Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Local Groups - Walking with dog(s) - insurance

Author: Paul Stroud
Posted: Tue 5th Mar 2024, 13:47
Local Group: Bristol & West
Appreciate this forum doesn't seem to be overly used recently and suspect most activity has moved to Facebook, but I'm holding to my self-imposed ban on social media for as long as possible.
I'm wondering if anyone else had encountered issues with their pet insurance providing the 3rd party liability cover required to participate in LDWA social walks or challenge events with our best friends?
Most pet insurance policies do provide 3rd party liability cover, but I had to contact my insurer ("Purely Pets") about an ambiguous clause in the policy wording specifically excluding participation in "organised sporting events" from the cover. Knowing that the LDWA styles itself as the governing body of the "sport" of long distance walking, I thought I'd better check I was covered, although I wouldn't consider the social walks I've participated in so far to be sporting.
My insurer responded that Scooby and I would not be covered to participate in any LDWA event.
Happily, following a challenge to this ruling, I got their decision overruled (strategy: be a persistent pain in the a*se until they give in to what you want just so you'll go away!).
This has made me wonder however how many other pet insurers might quibble should a 3rd party claim ever arise from a dog's involvement in an LDWA walk. Scooby's insurance is up for renewal next month and I'll be seeking specific clarification from potential new insurers before accepting any quote.
Would be interested to hear anyone else's experience in this area - and whether anyone has ever heard of a claim having to be made!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law