Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Using GPX files

Author: John Grimes
Posted: Mon 7th Oct 2013, 9:39
Local Group: South Wales
Thank you both - that was really helpful. I shall hours of fun playing with this now!

Thank you again. Best wishes,

John
Author: Andy Todd
Posted: Fri 4th Oct 2013, 22:41
Local Group: Wiltshire
GPX tracks are a series of waypoints in order. All a program that displays a track is doing is to drawn a straight line between each point.

You can see this if you open up the gpx file in a text editor. GP files are just an XML file.

As said you can use web site to reduce the number of points. If you want to cut out sections then you will probably find it easier to do via a web site, but you can do it by editing the file by hand
Author: Emma Key
Posted: Fri 4th Oct 2013, 15:21
Local Group: Staffordshire
Hi John

I'm not very technological but I had this problem with my GPS - took me ages (and a lot of googling) to figure out why it would only display half my route.

The way I have found to fix it is to load the route into http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php then click on the options button on the right towards the bottom. In there is an option called Trackpoint Reduction - put in 250 then resave the route. It should then be OK to use with your GPS.

I'm sure someone else will be along with a better solution but that may be a good start for you!

Cheers

Emma
Author: John Grimes
Posted: Wed 2nd Oct 2013, 15:13
Local Group: South Wales
Can anyone help, please. I have just downloaded a couple of LDWA GPX files to my lap top and opened them using Easy GPS. All I see is a track and no waypoints. The one will download to my eTrex-H but for the other I am told the file has more points track than my GPS will handle. I am stuck! Can I decode the tracks to see waypoints and turn them into routes? If not, how can I cut out a section of a track? Do I just need better software to do this? (Is all this explained somewhere on the LDWA web site - I am new to it!) Do I just have to learn to navigate from a track? Thanks for any help.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law