Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Anytime Challenges

Author: Andy Clark
Posted: Sun 12th Jul 2020, 15:27
Local Group: Kent
Earlier today there was a post on the LDWA Facebook Group asking about Anytime Challenges. Whilst I'm fairly sure most of you reading this post are familiar with Anytime Challenges, I've posted below a version of my reply, particularly with reference to the section asking for help from the LDWA family.

First of all, what is an Anytime Challenge? Generally these are routes intended to be completed as a continuous walk normally in one day. They are not specifically marked on OS Maps (although in most cases, GPX files are available for LDWA members to download) and in the past, those who complete the routes, qualify for a certificate and/or a badge from the route's ‘Recorder' who logs the completions. These badges and certificates may not be so readily available nowadays as stocks may have been exhausted and not re-ordered but the routes are still there. Many of the Anytime Challenges are or have been promoted by an LDWA member or Local Group.

How do I find these Anytime Challenges? From the LDP section of the website, link below, if you click in the dropdown box for path types, you get a series of options including Anytime Challenges. There are currently over 200 Anytime Challenges varying in distance from 13 miles to over 60 miles. You can refine your search by using the path distance and area options.

How can I help the LDWA with Anytime Challenges? Many of these routes have been on the database for a long time. In reality, they probably won't be walked by too many people. Anyone familiar with regular ‘normal' LDWA Challenges knows that routes are not always the same. Circumstances change; footpaths are diverted, stiles are replaced by kissing gates, etc. There is every possibility that the information we hold on Anytime Challenges may not be as accurate as it was when first published.

To enable us to display as much correct information as possible on the database, I would like to enlist the help of LDWA members and LDWA Groups. If you or your group undertake one of the Anytime Challenges (or in fact any of the LDPs) on the Database, please could you give us some feedback, whether positive or negative. This could range from footpath diversions to discrepancies in the GPX files. Likewise if you have any photos from the route that would enhance the database, we would be pleased to add these. The more accurate the database, the more people may be attracted to the LDWA and the more satisfied walkers we will have.

I can be contacted by email at ldp@ldwa.org.uk or through the contact us section as detailed on the LDWA website.

Thank you

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law