Discussion Forum - Events - Dorset Giant 100K

Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Mon 26th Apr 2010, 8:42
Local Group: Dorset
Well done everyone - see "event reports" for comments
Posted: Wed 14th Apr 2010, 8:13
Chris is right about the distances, particularly between CP1/ CP2 and CP2/ CP3 -

Because this is a rather inaccessible part of Dorset, with long vehicle driving distances between some checkpoints, it is not really possible to lay on an extra drinks point - but you will be perfectly OK if you remember to fill up your water bottle at the checkpoints. Once past CP3 (Toller Porcorum) the checkpoints are 6 miles or less apart, which means that you do not have any more long sections, and you have something to look forward to in the depths of the Dorset night.

It is worth saying that there will be free tea and coffee at the start. Although the full breakfast at the start is only available to those who have already booked and paid for it in advance, we should have some bacon rolls and egg rolls available for sale (£1) - but please arrive early enough to give the catering crew time to do these. i.e don't wait until 8.55 to decide you feel a bit hungry.

And please have a pound coin in your hand...... not a twenty pound note
Author: Colin Baker
Posted: Sat 10th Apr 2010, 11:29
Local Group: Bristol & West
Thanks Chris, will do

Colin
Author: Chris Pitt
Posted: Sat 10th Apr 2010, 8:24
Colin, The Giant is really a lovely route through some great countryside. The marshals walk was a little muddy around some of the field gates and at the bottom of white horse hill but things are drying up now. Be aware of the distance between the first 3 check points especially if it is hot and ensure you carry enough to drink.
Author: Chris Boden
Posted: Wed 7th Apr 2010, 23:23
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Thanks for that, Mike - you've beaten the Woldsman to it by at least a week!

The route itself looks very similar to 2007 for the most part (i.e. Giant at > 40 miles again). I must remember to visit Cerne Abbas on the Friday evening this time - old Nobby doesn't photograph so well with the early morning sun behind him ......
Author: Chris Boden
Posted: Wed 7th Apr 2010, 23:22
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Posted: Wed 7th Apr 2010, 21:44
The route description has now been posted on the Dorset LDWA website.
Posted: Wed 7th Apr 2010, 9:55
thanks Mike, thats great- lightens my load considerably :-)

really looking forward to the event in a few weeks now

cheers

Colin
Posted: Mon 5th Apr 2010, 23:09
Hi Colin,

At CP1 (Abbotsbury 9.4 miles) there will be a good supply of biscuits, cake, snacks etc and cold drinks.

At all subsequent checkpoints beyond Abbotsbury (they are all indoors) there will be plenty of food and drink. We provide a substantial hot evening meal at CP4 (Frampton 36 miles) and a variety of snacks and drinks at later checkpoints throughout the night - and a cooked breakfast at the finish. We know from experience that to succeed on a tough endurance event like this you need plenty of sustenance. I am confident that you will be properly fed on the Dorset Giant.
Posted: Thu 1st Apr 2010, 22:00
great! many thanks for that
regards
Colin
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Thu 1st Apr 2010, 19:40
Local Group: Surrey
Thanks Mike. I look forward to seeing your Neolithic head. Presumably it puts a curse on anyone who doesn't close the farmer's gate behind them.

Colin, Mike can answer you better than I can, but you rely on the check points for all sustenance and carry only emergency food and water.
Posted: Wed 31st Mar 2010, 20:18
HI, as this is my groups first organised long distance event is there any advice to make things easier/more enjoyable ? we are competant with maps etc and have done practice walks up to 40 miles already. we are a bit uncertain about how far we depend on check points for food i.e. how much we need to carry ourselves. any advice is gratefully recieved :-)

cheers
Colin
Posted: Mon 29th Mar 2010, 9:43
Hi Elton,

I don't think our route goes close, although the precise location of the burial site has not been widely publicized (probably to avoid the unwelcome attention of souvenir hunters etc) However, the whole South Dorset Ridgeway area has one of the greatest concentrations of archaelogical sites in the country. I am intending to bring an unusual neolitihic carved stone head along to the event, which will be at the registration desk to help supervise proceedings. I found this during excavations for a new road at nearby Poundbury.

We had the marshals walk this last weekend. The walkers had almost ideal weather, but the ground was still very wet in places, and it was muddy. Everyone seemed to enjoy it, although we had comments that it is quite a tough event, and needs to be taken seriously. I think you will have a full (or nearly full) moon for the walk, which (if it is a clear night) will be very pretty and will make route finding a lot easier. There are lots of spring flowers coming, and it is a lovely time of year to be in Dorset

We are looking forward to seeing everyone on the walk in April

mike
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Sat 27th Mar 2010, 12:58
Local Group: Surrey
Does anyone know if the Giant route goes past the archaeological burial site of the 50 Vikings?
Posted: Mon 11th Jan 2010, 11:53
The entry limit for the Dorset Giant has now been reached, and the event is full - I am sorry if there are any potential entrants who are disappointed. There will be no reserve list, because we took "no shows" and cancellations into account when we set the limit.
Posted: Wed 6th Jan 2010, 8:09
Ther are now only 20 remaining places on this lovely event, and they are going fast. If you had really intended to enter, and had not quite got round to it... this is the reminder you need.

The entry limit is 220, when it is full, it's full. And that won't be long...

A springtime 100K in Dorset - what could be nicer ?

mike

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law