Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Hi all!

Posted: Sun 26th Apr 2009, 22:47
Thanks for the welcome guys!
Author: Michael Crozier
Posted: Fri 24th Apr 2009, 12:54
Local Group: East Lancashire
Clare - don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I am currently recovering from almost identical symptoms which have resulted in me not being able to wear walking shoes/boots. I have been 'laid off' from walking any distance for 8 weeks resulting in me having to pull out of a number of challenge walks (inc The Woldsman) and am still not yet fully recovered. My physio says it is bursitis; an inflamation of a pad of fat between the tendon and the heel. The only treatment is Ibuprofen and refraining from walking. He also advised that continuing to walk with the inflamation could result in permanent damage! Hope for your sake it is only a rub, but please take care.
Posted: Fri 24th Apr 2009, 7:42
Matthew/Jane - I think it's that tendon but hoping I'm wrong? Doesn't hurt when barefoot but wearing full shoes is hurting a lot on the external side of the back of my heel. I thought I was developing a surface blister at the time but can't see anything there. Resorted to arnica and flip flops all week and chaffing at the bit to get up to my usual activity levels.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Thu 23rd Apr 2009, 21:29
Local Group: Mid Wales
Clare, do be carefull of that achilles. I talk from very painfull experience, knacker that one up and it's a long road of rehab. If you are fairly new to rough going underfoot, it may pay to look at specific achilles strengthening excercises. You may have youth on your side!! Matt.
Posted: Thu 23rd Apr 2009, 19:20
Hi Samantha :-)

There's also a facebook group, with links to other groups in the 3 peaks area. Warning - it might well be the start of a slippery slope... I did the 3 nervously for the first time nearly a year ago, ended up on the Woldsman last weekend and am now hoping my bruised achilles tendon recovers in time to have a good bash at my first Fellsman
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Thu 23rd Apr 2009, 17:25
Local Group: Mid Wales
Welcome Samantha, I'm afraid you will find things a little quiet here, ldwa members aren't the most talkative lot! Matt.
Posted: Wed 22nd Apr 2009, 20:40
Hi Just wanted to say hi new to this forum and group, I came accross the LDWA on another website due to the fact that early September I will be doing my first ever 25mile challenge the yorkshire three peaks, So I am looking for some good tips to help me along the way :-)

Also to join a local group maybe in a couple of months time, when I get there, need to do a few more walks first to get me up to the right fitness level.

bye for now!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law