Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Waterproof shells - what's best?

Posted: Thu 10th Jan 2013, 17:19
All of this may become academic in the next couple of years . . .
http://www.p2i.com/
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Sat 26th Dec 2009, 13:12
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Think you did right to stick with Paramo gear.
I have various items, Cambia base layers,Velez smocks ,Boxers, Leggings wind & showerproof.
It's top gear cannot be faulted, keeps me warm & dry on my 100's.
Very helpfull with any queries you may have as well,all in all a very good package.
Author: Ben Bennetts
Posted: Sat 24th Oct 2009, 21:47
Local Group: Wessex
Today it rained - a perfect opportunity to try out my new lightweight waterproof Paramo Quito jacket and Velez Adventure trousers over a 4-hour walk. I've written a report on what I found. If anyone would like to see my report, e-mail me at ben@hollamhouse.com Ben
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Sat 24th Oct 2009, 8:41
Local Group: East Lancashire
Enjoy the Cotswold Way, but make sure your wallet is locked away as you approach a certain tea room near Cooper's Hill.
Posted: Sat 24th Oct 2009, 7:26
Thanks for all the advice. I've decided to invest in the new waterproof Paramo gear - their new lightweight Quito jacket (500 gm)and Velez Adventure trousers (400 gm). No cheap, I know, but my Paramo Cascada jacket has performed very well in the pouring rain.

I'm walking the Cotswold Way next month and I expect rain on at least one of the five walking days. I'll let you all, and Paramo, know how I get on with the new Paramo gear.

Thanks again. Ben
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Fri 23rd Oct 2009, 12:00
Local Group: South Pennine
I don't believe there is such a thing as a fully breathable / waterproof jacket.
Having used various gear over the years (mostly with Goretex linings)I must confess I am quite taken with the Montane Super Fly jacket.This uses eVent technology and does keep me drier than other gear.Also lightweight.
Have therefore invested in some trousers from same manufacturer - not cheap but one happy customer.
Author: Tim Storey
Posted: Thu 22nd Oct 2009, 12:48
Posted: Thu 22nd Oct 2009, 12:26
Posted: Tue 20th Oct 2009, 8:42
Author: MIke Rayner
Posted: Thu 15th Oct 2009, 21:22
My North Face fleece and Berghaus waterproof both have very large pockets that a map fits in easily. Might have to undo the waist belt on the rucksack to use the fleece ones but it's not a bother; I usually just stick the map inside the fleece if I have the belt done up.
Posted: Thu 15th Oct 2009, 11:22
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Thu 8th Oct 2009, 19:15
Hi Ben when you find "The Holy Grail" please let us know. My wardrobe of waterproofs is straining at the seams. My Paramo is much too warm on all but the coldest of days, my Rohan light weight waterproof is much too short etc etc. I am sure that the outdoor manufactures test the jackets on mannequins.

Real walkers wear rucsacs which bunch up the jacket and cover pockets.

Has anyone ever managed to carry a map in a map pocket?
Posted: Thu 8th Oct 2009, 19:00
Posted: Thu 8th Oct 2009, 18:23

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law