Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Games 100 - marshals' walk

Author: Martin Callow
Posted: Wed 9th May 2012, 19:34
Local Group: Dorset
I agree with previous comments. Brilliant organisation. Hope Hannah got in alright.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Tue 8th May 2012, 10:31
Local Group: Dorset
I can only add to all the previous comments about the great support. It is a tough proposition, marshalling on the marshals walk. The LDWA at its best. It was a memorable walk, and far from easy in the conditions. My thanks to everyone.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Mon 7th May 2012, 22:40
Local Group: Surrey
A really good event, though more so in hindsight than when leaving the bright warmth and comfort of Box Hill CP to return to the dark, rain and cold of the North Downs Way. And of course the mud. Plenty of it, and conveniently collected in deep gullies so you can’t avoid it.

Organisation spot on, catering splendid, help and friendliness at the CPs: overwhelming. Good to see so many old friends. Thanks to all concerned.

PS Chips and cheese at Old Woking CP just right at 80 miles
Author: Ken Falconer
Posted: Mon 7th May 2012, 22:05
Local Group: Heart of Scotland
Many thanks to everyone involved in putting on the Marshals' 100 this weekend, especially to Dave and Lynn for overseeing the operation. The support was excellent with varied and plentiful food and friendly encouragement from checkpointers. I know that it can be very tedious for marshals on marshals' events with long gaps between groups coming through, and their efforts were very much appreciated.

The route certainly has plenty of interest and variety: Olympic sites, Thames-side architecture, old and new, Surrey woods and heathland, parkland, notably Windsor Great Park. There were a few 'extras' that were not mentioned in the description, such as the HMS Ocean in the Thames and surface to air missiles in Eltham Park!

We look forward to helping on the main event at the start of June on what will be a memorable event - hopefully there will be enough good weather by then to dry out the Surrey mud, which certainly lived up to its reputation on the marshals' walk!
Author: R Neil Higham
Posted: Mon 7th May 2012, 20:05
Local Group: Kent
Well, it's now finished and proved a very useful trial run - I can't use the word "dry" run, can I! We learnt quite a bit and will take on board what worked (most) and what didn't. Hopefully all the entrants could take away some good memories (and sights), despite the worse than expected conditions.

Congratulations to the 33 who finished and commiserations to the 10 who failed to finish, for various reasons, injuries, exhaustion, losing the way, and the last couple being timed out at about 80 miles (though a very creditable performance by the female half who, I understand, only did her first 50 earlier this year).

Special congratulations to Paul Lawrence who finshed his first 100 - on his own course.

Congrats and commiserations to the main event Catering Supremo / Director etc etc, Janet Chapman, who started the event age 21 and finished age 22!

And a possible statistical fluke? Subject to closer analysis, checking and corroboration, Ken and Isobel Falconer both finished at ten past three. So what, you might ask? Well, they did different routes (Ken in, Isobel out of Windsor Great Park) and converting to the 24 hour clock, Isobel was 03:10 (Monday) and Ken 15:10 (Sunday). I will leave Ken to work out the probablity of such an occurrence.

Finally, thanks to all the Marshals for this walk, and especially the Yorstens, Lynn and Dave (not forgetting daughter Coral), and their crew who organised this event.

The real work begins now!!
Author: Fiona Cameron
Posted: Mon 7th May 2012, 17:08
Thank you to Dave & Lynn, and all the marshals who helped this weekend. Great atmosphere and good support. Shame about the weather that we've had making the route so tediously awful. Combined with the rain overnight, I'd had more than enough by the breakfast stop - mentally not up for another 20hrs of the same. Well done to all those who stuck it out, especially Madeleine, Christophe and Stefanie.

Looking forward to seeing it all from the other side on the main event.

Merrian, good job with the Twitter feed. It was good keeping track of everyone's progress yesterday - #Games100 is a must for the main event.
Author: Norman Corrin
Posted: Mon 7th May 2012, 9:26
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Whoops, should have signed that.....Merrian
Posted: Mon 7th May 2012, 9:25
Using Norman's login. All finished.
Posted: Fri 4th May 2012, 12:43
Well done M. Don't make the quotes too juicy!

See you somewhere over the weekend.
Author: Merrian Lancaster
Posted: Fri 4th May 2012, 10:50
I'd better make it clear that I'm not doing the event, just helping at viccy park, then following round. So, you won't get the real insider stuff, unless I can a few juicy quotes along the way.
Author: Julia Warman
Posted: Fri 4th May 2012, 8:49
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Good luck to all of you on the marshals 100 this weekend. Merrian - what an excellent idea with the Twitter, I will follow with great interest.
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Thu 3rd May 2012, 22:27
Local Group: West Yorkshire
BBC weather says cloudy. Met office light rain on Saturday teatime. I always liked the BBC ....

Doing final packing now. Will let the kids know about the twitter Merrian - if they're out of bed I'm sure they'll be following with great devotion! See you at the start (and hopefully part way round too)
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Thu 3rd May 2012, 16:54
I look forward to seeing that, Merrian, after the event.

I do wish the weather would make up its mind:rain on, rain off, rain on, rain off. Now its rain on again.
So I'm happy to have one more change.
Author: Merrian Lancaster
Posted: Thu 3rd May 2012, 15:58
I've created a twitter account today and will try to add to it over the weekend. I haven't used twitter before, so please don't expect too much. I won't be surprised if nothing gets posted.

Here's the link

merrianldwa

I'm told that you don't have to register, sign in or follow in order to read it.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law