Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Reivers Way

Author: Richard Smith
Posted: Mon 26th Apr 2010, 13:09
Local Group: South Wales
Have you tried the book 'Dogs Welcome' - usually available in the travel section of WH Smiths or in Pets at Home. Is usually a good start. If I take my dogs, I tend to camp because I've had similar problems in the past!

Deb
Posted: Sun 11th Apr 2010, 20:36
Thanks for your help Mike,

I was getting blocked all ways on the the first three nights just because I had the dog. So I have given up on this walk and have just about organised the Cleveland Way in July.

I have one unused copy of the Reivers Way whcih someone can have for free in return for making a donation to a mountain/cave rescue group.

I am just about sorted but need accomodation in or around Robin Hoods Bay. I might have to get the bus back in to Whitby.

Shame about the Reivers Way. Perhaps i can get back up there and camp in the van and do some of the walk.

Dave
Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Thu 8th Apr 2010, 19:55
Local Group: Northumbria
Dave - did you get anywhere with these four leads?
Posted: Sun 21st Mar 2010, 22:14
Two more, but this list is quite old. Mrs Ann Bell, Woodpark Farm NE48 3PZ 01434 230259. Mrs A Nichol, Hetherington NE48 3DR 01434 230260. Not as close together as the phone numbers would seem to indicate!
Posted: Sun 21st Mar 2010, 21:31
Shitlington Crag Bunkhouse NE48 3QB? 01434 230330
Posted: Sun 21st Mar 2010, 21:25
Black Bull in Wark? 01434 230239
Posted: Sun 21st Mar 2010, 20:20
Dont know of B&Bs in Wark but I would see if there is any thing in Bellingham or Hexham and use the late evening and early morning Tyne valley bus service. Like you I think the price of B&Bs is not very walker frendly.
Posted: Sun 21st Mar 2010, 19:24
help! Does any one know of b&B near Wark that takes dogs?

I am having to put the walk on hold as the only accomodation at Wark is a hotel wanting to charge £120 for b&b and evening meals. Single room supplements are stupid!

Dave
Posted: Thu 11th Mar 2010, 20:10
Hello Andrew,
Thanks for the encouragement.

The new Cicerone guide is written last year by Paddy Dillon. My copy arrived yesterday.The book and its descriptions/maps etc look up to the usual high standards of paddy and Cicerone.

My planning has started.... the maps are out and I just have to persuade the dog that he needs another long walk (as if - he always get spoiled in pubs etc on these excursions)
Author: Andrew West
Posted: Wed 10th Mar 2010, 21:18
Local Group: Anytime Anywhere
The Reivers Way is an excellent route that takes in the best that Northumberland has to offer. I backpacked the route in 8 days a few years ago so accommodation wasn't an issue. However, when you get the excellent Cicerone guide by James Roberts, you will find the route broken down into 9 stages with places to stay at the end of each stage. As far as evening meals are concerned, I would presume you would need to check when making the bookings.

I walked the route in fine weather and camped in some marvellous locations . . . go for it and you will have great memories of the area.

Andrew
Posted: Mon 8th Mar 2010, 20:09
Thanks for the replies David. It cetainly seems like a good walk to do. The area is superb walking country. I am just waiting for the guide book to arrive and then I can start planning.

It seems that very few people do the route judging by the response to my request here and the lack of information gleaned from a web search.

Dave
Posted: Fri 5th Mar 2010, 4:28
Sorry no information on meals or Board but again because of the Roman Wall Trail it may not be to difficult till you get higher up.
Posted: Fri 5th Mar 2010, 4:25
It is a good interesting walk, I have never done it, as a whole but I have done it in bits. The latest booklet differs from the the first but not by much.Transport in the Tyne Valley / Allandale area will be no problem but out to wards the more distant parts you may have to be careful.
Posted: Thu 4th Mar 2010, 20:48
Hello

Has any body walked the Reivers Way? I am thinking of doing it with my dog in May
and so:
-what are your thoughts of it as an interesting walk
- any tips on accomodation
- are evening meals easy to find...

and all the other usual questions.

Thanks

Dave

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law