Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - End Point Walk - Raising awareness of CPR and funds for British Heart Foundation (BHF)

Author: Alan Warrington
Posted: Mon 5th Jun 2023, 10:26
Local Group: Thames Valley
In the early hours on 15th July 2019 I suffered an out of hospital cardiac arrest. The initial CPR undertaken by Joanne Johnstone combined with the very prompt arrival and attention by four paramedics were key links in my chain of survival. I received prompt and life saving treatment and essential care from the team in University Hospital Cardiff. Only 1 in 20 survive an out of hospital cardiac arrest and I have made a remarkable recovery.

Exactly 4 years after that near fatal experience, on 15th July 2023 I will start a 580 mile walk from Lands End to Ness Point with my friend David Morgan and in doing so will raise awareness of CPR and money for the British Heart Foundation (BHF). Every year the BHF invest about £100 million into research of heart and circulatory diseases and in order that this vital research can continue, money always needs to be raised. Many of us know people who have been affected by heart disease and we are determined to do our best to support the BHF in the work that they do in the UK.

Now, David and I know that times are tight in the UK. Inflation is high and people are being squeezed by the cost-of-living crisis, but both ask that you consider donating anything that you can afford to the cause as we walk the 580 miles from the westerly point of England to its easterly point. If you don't think that you can afford to donate, please would you be kind enough to share my story and link to our Just Giving page as others might be inspired to want to support us.

We will be posting regular updates on the Just Giving page as we progress from west to east and we will also make some videos so that you can see how we're getting on.

The link to our JustGiving page is: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/endpointwalk

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law