Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Open to Offas, September 20th 2008

Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Sun 21st Sep 2008, 21:35
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Gosh I have to agree Garfield. This was the first time I've done an LDWA event in this area and I was bowled over! I had planned to do the 30 until last weekend when I realised that my fitness was not up to it (plus hectic week at work and hectic rest of weekend!). So I switched to the 21. The views from the ridge were just fantastic. The weather helped a lot of course. Some lovely homemade cakes at the checkpoints too.

I also managed to persuade my friend to do the 14 mile route. She's only done one before, and this was longer than she's done for a while. She did do an extra mile at the end, but thoroughly enjoyed it too. Many, many thanks to all involved. I do hope to be back next year!

Did I say it was great? It was FAB !!!!!!!!! (sorry a bit gushy but it really was a super day out)
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sun 21st Sep 2008, 10:15
Local Group: Merseystride
In any weather this is a premier event, but in the clear, rich sunshine it became an oasis of delight in an otherwise damp and drab summer. The route is superb and uses natural features of the region to create a varied and challenging event with plenty of interest along the way.
I brought 4 newcomers to LDWA events along for the day and it could not have been a better advertisement for the sport. The checkpoint and village-hall staff were all cheery, helpful and - most important - willing to give me an extra portion of rice pudding! We did the 21 mile route but all the freshers decided they would go for the 30 next year!
The entry numbers seemed lower than usual, which is a great pity because this is a wonderful event that deserves to be more widely known. (Garfield)

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law