Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Woldsman 2019

Author: Michael Jones
Posted: Thu 23rd May 2019, 23:57
Local Group: Heart of England
Jeff, I realise I'm rather late joining the conversation here, but just to correct a point in your initial post - "Since we have brought someone in to do the 2022 100 mile walk could we get someone to organise this event" - we have not "brought someone in" for the 2022 100 at all. I (an existing LDWA member) had an idea for a route which I thought might be suitable; when I first showed it to two NEC members it was just as "something we might possibly do sometime", but I was told that there had been no other proposals for 2022, so the initial vague idea became a definite intention to do it in that year. All the other event committee members (including Madeleine) are also existing LDWA members, and were either approached individually or responded to an online comment by offering to help.

I'm pleased to hear that the Woldsman is to continue next year; unfortunately I was unable to make this year's date, but I have fond memories of the one previous time I did enter, and will certainly try to make it back next year (if John and Murray are still sweeping I'll probably see them again!). In the meantime I'll just point out that LDWA events rely entirely on volunteers to take place, and the main reason some events disappear from the calendar is a lack of people willing to volunteer. If you want to help ensure that an event will continue, you could always consider volunteering yourself.
Author: Jeff Stevens
Posted: Fri 17th May 2019, 13:09
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Many thanks Graham.
That is brilliant already in my diary .
Many thanks jeff
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Thu 16th May 2019, 23:19
Great news! Date for the diary!
Author: Graham Hadfield
Posted: Tue 14th May 2019, 19:00
Local Group: East Yorkshire
The Woldsman now has a new cordinator and is to continue.
Next Year it will be on 4th April
Posted: Tue 30th Apr 2019, 22:07
hi all
Posted: Mon 22nd Apr 2019, 7:36
Hi Tony
Its getting better by the day .From my point when I go to do a challenge I take Lisa and make it a long weekend and Lisa goes shopping a fair bit .
we like to put something back into the local economy .We have decided instead of going abroad all the time we will go and do as many challenges as i can fit in .

why go abroad when we have this much beauty in our country and with the ldwa walks where the walks highlight the best bits we have in this country.
Like the 2 challenges in the lakes i have done this year normally i only go for the big peaks but doing Thats lyth ans Spring in the lakeland this has highlighted another view for me .Like wise i have done 3 challenge walks in the west pennines and how beautiful that area is i get goose bumps now every time i do a challenge now.

Same as down south there walks are lovely too but the more challenges we do up here and with posting on Facebook we may get a lot more interest in the ldwa.
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Sun 21st Apr 2019, 22:58
Local Group: Lakeland
We are working on the same idea in the North/North West area. We hope to have some good news soon.
Posted: Sun 21st Apr 2019, 19:45
Ian that is brilliant
I am going to do the Shotley peninsula this September so i can attempt to get the eastern triple challenge but I am having to miss out on the
Red Rose 50 which I really wanted to do. We could possibly do a challenge for all four of the 50s and get a certificate. and a certificate for doing a triple or is this just me being to greedy.

But Brilliant idea Ian i think this is the way forward.

Cheers jeff
Author: Ian Hull
Posted: Sun 21st Apr 2019, 17:46
Local Group: South Pennine
Madeline et al

Just a thought but is it worth considering a Northern Triple Challenge viz :
Year 1) North Leeds 2) Woldsman 3) A Foot in Two Dales : then the cycle repeats .

When it is their turn every third year the organising group could seek assistance from the other two groups to staff a CP ? It would spread the load for the organising group to once every three years ; whilst the event would appeal to entrants not just as a 100 qualifier or completing a 50 but also for the challenge of keeping the sequence going each year for consecutive completions . It certainly keeps me & others heading South every year for the Southern TC completions (gold beckons in September!) , likewise the SW TCs & is why I'm heading to Shotley later this year to complete the Eastern TC .

Like I've mentioned just a thought but worth a conversation with neighbouring groups ? Perhaps this could help save the Woldsman from completely disappearing ?
Posted: Sun 21st Apr 2019, 6:31
That would be great Madeleine keep me posted would love a fifty in my own county and North Leeds there is a lot of potential very beautiful area going out . I use to do a lot of Road and mountain biking Into the Ilkley area with the Leeds lads based at whinmoor.

Many thanks taking time to look and post on the forum Madeleine
Regards Jeff
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Sat 20th Apr 2019, 22:17
Jeff - I've been doing a lot of work on a 50 mile event for next Feb/March starting in North Leeds. Look out for info soon I hope. The idea was to do it in years when the Poppyline wasn't on. Will see what happens with the Herts Stroller and other events.
Posted: Sat 20th Apr 2019, 20:40
Thanks for posting a reply graham looking forward to hearing from you in august if you need someone to help i would be willing it would be a shame to lose out on such a wonderful walk .Which i can say is my favorite
Once again many thanks jeff.
Author: Graham Hadfield
Posted: Sat 20th Apr 2019, 17:40
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Hi Jeff,

As you are aware the organiser for this year has stood down. As stated this puts the event in jeopardy; however we are aware of the popularity of the event.
At present several key members of the group are on holiday - recovering from a busy time.
The EY Group will be discussing the Woldsman at the next committee meeting (Mid-May), when all options will be investigated.
Posted: Sat 20th Apr 2019, 9:58
As no one of authority has got back in touch could the walk possibly be done every 2 years like the Poppyline / Shotley Peninsula and Hearts stroller if we got some one to run the event i would be happy to help and would pledge some money to help fund until the event gets on its feet also could put it into a Northern challenge where possibly if you do the Woldsman/Red Rose 50 and the A foot in two dales you could possibly get
an extra certificate for doing like the eastern triple . This is just an idea any thoughts.
Many thanks to all who have taken time to look at the post Jeff
Posted: Tue 9th Apr 2019, 15:40
I did the Woldsman this year with 3 friends one had flown in from Dubai especially to do the event , Two did not finish but were that impressed by the walk and the check point staff and all the walkers that they wanted to train and compete again next year.
Me personally this is my favorite 50 miler and have been waiting for it to come back to compete. I went around at a steady pace and took all the sites .sounds and atmosphere in and loved it . My friends are impressed and are joining the LDWA

I waited for the results and could have dropped when it said that this year would probably be the last unless someone took over the organizing of the event.

Since we have brought someone in to do the 2022 100 mile walk could we get someone to organise this event, And put it on a weekend when there are no other events so we get more people walking it.

I am gutted that it wont run again . But on a lighter note i would like to thank all the checkpoint staff and organisers who made this weekend possible.
Many thanks Jeff

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law