Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - THE WOLDSMAN

Posted: Thu 22nd Apr 2010, 22:13
Just got home from abroad I.E Driffield and The Woldsman. Another great event from East Yorkshire, how do they put on such a great spread at all the check points? or is overfeeding just a ploy to slow the pace?. As last year we (I) got misplaced (lost) somewhere around Thirsk on the way home. Still Two great results in one weekend Newcastle become champions and I finish the Woldsman, a good weeks work.
Posted: Thu 22nd Apr 2010, 20:48
Sorry I am Sean
Posted: Thu 22nd Apr 2010, 20:48
Thank you Louise, my walking friend and i have a training program of different challenge walks with the Housman 100 our goal. We know its going to be tough, but we want this and we have a year to prepare.....still not sure if its possible though..te he
Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Wed 21st Apr 2010, 20:56
Local Group: Staffordshire
Message for the person (5 messages back) who completed their first 50. Great feeling isn't it! Regarding the feet issues - it does get better. I've now done 4 x 50s - and it has become so much easier - still get a couple of blisters on one foot - but the other foot is blister free - marvellous. I also used to start fast, then end at the pace of a snail - but now I manage a fairly consistent pace all the way through - and finish in less time (although I'm not a clock watcher). So - before the Houseman - I recommend more 50s, practice and develop your own approach, and work out how to look after your feet.
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Wed 21st Apr 2010, 12:53
Local Group: Marches
Hi Mike

Will it be third time lucky for me for the Giant??? I hope so. He's been seen with an even bigger smile on his face knowing he's beat me for the past 2 times. Ran a lot of the Woldsman but recovering well (eating like a horse) and planning to take it relatively easy for the Giant to make sure I finish this time! Especially as I think this is the 3rd leg of the triple challenge for me (is that still going?) so got to make sure - I don't think I could face the shame!!!

see you on Sat!
Posted: Wed 21st Apr 2010, 12:53
Hi Mike

Will it be third time lucky for me for the Giant??? I hope so. He's been seen with an even bigger smile on his face knowing he's beat me for the past 2 times. Ran a lot of the Woldsman but recovering well (eating like a horse) and planning to take it relatively easy for the Giant to make sure I finish this time! Especially as I think this is the 3rd leg of the triple challenge for me (is that still going?) so got to make sure - I don't think I could face the shame!!!

see you on Sat!
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Tue 20th Apr 2010, 19:35
Local Group: Dorset
Hi Rebecca,

The Woldsman sounds good, it is on my list for next year - I hope you haven't over done it last weekend, because I think you are entered for the Dorset Giant this weekend...

Let me encourage you by saying that it is looking really nice down here in Dorset. The countryside is beautiful at this time of year and the weather forecast is predicting continuing dry and sunny conditions over the weekend coming. There will be a nearly full moon for the event, which should be nice. And there will be delicious home made food at checkpoints. That should do the trick!

we look forward to seeing you
Posted: Tue 20th Apr 2010, 13:00
A great day out, beautiful weather, runable ground, and lovely to meet up & natter with folk who will be doing the 100 in May. Thank you so much to all the marshal's for their support, encouragement & food ;-)
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Mon 19th Apr 2010, 15:37
Local Group: East Yorkshire
You have made a promising start - you didn't give up when your feet started to hurt. Walking the 100 is quite often more mental than physical and the ability to carry on through the bad times is what gets you through.
Yet again the tracks were baked hard by the recent dry spell but this made for fast progress. Super checkpoints - stayed as long as decent at all of them (probably spent 2 hours overall just at checkpoints enjoying the banter, and food obviously).
Now just some gentle exercise between now and Heart of Scotland.
Hope the organisers feel it worthwhile to repeat and put on a Woldsman 2011
Posted: Mon 19th Apr 2010, 12:39
The Woldsman, my first 50, yeh it hurt, not sure what went wrong with my footwear whether it was a sock or shoe issue but my feet were hurting very early on and by the end were shot to pieces, oh well i didnt expect it to easy, and i just love ground that is baked tractor tyre tracks..not, the weather fantastic, checkpoints fantastic and overall a really good day and the scenery beatiful, thank you to everyone concerned, loved it...now for the The Houseman 100, i must be mad, cos i just dont know if its possible
Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Sun 18th Apr 2010, 22:18
Local Group: Staffordshire
Yes it was a great day, with the perfect blend of ingredients = a warm bright sunny day, exquisite night sky, lovely route. Thank you East Yorkshire for wonderful hospitality, and organisation.
Posted: Sun 18th Apr 2010, 17:49
Did this event yesterday and it was brilliant. Lovely sunshine throughout, and the helpers / checkpointers were superb. Food was fantastic and really well thought through - plenty of savoury as well as sweet things. Starts off following tracks in fields then follows dales with a few short sharp hills thrown in, but potentially a fast event if you are a runner / fast walker. Some of the route was a little bland and some of the tracks seemed to go unchanged for miles, but who cares when you can bask in such brilliant Yorkshire hospitality. Well done - fab event

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law