Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Rubbish

Author: John Sparshatt
Posted: Thu 15th Oct 2009, 19:55
Local Group: West Yorkshire
How about encouraging walkers on group or challenge walks to pick up and bring back a piece of rubbish found on the walk on a footpath or open moor. This could be a way of us showing how green we are. We may not be able to influence the wider green issues but we could make a difference within our own environment.
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Thu 15th Oct 2009, 18:15
Local Group: East Yorkshire
I don't need opportunities to be a grumpy old man - I think its a gift
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Wed 14th Oct 2009, 17:07
Local Group: Lakeland
How nice of Mike to give us the opportunity to be grumpy old men. I feel much better for that!
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Wed 14th Oct 2009, 17:05
Local Group: Lakeland
The worst example I have seen was near Stickle Tarn in Langdale. A large quantity of drinks cartons, crisp wrappers, etc had been put in a black plastic bag and stuffed behind a rock. The bag had been pecked open by birds and the contents blown by the wind around a wide area. The rubbish is what you would expect to be produced from a youngsters' picnic, which suggests it was a school party or the like. Whoever was in charge must have left the rubbish or at least have been aware that it was being left. What sort of example is that for young people?
Author: Geoff Saunders
Posted: Tue 13th Oct 2009, 13:58
Local Group: Merseystride
I agree 100%. Nothing changes much does it? In 1993 I had the following letter in Strider:

In the early daylight of Sunday morning on this year’s hundred, I was crossing Simon Howe between Stape and Goathland checkpoints when I came across a pair of Duracell torch batteries beside the path. Shiny batteries in the middle of a heather moor seemed even more repugnant to me than the usual summit litter and cans stuffed into cairns that we have all come to know and loathe.
They must have been dropped by someone on the event and, since the Hundred was 100% LDWA this year, by one of our members. Can someone, preferably the member concerned, please explain to me what sort of mentality allows a walker to shed the few ounces which he/she has carried for 12 to 18 hours when, in another couple of downhill miles, a bin at the checkpoint could have been used?
The LDWA is trying to promote sympathy for the environment. Acts like this make one despair.

There were no replies.
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Sun 11th Oct 2009, 20:24
Local Group: East Lancashire
Don't get me started. It drives me mental. Litter is litter, no ifs or buts. I cannot understand how people can carry a full container of whatever, yet cannot carry an empty one. I know people groan when I go on about banana skins, but it is the principal of the thing.

I await the argument that proves litter is a good thing.

If someone can convince me that throwing anything down, in the countryside, out of a car window or down on the pavement, is acceptable then please do so. If you cannot, then take your litter home
Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Sun 11th Oct 2009, 12:05
Local Group: Northumbria
Who is it that uses a gel then throws the wrapper away? I've picked these up on three of my last four events. Who is so idle that they can't take their own rubbish away?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law