Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Ridgeway in winter

Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Mon 27th Nov 2023, 11:48
Local Group: East Lancashire
Hi Brian
The Ridgeway can be very muddy as it's a ByWay in places (actually a very old road), but it's not as steep as other notoriously slippery National Trails such as the Cleveland Way's coastal section or some parts of the South West Coast Path. So wet and cold feet in Winter, but possibly frozen over (the mud, not the feet).
Iain
Author: John Pucknell
Posted: Fri 24th Nov 2023, 15:39
Local Group: Dorset
Hi Brian,
I walked the Ridgeway in winter, see Strider No 154, December 2022, p37 and/or https://johnponridgeway.blogspot.com/ . Mud is difficult to avoid altogether but it was manageable with gaiters and I would not let it put you off as large parts of the Ridgeway will be dry. You can also get some lovely frosty sunny days in January with great views. Plan your accommodation though as places can be closed in winter.
John
Author: Brian Oliver
Posted: Mon 20th Nov 2023, 19:21
Local Group: Sussex
I am planning to walk one of our National Trauils in January (because it's one of the few months when I have the time), and the Ridgeway is the most likely option (or possibly Peddar's Way/Norfolk) because it's not too far from home and mostly on highish ground. North Downs Way and South Downs Way already done. Has anybody walked either of these paths ion the winter? Can anyone offer any tips about the conditions, which parts might be muddiest and so on? I'm not going to start planning the day-by-day sections, and travel/accommodation, until I get an idea if it's doable in the winter. Thanks in advance for any help.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law