Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Crooked January Jollies

Author: John King
Posted: Mon 18th Jan 2010, 9:46
I have to agree with everything that has been said an absolutely brilliant day in the company of a great bunch of folk.

Thanks Lillian and team

Have to say i missed the Wall to Wall sunshine whilst out on my trip over Cunswick, Scout scar, Sizergh and back to kendal,
on Sunday though :-)
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Sun 17th Jan 2010, 12:22
Local Group: Lakeland
Spot on, Tony. A lovely day despite the weather and ground conditions. There's a relaxed, friendly atmosphere at M, B & B's events and this was no exception.
I don't think I have ever done a challenge walk in such testing underfoot conditions. It was a relief when Bob told us that we were too late to do a second 10 mile loop - 16 miles in the day was quite enough.
My only grouse was that we had to wade through a freezing bog at the end of the first leg - and then go through it again at the start of the second one!

And of course it is wall to wall sunshine in Kendal today!
Author: Tony Deall
Posted: Sat 16th Jan 2010, 22:06
Local Group: Cumbria
Congratulations to Lilian and her team in putting on their Event during this frustrating period when so many others have had to be postponed or cancelled. Morecambe Bay & Bowland always give great value for money and today was no exception. Despite early torrential rain the parking work around worked well with car sharing shown to be easy and effective.
Walking has not been easy on the Cumbrian fells over the last few weeks due to the volume of unconsolidated snow but this was something else. The partial thaw had left paths covered in a mixture of ice, snow, frozen grass and running water. A real challenge – every step was a fight! My unplanned waist-deep visit into a passing stream was the icing on the cake!
I take my hat off to Geoff who completed all 3 loops. Two loops and 20+ miles was more than enough for me and took up most of the available daylight.
The warm and friendly welcome, not to mention lashings of food and drink, at every visit to base camp is what our organisation is all about. The 60 or more starters were fortunate to enjoy such a great day.....though sunshine next year would be nice!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law