Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - WHITE CLIFFS 54.7

Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Fri 25th Sep 2009, 21:29
Local Group: Dorset
Rebecca, I am sure you will finish the Giant this time. To help, we are planning excellent culinary treats at the CPs - and some of our village halls are out of this world in terms of luxury. There will be lots of nice little woolly Dorset sheep on the route to bleat encouragingly at you. And there will be a neolithic supervisor on the registration desk at the start (really...)
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Fri 25th Sep 2009, 16:50
Local Group: Marches
yeah - we're regulars! Love the overnighters, Dorset Giant definately on the 'to do' list since I have entered it twice and never finished. 3rd time lucky? Maybe the Giant won't have the last laugh this time!
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Wed 23rd Sep 2009, 20:30
I am sorry I could not take part this time - it sounds a really good event. Since many of you are among the LDWA "regulars" at events like this - I am sure that some of you also intend to do the Dorset Giant 100K next year. If so, here is some helpful advice. If you really want to do this event, it would be wise to enter sooner (rather than later). We think we will reach the entry limit of 220 well before the closing date. Don't say that I didn't tell you...

mike
Author: Chris Pitt
Posted: Wed 16th Sep 2009, 12:37
The day spent on the white cliffs, the evening sections brought many lovely views across the Kent countryside and then the night of the endless fields. Thanks to all who worked so hard to make this a great event. The hospitality and encouragement shown at all check points was wonderful, the route description was good, Thou I also missed the gate.
Author: Merrian Lancaster
Posted: Wed 16th Sep 2009, 9:52
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
My GPS clocked it at 57 miles.
Author: Stephen Mayne
Posted: Tue 15th Sep 2009, 20:09
I had the same problem in that field crossing, so I re-traced my steps to the last known point before the big trees and still did not find the gate until some more searching along the fence line, it was a dark night though. Must say otherwise the route description was very good also the checkpoints and event as a whole. Many thanks to the Kent group
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Tue 15th Sep 2009, 20:01
Local Group: Marches
I want to be specific about the distance as my legs really noticed the extra 4.7m, and calling this the white cliffs 50 would be doing them an injustice.

Great event - once again many thanks for all involved with the organisation and those who helped and made it possible on the day.

Particularly enjoyed the challenges of the night section - there were no obvious paths on some of the ploughed fields and despite sticking to the bearing religiously, managed to 'miss' some gates - especially the part where you could see the lights of a stately home and had to cross a field,past some large trees and then through a gate and onto a driveway. Anyone else have a problem here? The bearing seemed to take us to the field corner rather than to the small gate part way along the field boundary. Other than this we did remarkably well.Food was spot on.

Brilliant, and once again many thanks!!!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law