starting the engine on his vehicle to get some heat into me as they packed up the checkpoint, before the long drive back to Rhayader.
The catering at the base was superb - plentiful and very healthy.
I've already updated my Tracklogs map ready for next year, when I hope to be a little fitter and more capable of taking on this extreme challenge. I do think an 8am start time would be advisable for the runners, though.
Nick.
Author: John King
Posted: Mon 20th Aug 2007, 20:21
I was surprised by the ability of my `water proof` map case to produce condensation and threaten to destroy my map from within.

Other than that no real surprises just as i have already said a great day out amongst a great bunch of folk that were only to ready to help one another and keep each others spirits up.

In fact unusually for me i can find nothing to criticise yet (but give me time) sad as it may seem i even enjoyed the weather far more than i would have done if it had been hot and sunny.

Happy days
John
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Mon 20th Aug 2007, 17:34
Local Group: Heart of England
The 43 miles was definitely not easy peasy! I think most people had underestimated the difficulty of both the terrain and the navigation. I was surprised at the number of people with neither route description nor map and many that did were holding a soggy mess and relying on others to guide them.

The route reminded us of a mountain marathon (or ultra in this case), where the ability to navigate to remote orienteering controls in poor conditions is essential. I enjoy the challenge of navigation and, although we had a few interesting excursions, we always ended up at the controls spot-on! I imagine that those people who had recceed the route will have had a significant advantage.

In any case, we would like to thank all the organisers, checkpoint staff and helpers for their welcoming good humour and cheerfulness, despite the hours of standing in the rain. All the food was excellent and, although we were out for longer than anticipated, we really enjoyed the event. I think it was the hardest LDWA event that we have done (apart from the 100s, which are always hard).
Posted: Sun 19th Aug 2007, 16:07
Thank you Matt, Jane, Mark and all at the mid Wales LDWA for making my first encounter with the Cambrian Hills a most memorable experience.

The cheerful folk at the excellently provisioned checkpoints were a a virtual ray of sunshine, on what can only be described as a marginally damp day (i base that on the so called fords being Knee deep, or was that just the puddles on the footpaths).

If you decide the 43 mile route is on again next year i will definitely be over to Recce it before hand, and if any of you with the local Knowledge fancy a good day out with me pointing out the elusive paths i would be glad of the company.

43 miles eluded me this year but i can honestly say i thoroughly enjoyed the 32 miles i did cover, and all the friendly folk i met.

Thanks again Mid Wales LDWA in my opinion that was a job well done.

All the best
John
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sun 19th Aug 2007, 13:23
Local Group: Mid Wales
I was wrong ....... the 43 miles obviously wasn't 'easy peasy'. :)
Matt.
Posted: Fri 17th Aug 2007, 15:30
Thanks very very much for clearing the paths, Matt.
Posted: Fri 17th Aug 2007, 15:29
You didn't tell us this at Elsecar Skelter, Nick!!

I have been studying the route very carefully on the map and, with the weather forecast as well, it looks like it's going to be a long day.
Posted: Fri 17th Aug 2007, 15:28
The paths are done and cleared - I can show you the scars to prove it. Matt.
Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Fri 17th Aug 2007, 13:10
Local Group: South Manchester
I think a reconnoitre is essential for this one. I walked the route over two, long days, three weekends ago (in beautiful weather, I might add). The rampant vegetation made progress and path finding very difficult at times, assuming there was a path there in the first place; there often isn't. I can't imagine being able to do it all in one day.
We would have needed a machete to hack our way down one path at least. We had to give up at a total blockage after having been torn to shreds by the most vicious brambles ever seen. Let's hope the organisers were able to clear it.
(Incidentally, Tracklogs and GPS tell us the acsent is well over 8000' - can't remember the 'exact' numbers.)
Nick.
Posted: Thu 16th Aug 2007, 21:22
Just plotted the route on the map now thinking a recce may have been a good idea.

As well as a selection of running shoes i am bringing wellies as well, may just leave Fins and snorkel at home though.

See you at the weekend

John
Posted: Tue 14th Aug 2007, 22:07
A day of 'deep thought' and I reckon I would go (runner) for trail shoes with a good grip on the soles. The route is long enough and has enough hard track sections (especially in last section) to make Walshes or similar a bit too hard on the more mature runners joints! But no to road shoes. Matt.
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Tue 14th Aug 2007, 21:00
Local Group: Merseystride
Couldn't agree more, Matt. The moors should be nice and soggy, Ian.
Posted: Tue 14th Aug 2007, 20:53
Thanks Matt i will bring a multiple choice of shoe`s and no doubt choose the wrong ones.

John
Posted: Mon 13th Aug 2007, 21:58
Just get out there and do it, after all, we are there to enjoy the countryside, walk/run and have a day out. I sometimes think too much knowledge can be a bad thing - leads to worrying about the challenge ahead. If it isn't going to plan, or you're falling behind schedule that's no problem as you can simply shorten the route in the later stages. The pleasure of the day out is important, we all win some and lose some but you can't win if you don't try.
Regards footwear, tricky one. I did the extra loop after Claerwen last weekend and wore Walshes, definately the correct choice for running there, as all soft ground. Been a wet summer and the peat is soggy, and may be soggier still by saturday! I would chose Walshes or Inov8s (or similar) with good treads, but you could do with a bit of cushioning in the latter stages. Matt.
Posted: Mon 13th Aug 2007, 21:35
Well, I guess you're right Matt. Mark rang me earlier to discuss the ascent and in the end I gave my assent (ho ho). See you Saturday. Garfield
Posted: Mon 13th Aug 2007, 21:21
Did i say memory map instead of tracklogs must be cracking up.

however i have yet to find digital maps that can accurately calculate altitude a n i much prefer Memory Map over Tracklogs.

John
Posted: Mon 13th Aug 2007, 21:04
That`s just the way i intend doing it Matt and as long as i make no navagatinal errors i expect to finnish within time.

As to memory map i swear by it but i have always found its ability in calculating altitude to be lacking and i hope that holds true this weekend.

Any way to compare this with the fells man is not really fair another 3000ft of climb spread over an additional 20 miles amounts to very little, plus there is no night section with the need to navigate over terrain like Fleet Moss in the dark (i hope)

Talking of terrain do i need fell, trail or road shoes for this.

see you Saturday

John
Posted: Mon 13th Aug 2007, 18:00
Luckily we still have the traditional route of 29 miles (along with 18 & 12 mile alternatives), so all abilities are catered for. I won't argue with your electronic gadgetry (much) suffice to say I don't reckon it is 8000+ ascent, it doesn't feel like it to me - still recovering from an 8500 footer on Saturday!
Yes the 43 miles was mainly for the Montrail runners, but immediately some of our 'toughie' ldwa members wanted to enter and have a crack at it, we cannot man checkpoints etc. any longer than about 12 hours, hence the time limit. So 31/2 miles an hour, with no hanging about and they should have it cracked - walk ups and flats and jog some downhills, easy peasy!! Matt.
Posted: Mon 13th Aug 2007, 9:07
It looks like a too-toughie to me. I've just meticulously entered the route into Tracklogs and although the mileage is right, the ascent is 8742 ft ! Even given the maximum 13 hours to complete this seems out of proportion to, say, the Fellsman where you have 29 hours to do 11000 ft & 61 miles, or the Bullock Smithy (56 miles, 8000ft in 24 hours). I know this route is mainly for the Montrail people (which I heartily endorse), but mere mortals also can grace that hallowed league-table. Garfield
Posted: Fri 10th Aug 2007, 9:46
Mark Keeling the organisers computer has just crashed, so he cannot receive or send e-mails. You can contact him by phone on 01547 529086 or 07973634469.
If you want an entry form quickly e-mail me and I will send it to you: tylwchand@tiscali.co.uk

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law