Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - The Woldsman 2023

Author: James Kenny
Posted: Mon 17th Apr 2023, 19:28
Local Group: South Manchester
Just want to say a massive thank you to all the organisers and people who helped out to make Saturday such a great event.

I had a great time trekking and meeting super nice people along the way.

We were really lucky with the weather and ground conditions compared to the days running up to the event.

The pie and peas really hit the spot at the end of the day �
Author: Aaron Hookway
Posted: Tue 4th Apr 2023, 16:14
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
James

I walked the Marshals walk last Saturday

I am the main chef on the event and hope to give you a pie and pea supper once finished.

I can confirm there is not much in the way of tarmac en route, the Wolds begin proper once you come across the dilapidated church.
The ground last Saturday was a bit wet and muddy in places but we have a warmish forecast for the coming couple of weeks.

I hope this assists
Aaron
Posted: Wed 29th Mar 2023, 12:32
The details I got were just at the end of an email I received after confirming payment by BACS with the secretary.

"The minimum kit required is Map O/S Explorer 294/295/300 & Compass. Waterproofs. First aid kit & Survival Bag. MUG (NO MUG NO DRINK). Extra clothing to keep you warm."

I'll wait until after the 1st April when we get the full details.

Neil, what are the ground conditions of the route? Is there much tarmac?
Author: Neil Bromley
Posted: Mon 27th Mar 2023, 20:34
Local Group: Heart of England
James

I'm entered but don't recall having seen a kit list yet. Nothing obvious on the group website as far as I can see, although route details are promised shortly, so info' may be included there. Have done the event a few times and have usually relied on the excellent RD and a gpx backup. If details say maps are required I can borrow them from the local library but don't expect to actually need to use them!

It's a lovely event, and not really too extreme so sure you'll enjoy it whatever you're wearing or navigating with!

Neil
Posted: Sat 25th Mar 2023, 15:22
Hi all,

First time poster.

I am taking park in the The Woldsman 50 mile event this year. I have completed a couple of other challenge events in the past (Bullock Smithy 2021 and Peak District birthday bash 70k 2022) but this will be my first ever event as a LDWA member. I am very excited and proud to take part!

It's all a bit last moment but my main motivation for the event is to qualify to enter the Hundred this year. Fingers crossed I complete the Woldsman and and get a slot after pre selection.

Anyhow, I have a query regarding the minimum kit list for the Woldsman 2023.

Is it correct we need to carry the full 3 Map O/S Explorer 294/295/300 or can we carry print offs from the OS website focusing on the areas we are covering?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law