Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Water Yeat Affair

Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Sun 19th Oct 2008, 23:54
Local Group: West Yorkshire
I did this one. (And did both loops!) The weather was much improved for the second one. And I was pleasantly surprised by Grisedale Forest - quite open, not traditional forest tracks. I think the weather contributed to the lovely quiet countryside. There were lots of cyclists in Grisedale, but not many walkers and hardly anyone out on the first loop.

Feeling chuffed with myself that I didn't follow a group of runners who missed the Cumbria Way I then made an interesting diversion over Yew Bank. Nice to have a route that wasn't totally on huge great motorway type tracks. Superb countryside. Really friendly and well organised. Thanks!
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Sun 19th Oct 2008, 23:02
Local Group: Lakeland
No confession needed, we did visit eight WOFs, and I bow to your superior arithmetic. Not everyone did - we were surprised to overtake someone for the second time to be told that he was "saving Carron Crag for another day"!
Author: Geoff Saunders
Posted: Sun 19th Oct 2008, 21:06
Local Group: Merseystride
Come on Tony - time for confession. I counted eight Wainwright outliers. Which two did you miss? In order - Wool Knott, Blawith Knott, Beacon Fell, "a nameless summit" (actually Brock barrow), Low Light Haw, High Light Haw, Top o'Selside and Carron Crag. It was a good demanding route. I hope Bob puts it on again and gets better weather and a better turnout.
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Sun 19th Oct 2008, 10:28
Local Group: Lakeland
Bob Mitchell put on a real challenge for us on Saturday, 25 miles with lots of off-path exploration in some of the less visited parts of the South Lake District. There may not have been any high fells on the route but we collected 6 of Wainwright's Outlying Fells and climbed around 4500 feet. A wet morning discouraged many people from setting out on the second loop, but the 18 who did enjoyed a much better afternoon with fine views and some welcome sunshine.
Thanks to Bob and helpers for an excellent day out.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law