Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - WYE FOREST 50

Author: Andrew Clabon
Posted: Wed 6th May 2009, 11:33
Local Group: South Wales
I found out last night that the Forest of Dean was home the following weekend to some form of cross country race and a bike race of over 800 riders. Could have been interesteing if the WF50 was a week later or the bike ride a week earlier.
Author: John Cunnane
Posted: Thu 30th Apr 2009, 16:33
Local Group: South Wales
Superb event. Great scenery, weather, organisation & support. 5 of us enjoyed the experience, for 4 it was a first really long walk and these guys are on a high.

Now for the Malvern Marathon!!
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Mon 27th Apr 2009, 10:59
Local Group: Marches
Agreed - yes, challenge was the word, especially after being tired from the Woldsman last week - there were some challenging hills and navigation, and lost count of the times I went wrong. Still, it wouldn't be a challenge walk if it were too easy! I wish to express my thanks to all involved - lets hope I actually complete the Giant next year!!!
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Mon 27th Apr 2009, 8:54
Local Group: Dorset
What a great event. That is definitely a bit strenuous - a real challenge walk. There is no shortage of of steep hills in the Forest of Dean

Well done to everyone in Bristol and West LDWA Group. And special thanks to all those hard working people who organised and gamely marshalled on the day - and through the night!

I particularly liked the well run CP at St Briavels, the meal stop at Redbrook (my appreciation to the Cornwall and Devon LDWA Group flying CP team) and the cosy little CP at Parkend.

The landscape and countryside of the lower Wye Valley is magnificent. Amazing trails and footpaths - what a route - I liked one bit of the forest so much, I did it twice...

The weather was ideal, and the backmarkers (like me) had wonderful dawn views of the Severn Valley at the end.

And for anyone now contemplating the SW Triple Challenge, or who just wants to do another excellent walk of this length, the Dorset Giant 100K will be back on April 24/25 2010. The cognoscenti will enter early to avoid disappointment - the forms will be on the Dorset LDWA website later this year. It will also be advertised in Strider of course.

mike

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law