Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - London 100 Info.

Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Thu 19th Jan 2012, 18:16
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Well folks, what's all the "furore" about?
John has the right to his opinion, serious or not and some points i agree with, why do we need to "recce" and have the route months in advance???? Is it because we are becomeing time obsessed.
I love the 100's, and all that goe's with it, haveing done 15 so far 10 as blind walks and 5 recce'd.
Enjoyed all of them, did,nt make much difference (due to the exellent route descriptions we are given),
long may they continue.
Roy.
Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Mon 16th Jan 2012, 20:50
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Hey Simon, I don't mind a bit of berating; can't say I understand some of the posts, but having failed to ban Events I'm now moving on to try to ban Christmas
Author: Forum Moderator
Posted: Mon 16th Jan 2012, 14:45
Sorry I didn't see this post until today. What's the general feeling within the community about this post? Do you still want me close this thread or have enough people publicly berated John B. about this to leave it open?

Remember: if something offends you on this forum you must report the issue to the moderator by clicking the link on the side bar. This sends an automatic email informing me about the issue. I can then take the necessary action to closed the thread. Remember I’m only human and sometimes I don’t have the time to read through all the posts on this forum – work gets in the way!
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Sun 15th Jan 2012, 12:01
David, do not know if your right or wrong. By posting what he did as get few people's back's up including mine, I still think in hindsight we have to respect the fact that he is one our decision makers being on the National Committee and I'm sure not many of them if any agree with his views on the hundred. In my opinion with office comes responsibly to the rank and file members like myself. Again in my opinion that is why we do not get many posts on here from committee members apart from to the point statements when one of the said member feel its necessary.

I reason I asked for this thread to be deleted was......... I was out walker on my own yesterday and was thinking about this thread and why it was allowed to still be on here as some of the posts do break the forum guildlines. And I came to the conclusion that the powers to be are happy leave it here. OK maybe my mind is working overtime and I'm wrong, but why else is it allowed to be still here. OK I do know John as got some very strong views and is not slow at telling us about them, but I think he could make a good contribution to our club once to settles in.
Author: David Kearns
Posted: Sun 15th Jan 2012, 10:18
Surely this Forum is exactly the right place to discuss these matters? Certainly better than using it for private chit-chat
Posted: Sat 14th Jan 2012, 21:08
PS, I did not ask for this thread to be deleted because of anything I've posted on here. I just thought that maybe this was not the right place to discuss it. This thread can stay for me and I stand by all I have said.

Ian Sykes.
Posted: Sat 14th Jan 2012, 21:00
John, I'm sorry but you did say to me that if you had your way only social walks would be allowed. That is why I spent well over a hour defending the Hundred and events with you. I do not know how serious you was, but that is the way I read it.

If you was doing a wind up on me, then maybe it was not a very wise thing to do. But most of your posts on here do seam one way or another anti events and in particularly the hundreds.
Posted: Sat 14th Jan 2012, 20:44
Now, I can admit to my post being a bit robust, but no way or anywhere have I talked of banning any Events (my first introduction to LDWA was on Events) where have you got that impression Ian? A few heated debates between us when sweeping, but I have always let my preference for socials be known, even writing a letter in Strider some years ago. My words are my own, not the Committee's, and the invective aroused by contrary views to some is astounding
Posted: Sat 14th Jan 2012, 19:47
Thank John for your prompt post, yes we all know where the National Committee stands on the hundreds but thankyou for confirming it for any that did have doubts. But why is thread still live? Why as it not been deleted? Come on John get rid of it please. The best place to debate this would be at the next committee meeting and not on a open forum.

Ian Sykes.
Author: John Sparshatt
Posted: Sat 14th Jan 2012, 19:12
Local Group: West Yorkshire
The National Committee are committed to the hundred as is evident from Strider (news of future hundreds) and the clammer to host a hundred from various groups for the next few years. I am aware of other groups who are also keen to get involved in future years. Local Groups involvement is paramount to hosting a hundred or for that matter any other challenge event. Hundreds of volunteers, wifes and friends contribute to this annual event which is the ultimate in the LDWA year. Without all these groups investing their time (and money) into this very social gathering it would not take place. I know from past experience what enjoyment, pleasure and pain so may of our members gain from taking part in whatever capacity. The whole thing reflects very well on the LDWA ethos and long may it remain. It does not detract from the other members of the LDWA who enjoy social walks, ordinary challenge walks, peak bagging and walking long distance paths, alone or in groups, but enhances this organisation in all its aspects.
Posted: Sat 14th Jan 2012, 17:10
Can the site moderator tell us why this thread is still up and running. I cannot believe that he as not see it. As he been told not to delete it? I would have thought that some of the National Committee as seen it as well. Has there been behind the scene moves to leave this thread up?

Come on enough is enough, I think John as got the message by now so lets have this thread deleted. Or am I on my own in thinking John is been left to the mercy of the members by the National Committee?

So will someone care to tell me why a joke (taking the micky out of Yorkshiremen) made by someone was deleted within 24hours when this thread that as posts, including mine that break the forum guildlines is still up and running?

Ian Sykes.
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Sat 14th Jan 2012, 16:31
Local Group: Lakeland
I too thought that Hundreds were not for me, but I put the White Rose Hundred on my "to do" list when I retired - and I was hooked. I was only planning to do the one, but found that it was something I enjoyed immensely and seemed to be quite good at. The Games Hundred marshals walk will hopefully be my ninth.
There are a number of reasons why I think the Hundred is such a great event, but the social aspects are a big factor. It's the one weekend of the year when you meet up with so many familiar faces. There are few places I would rather be than at the finish of a Hundred on the Monday morning, swapping stories and cheering in the late finishers.
As for recceing the route, like many people I walk out the sections that I expect to do in the dark, but prefer to see the rest for the first time on the event. Anticipating but not knowing what is round the corner adds to the enjoyment and also helps keep you alert.
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Fri 13th Jan 2012, 20:22
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
John, I do both types of walks - challenge and social. Sometimes social walks can be more of a challenge than challenge walks if the leader and the rest of the pack are fast and you find yourself in the back with no one to talk to. Challenge walks are very social, more so than social walks sometimes. You get to talk with loads of folks before the event. Not so many after the event in my case 'cos they have finished, eaten and departed! But usually you can go at your own pace and lots of time to take photos, you don't have to dash!

Please don't take the forum too seriously. A good argument is good though. Enjoy the LDWA! it's why we joined. Well i did for the walks then found I quite liked the oddball, mixed and great company of everyone. Ignore who you dislike, but don't post (dislike) on the forum- but put up good discussion! instead!

And I'll buy a round for everyone in Windsor- I won't have to remorgage my home.... just sell my body to the highest bidder.
Posted: Fri 13th Jan 2012, 18:16
I wonder if John would change his attitude if he came down to Windsor and helped out or just have a look around to see how much work it takes to put on the Hundred. So John may I invite you to join us, we will be based in Windsor all weekend but you don't have to keep with us, if you want to go for a drive around visiting some of the checkpoint. Just bring a camp bed and a sleeping bag, Edith we supply you with breakfast and endless mugs of tea/coffee. Why not join us for a drink in Windsor on the Friday evening (Eileen's round I do believe). You never know you might enjoy yourself so much you even may enter next years hundred.

This is a serious offer John, you will be made very welcome by us all.

Ian Sykes.
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Fri 13th Jan 2012, 17:26
Local Group: Marches
I was going to type a response to the 'comments' made about 100's, challenge walks, and reccying routes but decided it wasn't worth wasting the ink :-).....Suffice to say I am so grateful to be a member of an organisation who has so many people willing to give up their free time to organise challenge events, enjoyed and loved by many of all abilities and adds something a bit special to the LDWA. Choice is yours - you don't have to do them!
Author: Martin Kenyon
Posted: Fri 13th Jan 2012, 11:58
Hello Neil, Many thanks for the information, it puts myself and all the other entrants in a more clearer picture. It sounds like the London 100 route will be a great legacy for social and long distance walkers alike. And many thanks to all on the organizing committee for their huge input and selfless support to the event and LDWA. Cheers, Martin.
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Fri 13th Jan 2012, 8:21
Neil I am intrigued - what special road crossing abilities do 100 mile walkers have that are not shared by those participating in a "walk for health". I would have thought that the latter might be more capable of crossing safely than the walker deep into his second night with 85 miles on the clock.

While you ponder this conundrum - not that I suppose you have any time to do so - let me say that you have spent 3-4 years working to stage the Games 100 on behalf of the National Committee. You deserve the thanks of us all and the unconditional public support of all members of that committe. I question the role of any National committee member who is totally ignorant of the organisation and impact of the LDWA flagship event and cannot at the very least keep his mouth shut on the subject on a public forum.
Author: R Neil Higham
Posted: Thu 12th Jan 2012, 22:55
Local Group: Kent
(To get back to the original question, if I may ..........)

Martin, Hi

As I have just posted in response to Rebecca Lawrence - see the concurrent topic (headed LDWA 2012 - Games 100) - that the provisional route description (with provisional Checkpoint timings etc) will hopefully be available towards the end of this month.

The Harvey's Map with the route on will also need to be available 'soon', and I believe that entrants will be able to download the track for their GPS (this technology is way beyond me, I have enough trouble walking!).

This particular 100 has had perhaps some different problems to address than others have experienced - in particular, the route has been planned with the general public in mind - as shown on the INSPIRE page:

"Secondly, as part of a 2012 Games legacy and to provide a wide participation in the project to those not aspiring or able to complete the 100-mile walk in 2012 in a single walk, or too young to enter the 100, the LDWA Games 100 walk route will join the UK's family of promoted long distance footpaths that are open to anyone to walk free, in their own way at any time. The LDWA is establishing the route as an LDP with a free downloadable or low cost publication that will also inform about the many heritage sites and landscapes encountered along the route. This will provide a 2012 Games-linked legacy resource for walk leaders, ranging from walking clubs to health walks."

Accordingly, we are having to be very conscious of eg road crossings, and this has led to one or two slight re-routes; however, the checkpoints are all booked, so any more changes will be minor or 'cosmetic'.

In due course, we hope to be offering a few hints for those wishing to pre-walk, suggesting convenient starting and stopping points, and including some public transport information - however, anyone based in central London will be ideally placed as 'all' trains go to London.

Hope that this helps.

Neil Higham, 2012 Organising Committee
Author: Neil Fullwood
Posted: Thu 12th Jan 2012, 19:43
For someone who has been in the LDWA for five minutes, apparently does not like challenge walks, has never attempted a Hundred and for all I know, has yet to organise any event save for social strolls, John Batham has a singularly big and ill-informed mouth. How on earth he got himself elected onto the National Executive is beyond me. If he does not like the Association and what it has done very successfully and enjoyably for the past 40 years, then perhaps he would do us all a big favour and resign, preferably this evening.
Posted: Thu 12th Jan 2012, 16:18
It would be interesting to find out how other members on the National Committee see the way forward for our club. If John as his way he'll ban all challenge walks within the LDWA. To me that will turn us into a offshoot of the RA god forbid. Is John only speaking for his self on this or are other National Committee Members in agreement with him? I've spoken to John a few times about which path the LDWA should take in the future and I've been very outspoken against his views, so much so that I've been told that I may not be welcome within the LDWA. Well to be honest, if the LDWA dose go down the road of social walks only I would not be bothered if I am thrown out of the LDWA.
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Thu 12th Jan 2012, 11:00
Local Group: South Wales
What about because the 100 usually shows the best that an area has to offer, and that combined with the great distance makes the event so memorable?
What about because there are so many selfless people who help to run the event and make the event so memorable for those who enter?
What about the fact that some people put three / four years worth of work into the event to make it as special as possible to their guests who visit their area to walk their 100?
What about the fact that some people like to walk the route in advance to see the countryside that they won't see during the night section?
What about the fact that the 100 will bring conservativley £25,000 into the local economy through money spent on village halls, checkpoint food and other expenses, not to mention the money that entrants spend on B&B's prior to and after the event?
This is the flagship event of this organisation for a reason.
Posted: Wed 11th Jan 2012, 22:33
John, I cannot believe it, you do keep putting your foot in it, don't you. Do you suffer from your typing finger being faster them your brain? You say only a small part of our walking club do the hundred's but is that right. I would think that most of our members would like to do one, if only to see what all the fuss is about. John why not come down to Windsor and help out on this year's 100. I'm sure we can find you some floor space to sleep when your no helping out. Yes only 500 are taking part but how many of the helpers are ex 100ers like John W and myself. When talking with you you've made no secret of the fact that you do not like events and the fact that if you had your way you would ban all events and only allow social walks. Well John I for one joined the LDWA because it dose events and long may it continue to do so.

Re people wanting the route, while I myself never wanted the route beforehand, I can see why most will. What is wrong with people prewalking the walk if they what to. The challenge you are talking about is walking 100 miles on foot within 48 hours and not, not knowing the route before the day. That would make it a kanter. Now there's thought.

Ian Sykes
Posted: Wed 11th Jan 2012, 21:49
For an event which takes place in what ...June ... I am puzzled why people need full detail in early January, what's wrong with getting the route on the day? Why do people need to recce the route, its a challenge isn't it?

I have never got into the 100's culture, being a social walker predominantly. The 100's, even routine Challenge walks, never give much time for social discourse, to appreciate the surroundings, often mindless competitive tromping and harrumphing....what is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare...(a brutal paraphrase) - we have well over 7000 members, disproportionate emphasis on 500 who do the 100 milers in my opinion; a small subset of our great organisation who shout above their weight
Author: Martin Kenyon
Posted: Wed 4th Jan 2012, 20:51
Hello, I wonder if it is possible for someone to inform the entrants (of which I am one) of this years 100 when more details are being released please? This time last year I had worked out all my timings, including start time, mapped the route and planned all my recceing weekends which started at Feb half term! Thank you.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law