Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - GPS - State of the Art

Posted: Sun 14th Mar 2010, 13:17
Would any of you GPS users happen to have the track of the Wye Valley Walk in GPX format?
Author: Alan Greenwood
Posted: Sat 19th Dec 2009, 17:30
Local Group: Calderdale
Many thanks John. Perhaps it should be made available to everyone through the H of S website.
Author: John Sparshatt
Posted: Sat 19th Dec 2009, 16:05
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi Alan, all you have to do is ask. I have the file in GPX format. John
Author: Alan Greenwood
Posted: Thu 17th Dec 2009, 20:51
Local Group: Calderdale
Why doesn't the LDWA negotiate with either Satmap or The Heart of Scotland organisers to provide in GPX format (the universal format) a track of the whole route. We seem to be jumping ahead of ourselves in offering the Satmap facility when some of us already have different equipment and the provision of this type of information should anyway become the norm in the future FOC in the same way as you expect a route description.
Of course any discount on equipment is not to be sniffed at so LDWA please keep up the goodwork there.
Author: John Sparshatt
Posted: Thu 17th Dec 2009, 18:35
Local Group: West Yorkshire
The LDWA have negotiated with Satmap for a special map card for the Heart of Scotland Hundred. A custom card with the route of the hundred on is available to entrants on the hundred for use with the Satmap Active 10 at a cost of £29.99. Anyone wishing to purchase the Active 10 may have the custom card included, free of charge, at a special discount price of £299.99. For details contact Satmap on 0845 873 0101
Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Tue 1st Dec 2009, 22:08
Local Group: East Yorkshire
I have read and commented on several posts on GPS gizmos on this site and I would be interested in any early reviews of the new Memory Map dedicated unit - the 2800. Simon Leck's review of Satmap 10 v Garmin, in December's Strider, is most informative and backs my high opinion of Satmap, although he went to press without knowledge of the latest Garmin - the Oregon.

All have their positives and negatives but the Satmap's large screen and easy swapping and availability of SD card 1:25K maps puts it way ahead in user-friendliness. Mapping software is also way in advance over Garmin and the slow response in scrolling around maps is a major irritation in Garmin

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law