Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Boots or Trail Shoes?

Author: Tony Cartwright
Posted: Wed 17th Aug 2022, 9:19
Local Group: Surrey
Hi,

I have worn trail shoes for many years on all sorts of events from social walks through Challenge Events including 100's up to multi-week backpacking trips. My preferred option is Inov8 Roclite 295. They are extremely light and have sticky soles. I also use Hokas which, with their relatively thick soles, seem quite popular with LDWA members.

One disadvantage of trainers is the durability of the mesh uppers - particularly when walking in wet conditions. My evolved solution to this is to weave dyneema thread (approx 0.7mm dia - available on eBay) with a needle through the mesh across the whole of the front of the shoe from one side to the other. This is done when the shoes are new and added to as necessary. It doesn't look pretty but I typically get 2000 miles plus with now the soles wearing out first!

Hope this helps.

Tony
Author: Andrew Bell
Posted: Tue 31st May 2022, 11:15
Local Group: Sherwood
As someone who is new to the LDWA but has done a lot of hill walking in my time I was surprised when taking part in my first event to see the majority of people wearing trail shoes & not walking boots. This also appears to be the case when I look at pictures of other events. Is this in fact the case and if so does anyone have any recommendations about which trail shoes to use, or more importantly avoid! - thanks

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law