Stroll on the Prom

A good mixed group assembled at Yatton Station - Bristol & West and Wilts group members and new walkers. We welcomed a contingent from Latcham Direct, who had chosen this walk as part of their training for a 40 mile charity walk. We were led north out of Yatton along Moor Road for a short distance, to turn south east alongside Westmead Rhyne and to cross the railway. On the outskirts of Claverham, we turned north to Laurel Farm and along quiet roads to use the ‘stop, look, listen’ railway crossing at Kenn Moor Gate. We followed Claverham Drove and turned east to the River Kenn to follow this north and then north west to a morning stop near Nailsea Wall Road. We continued along the road and turned north along Yearling Ditch. We walked west along it to Hill Lane and climbed north and along Cadbury Camp Lane West to a bridge over the M5. We descended through the woods and walked along Moor Lane and into Walton-in-Gordano. We passed St Paul’s Church and climbed a path through the woods and across Clevedon Golf Course. We passed the impressive Clubhouse and zig-zagged to descend a steep path to the coast path. It had been hot at times as the clouds parted and the shaded path into Clevedon was welcome.  We had regular views of the Bristol Channel with Steep Holm and Flat Holm prominent ahead. We arrived at Clevedon for a welcome lunch stop at benches on the promenade. It was busy with people enjoying the warmer spring weather.

We continued along the coast past the Lookout and climbed and descended to the mouth of the River Kenn and found good paths and a general upgrading of walls and seating areas. We crossed the river near the radio masts and took a path south, which passed through a field of lively bullocks, to Riverside Farm. We stretched out along the road into Kingston Seymour for an afternoon stop at All Saints Church. We followed the Ham Lane south and turned into Yew Tree Lane, crossed the motorway and turned south west to follow a path along the drainage channel to Wemberham Lane. We followed this road into Yatton and arrived back at 4.35 pm. We experienced no mud and noticed fields in need of rain. It had been an enjoyable walk of 19 miles, much of it at a good pace, and despite a cool start, the weather was fine and dry.