Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Falcon Flyer

Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Thu 18th Feb 2010, 6:30
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Apologies for my over-partisan and jaundiced comments. I did not mean to demean the splendid efforts of the extensive and cheery group of organisers and helpers. Maybe the excess of mud lowered my spirits.
Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Wed 17th Feb 2010, 20:09
Local Group: East Yorkshire
It's not such a long way from Beverley where I live and there are many people in East Yorkshire, believe it or not! EYLDWA is one of the most active Groups. The Falcon Flyer is not a patch on the Scarborough Rock or Filey Flyer and is greatly overpriced; also, no notification of the cliff path closure was given until reaching the Robin Hood's Bay checkpoint.
Author: Tony Deall
Posted: Sun 14th Feb 2010, 22:23
Local Group: Cumbria
Aunty Jenny was one of the loveliest people I have known. She was the wife of the late Matt Haxby, well known and charismatic Filey coble fisherman. Always with a smile on her face and a kind word, we spent many happy days in their company in the 70’s and 80’s. Although only an aunt by marriage I could not pass up the opportunity to attend her funeral last week after she had died peacefully at the great age of 91 following a short illness.
Ever helpful even after death she organised her passing so that I could also take part in the Falcon Flyer on the same visit! I have made many good friends in the Yorkshire groups over the last few years and they host some great events and social walks over their rolling moors. The Falcon Flyer was no exception with an interesting and demanding new route well marshalled and with excellent friendly hospitality at the Ravenscar HQ. Yes their was plenty of mud, some cold rain and more railway track than expected because of a late route diversion away from the cliff tops apparently due to land slip. But there were also fantastic long views, huge skies and vast seascapes. Robin Hood’s Bay is an amazing place and worth a visit at any time of the year.
Even though the Scarborough area seems a long way from most places I recommend a visit as often as you can make it. As for me – I have two more aged aunts in Filey!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law