Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Which GPS for Memory Map??

Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Thu 6th Aug 2009, 18:06
Local Group: East Yorkshire
No doubt, the Satmap Active 10, used it for more than a year to download routes from Memory Map - superb device!
Posted: Tue 14th Jul 2009, 21:08
I have have some upload issues with MM -> Garmin C60Csx but easily overcome by sending MM routes & waypoints to GPS via Mapsource (free garmin software). Whilst the Garmin GPS 'topo' maps are somewhat vague by comparison the GPS has never let me down to date despite pretty severe weather conditions on occasions and so would recomend the unit to anybody if used in conjunction with an OS or MM printed map. My GPS has been dropped, trodden on and has sank in bogs, has got me down in zero visability on craggy mountains several times, never missed a beat using a 203 waypoint route for the 40 mile Lyke Wake Walk etc - remained bullet proof throughout. Not sure about the new breed of GPS's... they either don't look tough enough for mountain use or friends models noted as very intermittent coverage in dense tree cover, steep valleys etc and so sticking with it...
Author: Mark Edwards
Posted: Mon 29th Jun 2009, 16:22
Local Group: Merseystride
I use Memory Map to create routes and and transfer them to my Garmin Etrex Vista C, and alos to view the tracklog created on the GPS. You don't get to see the OS map on the GPS as you would need a RoadAngel/PDA for this (I do have a PDA and have used it to see the OS maps, but it doesn't have a good battery life, even with an external back-up battery and is not very resilient to impacts). However I do use Mapsource European mapping (which only really has roads and points of interest, and which I paid for), together with UK contours downloaded free from the Scottish Moutnaineering Club website - see http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.php and http://www.paulmac.force9.co.uk/geo/index.html. Together these give a very good map on the GPS which can easily be cross-referenced to a paper OS map. The contours are excellent, and also include mountain summits - highly recommended for anyone with a mapping Garmin GPS.
Author: Michael Scanlon
Posted: Sun 28th Jun 2009, 15:02
Local Group: Dorset
Hi there
The only GPS that you can upload 'Memory Map' maps to is the Angel Navigator 7000 Adventure.
This has a limited charge time of 4 hours (not 8 hours as advertised) and is a fixed re-chargeable battery, which you can not replace with ease.
This would be an OK car GPS, though not really any good for long walks. I have seen them available on eBay for around £200.
Other than that I don't believe there is a GPS that you can load Memory Maps maps onto. Though you can upload them to PDA's, however most i know are not waterproof and you might need an external, plug in GPS receiver. (approx £30)
Were still waiting for the 10" colour, water proof, robust, low power consumption, GPS, map book note book to be manufactured.... any takers?
Author: Tony Deall
Posted: Thu 19th Feb 2009, 23:20
Local Group: Cumbria
I use a Garmin 60CSx loaded with Garmin's topo maps.It is possible to download tracks from this onto Memory Map and vice versa very easily.
I'm not sure if that's what you want but it works for me!
Author: Anne Webb
Posted: Wed 18th Feb 2009, 22:25
Local Group: South Pennine
Does anyone have any advice on which GPS is best to support Memory Map software, please?? Looking at purchasing a new GPS that will be compatible - after searching on the internet, isn't obvious which GPS models are suited.
Thanks
anne.webb2@btinternet.com

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law