Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Website Development - Displaying walking routes on OS maps

Author: Gerry Jackson
Posted: Thu 4th Jun 2009, 21:47
Local Group: South Wales
Garfield

I haven't received any email from you, I hope the spam detector hasn't struck again. You can try an alternative email address gerry@jackson9000.fsnet.co.uk

Gerry Jackson
Posted: Mon 18th May 2009, 20:34
Certainly, if you let me have an email address I'll send the files with a brief description on what to do. You can email me at gbac@southwalesldwa.org

Gerry Jackson
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sun 17th May 2009, 21:57
Local Group: Merseystride
Thanks Gerry,
It looks really useful.
I'll use this for the University of Chester walking club, which I run.
I also do their website, so any snippets of code, or advice, would be useful.
Garfield
Author: John Sparshatt
Posted: Sun 17th May 2009, 17:21
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi Gerry, this looks very good. I will bring this to the attention of the national Internet sub-committee for evaluation and also the West Yorkshire Group web master. Regards John
Posted: Sun 17th May 2009, 12:25
I see that the Wessex 100 web-site displays the route on a map but not an OS map. Are LDWA local group web-site managers aware that OS Openspace provides a free facility for web-sites to display items, including walking routes on 1:50000 OS maps.

South Wales local group member Alun Jones introduced me to it when he started putting local group walks on his web-site (see http://www.users.waitrose.com/~jones-higgins/) and I've adopted a simplified version to display the routes of our anytime challenge walk called the Taith Torfaen, see http://www.qlikz.org/swldwa/swldwa_tt.htm. The display can be zoomed in to street level and out as far as desired using the controls in the top left or the mouse wheel, it can be panned by dragging with the mouse.

If anyone is interested in this I'm happy to provide more details, Javascript code and so on.

Gerry Jackson

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law