Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Offa’s Dyke

Author: Steph Carter
Posted: Mon 2nd Sep 2019, 0:19
Local Group: North Yorkshire
Dick,

The Offas Dyke Waymarking is generally good - but a guidebook with map is still near essential.

As previous posts have said the terrain is generally rolling, and truly flat sections are rare. The Wye Valley section from start to Monmouth has a lot of ascent (though not particualrly steep) and its long. The Clwydian Hills section is up and down, with a few steep sections. The section north of Knighton I found tough- with "the switchbacks"- a number of steep ups and steep downs. The only virtue is this is mid walk, so at least you are in condition by then.

It is a most beautiful walk!

Steph
Author: Dick Smith
Posted: Sat 17th Aug 2019, 9:10
Local Group: Bristol & West
Contemplating Offas Dyke having just completed C2C. How well waymarked is the path? Hopefully better than C2C! How does it compare to C2C in respect of steep ascents? I found the Lake District bits somewhat challenging as were some of the short ascents on the Cleveland Way.
Accommodation tips welcome.
Author: Kevin Clark
Posted: Thu 19th Apr 2018, 23:31
Thanks Arthur, a good plate of fish and chips will be welcome by the time we get to Prestatyn, and we’ll certainly look out for the Rock Rose along the way. As we leave Alberta we will leave behind 18” of snow in our back-garden and as recently as last week were still shoveling the white stuff; suffice to say it’s been a long winter with the daffodils/tulips only just beginning to see daylight. The hills of the Dyke will be most welcome, with or without rain. K.
Author: Arthur Metcalfe
Posted: Sat 24th Mar 2018, 10:52
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi you will both find Offa,s Dyke a very colourfull route.with masses of greenary all around,and look for the beautyfull yellow Rock Rose as you come down into Prestatyn. If you like Fish and Chips I can recomend Karl's on the High street the best i've eatern in years.
Posted: Thu 11th Jan 2018, 22:38
Thanks so much David. You don’t make it sound toooo dawnting. We are down to the final coin-toss and since we are holding available flights the decision is imminent. Thanks for taking the time to respond. K
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Thu 11th Jan 2018, 19:24
Local Group: South Wales
Hi Kevin,
I'd say it's a lumpier route than C2C. C2C has most of its height ascent concentrated in the west but relatively flat thereafter,
Offa's Dyke has several sections that are up and down.

Assuming you'll be walking north, the Wye Valley often surprises people with its rises and falls to Monmouth.
The section to Pandy crosses agricultural land but is not difficult. From Pandy to Hay-on-Wye you have to climb to over 2000 ft to access Hatterell Hill but then you have miles and miles of glorious ridge walking. From Hay to Knighton, the route has several elevations although none are particularly big, but cumulatively tiring. North of Knighton you will face the hardest section with several ups and downs over several miles.There is a very flat section when following the Severn Valley before heading into the Clwydian Hills. This is a magnificent section but again there are several ups and downs on the way to the northern terminus at Prestatyn.

But, having answered your question in relation to the height ascent, I would say that Offa's Dyke is a most magnificent long distance walk and one that is highly enjoyable. If you decide to use the B&Bs that are advertised by the ODP association, then you will be treated fabulously and all seem to try to outdo each other with home made cakes that will greet your arrival.

Hope you do it and enjoy the experience.
Posted: Thu 11th Jan 2018, 2:53
Greetings from Canada. My wife and I (70yrs+/-) are serious recreational distance walkers with the Wainwright Coast to Coast path and the middle 200 mile leg of the Southwest Coast path in the last five years. We are seriously considering attempting Offa’s Dyke this April/May over 17 days but cannot get a good handle on the comparative elevations to C2C; just how much more challenging will Wales be? This and any other advise would be much apprciated.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law