Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Pennine Way

Author: Rose Hakin
Posted: Mon 31st Dec 2012, 16:01
Local Group: Northumbria
Thanks for the very useful info Stuart. I am walking the PW next summer with camping gear so hopefully I will be able to print out your notes. Did you book ahead much or were you able to find pitches easily?
Posted: Sun 21st Oct 2012, 20:07
Just finished the Pennine Way on Friday 19/10/2012. Realising that I could not complete it in one go (yet) due to my work and private life, I planned with 2 friends to start the walk in January of this year completing a stage every month. We started in Edale doing 1 day stages up to March. After this we did 2 day stages taking us up to Byrness. On Friday we completed Byrness to Kirk Yetholm in 9 hrs. The majority of the walk was completed in driving rain, snow, sleet, hail and gale force winds. But the best conditions where experienced on the last day. No wind, sunny intervals, warm and excellent visibility in every direction. The remoteness and wildness of the Cheviots can not be described in words but this was the best section of all.
Posted: Sat 11th Feb 2012, 16:45
Of course I meant 'Bunkhouse' don't thin a binkhouse exists.
Posted: Sat 11th Feb 2012, 16:42
Sorry not got what you asked for, but I hope the weather improves for you, I camped and bink housed it during terrible conditions a couple of years ago,
9 days walking plus an emergency make and mend day at Horton.
Kirk Yetholme cut off by flood water the previous day and only had a few yards visibilty all the way across the Cheviots - didn't see one of them.
Dave.
Posted: Mon 2nd Jan 2012, 20:24
Has anyone got a Garmin compatible route for the Pennine way ? I'm setting out on the 14th of Jan to do it as part of The Spine challenge and have gone into major preparation mode. Many thanks Brian
Author: Charlotte Frith
Posted: Thu 7th Jan 2010, 17:25
Local Group: London
Thanks for posting this. I'll walking the Pennine Way later this year and all notes on accommodation, pubs etc. are very helpful!
Author: Stuart Dodson
Posted: Wed 21st Oct 2009, 15:55
Local Group: Lincolnshire
Pennine Way trip
I completes the PW in 19 days mostly camping and a few hostels and one B and B. Thought a few note would help anyone planning a trip.Well worth doing.All campsite save one had showers available.

August 2009 Accommodation

Crowden campsite-small shop. Warden helpful;

Standedge The Carriage pub, camp site near the road but good food and packed lunch

Mankinholes Cross Farm also a B and B, good camp site in a field, breakfast, pub in village,

Ponden House B and B /camp site, breakfast available maybe lift to Silent House pub a mile away for evening meal but maybe not back. Very buggy at camp,

East Marton camped in café garden. Dinner in Cross Keys. Body wash available in toilet .

11th East Marton to Malham. Veggie breakfast in Gargrave. busy campsite at Malham. Busy pub with other Wayers,

Horton in Ribblesdale. Campsite rowdy Owner contacted at 3.30am to sort noise out. Tea and breakfast in Pen y Ghent Café. Sandwiches available in shop nearby

Hardraw Green Dragon pub, camped in small field before waterfall, food and breakfast available.also other campsite close by over Bridge

Tan Hill day, tea and buns at café in Thwaite, Tan Hill pub strong beer, licensed for weddings wedding party in for me and entertainer. Biker place.

Baldersdale. Camped near to old Hostel after finding nearby Clove Hill B and B/ campsite unattended.

Langden Beck Youth Hostel. Meals . Lunch at Middleton in Teesdale.

Dufton Youth Hostel. Warden at the hostel helpful. Red squirrels in the garden. Pub opposite for meals.

Garrigill –pub closed only open four days a week!

Alston Youth Hostel. Pub nearby for meals.

Greenhead Hostel. (run from Hotel opposite) meals and beakfast in Hotel

Bellingham. lunch in Café. Private Hostel and bunk barn at Bellingham are run by the same private organisation, £15 pn no breakfast, went to B and B £26 with breakfast! .

Byrness hostel.

Hostel mostly Pennine Way trip August 2009 Accommodation

Crowden campsite-small shop. Warden helpful;

Standedge The Carriage pub, near the road but good food and packed lunch

Mankinholes Cross Farm also a B and B, good camp site in a field, breakfast, pub in village,

Ponden House B and B /camp site, breakfast available maybe lift to Silent House pub a mile away for evening meal but maybe not back. Very buggy at camp,

East Marton camped in café garden. Dinner in Cross Keys. Body wash available in toilet .

11th East Marton to Malham. Veggie breakfast in Gargrave. busy campsite at Malham. Busy pub with other Wayers,

Horton in Ribblesdale. Campsite rowdy Owner contacted at 3.30am to sort noise out. Tea and breakfast in Pen y Ghent Café. Sandwiches available in shop nearby

Hardraw Green Dragon pub, camp in small field before waterfall, food and breakfast available.also other campsite close by over Bridge

Tan Hill day, tea and buns at café in Thwaite, Tan Hill pub strong beer, licensed for weddings wedding party in for me and entertainer. Biker place.

Baldersdale. Camped near to old Hostel after finding nearby Clove Hill B and B/ campsite unattended.

Langden Beck Youth Hostel. Meals . Lunch at Middleton in Teesdale.

Dufton Youth Hostel. Warden at the hostel helpful. Red squirrels in the garden. Pub opposite for meals.

Garrigill –pub closed only open four days a week!

Alston Youth Hostel. Pub nearby for meals.

Greenhead Hostel. (run from Hotel opposite) meals and beakfast in Hotel

Bellingham. lunch in Café. Private Hostel and bunk barn at Bellingham are run by the same private organisation, £15 pn no breakfast, went to B and B £26 with breakfast! .

Byrness hostel.

Hostel mostly self catering but has an honesty system from meals and resupply. Hostel licensed .

Kirk Yetholm food and accommodation

I finished at 5pm Taxi to Berwick and home to Lincolnshire by midnight.

I had A4 maps sheets at 1:50k printed off from the map system off a computer and the Cicerone guide of the path. I also added a few notes here and there from Wainwrights guide. Very few people had large maps some had the National Trail books by Tony Hopkins and these give just enough on 1:25k sections to make navigating pretty straight forward. Though some say the Trailblazer The Pennine Way (British Walking Guide) is much better for planning purposes as it gives more info. I would take a close look at the different guides on offer before buying or borrowing. One good one I saw had a lot of hand drawn maps and directions like Wainwright -it might have be the Hopkins one . The Cicerone guide is just being updated but I never used the guide on route, only read the next section the night before to see what was coming up. Plenty people on route; most of us found the guides slightly off with distance and it seems the overall mileage can be anywhere between 270 and 300 miles.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law