Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Kipling Kaper - 28 March

Author: Julie Brownhill
Posted: Sat 4th Apr 2009, 11:41
Local Group: Staffordshire
We have some lost property that we'd like to reunite with its owners. Please get in touch to arrange return.

Julie
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Fri 3rd Apr 2009, 22:58
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Good photos (as ever) Nick. Hail looked challenging!
Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Fri 3rd Apr 2009, 13:25
Local Group: South Manchester
The weather this year was very similar to 2006 when I last did this event - sunny spells and wintry showers, though I think the hail showers were a little more frequent and energetic this year. The one that caught me as I traversed the Roaches was dramatic, as was its appearance as it approached. Another touch of drama was the rescue helicopter that buzzed Gradbach before finding a patch to land on, to rescue a stricken walker with a broken leg. I took some pictures as I trotted round.

The 28 mile route, including the climbs up Shutlingsloe and from Gradbach up onto the Roaches ridge, was challenging. The second half definitely had the most ups and downs.

The food at the checkpoint at the foot of Shutlingsloe looked as spectacular and wide ranging as ever (savoury oatcakes, a rare treat befitting a hundred), but a slice of greased malt loaf was all I needed to keep me going. It's a shame I couldn't do it justice, but I certainly made up for it at the finish. Rarely do we see such a healthy spread - a selection of quiches or pork pie, pasta dishes, rice dishes, salads, olives, boiled eggs, beetroot, coleslaw; and I've probably missed loads out.

Afterwards we helped Vaughan and Anne Wade celebrate Vaughan's 50th birthday with cake supplied by Anne. Happy birthday Vaughan!

Many thanks to Staffs LDWA for a superbly organised event. It deserved to fill up.
Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Tue 24th Mar 2009, 12:20
Local Group: South Manchester
Congratulations! I'll see you on Saturday.
Author: Julie Brownhill
Posted: Wed 18th Mar 2009, 17:27
Local Group: Staffordshire
This year's event is now full.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law