Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - The Arans

Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sat 7th Mar 2009, 22:06
Local Group: Mid Wales
Hi Merrian, let us know if you plan to come up to Arans, favourite training ground of mine and loads of routes over there, can give you some ideas. Great range of hills. Matt.
Author: John Ellerslie
Posted: Sat 14th Feb 2009, 19:05
Local Group: Marches
Merrian - well, I was wrong - higher temperatures on the Aran ridge these past two nights have softened the snow, so it was doable without axes and crampons, if something of a trudge. We had the axes out, but mostly for form. However, the clag was well down and you wouldn't have had any views, so possibly not worth driving a long way for anyway; we're only 40 miles away. Tomorrow will be the same, I think. I hope you manage to get up here and enjoy the Arans on a clear day.
For info, we did a circuit up from Blaen Pennant (905216), up to Foel Hafod-fynydd, then up the Ddafad-ddu (black sheep) ramp to gain the main ridge. Over Fawddwy, then past the memorial, over the Drysgol ridge, and down via Cwm Dyniewyd, past a rather magnificent and little-known waterfall. Good luck.
Author: Merrian Lancaster
Posted: Fri 13th Feb 2009, 9:19
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Thanks John, that confirms our decision to postpone our trip for another time.
Author: John Ellerslie
Posted: Thu 12th Feb 2009, 20:03
Local Group: Marches
Merrian - I'm likely to be going to the Arans this weekend, and will certainly be carrying, and probably using, ice axe and crampons. As you'll know, Aran Fawddwy is just a gnat's whisker under 3000 ft; there's been lots of snow and it freezes hard every night - the summit ridge will have ice and neve. We needed crampons on the Berwyns last week, which are a couple of hundred feet lower. You'll probably live if you go without gear and are careful with the route, but it would be irresponsible. Janet Pitt-Lewis will confirm that we were up in Snowdonia last Saturday, and everyone we saw was properly equipped.
Author: Merrian Lancaster
Posted: Wed 11th Feb 2009, 11:27
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
We’re hoping to tackle some Arans this weekend. Can any locals tell me what the underfoot conditions are like at the moment please? I’m a southern softie, so can cope with heavy mud and icy puddles, but don’t have crampons or ice axe.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law