Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - DEHYDRATION

Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sat 25th Oct 2008, 23:18
Local Group: Merseystride
Hi Matt,
If you put URL markup tags before and after the address, it looks like this ...
http://www.likeys.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2elikeys%2ecom%2facatalog%2fEnergy_Bars___Gels%2ehtml&WD=nuun&PN=Hydration_Nuun%2ehtml%23a2_21722#a2_21722
...then people only have to click on it.
See the "Formatting Posts using BBCode" when creating a posting.
Garfield
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sat 25th Oct 2008, 19:48
Local Group: Mid Wales
These guys are really good as well, I've dealt with them and very good personal service. Good prices too: http://www.likeys.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2elikeys%2ecom%2facatalog%2fEnergy_Bars___Gels%2ehtml&WD=nuun&PN=Hydration_Nuun%2ehtml%23a2_21722#a2_21722

Struth that's a big web address !! hope you can 'cut and paste'. Matt.
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sat 25th Oct 2008, 12:31
Local Group: Merseystride
Thanks Roy,
Interesting site. I too suffer from cramps.
I've ordered two tubes for £8.50 to give them a trial.
On the 100 this year I emptied one of those tiny salt sachets you get from fast-food outlets into a cup of soup at Ingleton. Never had the slightest problem with cramp. I probably also need to drink more, even though I use a water bladder. Garfield
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Fri 24th Oct 2008, 21:32
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Me again! Forgot to mention web-site selling 4 tubes for £16. www.fuelsport.co.uk Enjoy.
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Fri 24th Oct 2008, 18:56
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
I suffer cramps easily. Therefore need electrolyte drinks. To carry means weight. Recently used "NUNN" Tablets & find them great. Convenient, tube 12 tabs, light, mix 1 to 500ml whenever u want, 2mins. Various flavours. Unlike Fiona i find they taste quite pleasant for a self-mix. 100% Recommended.
Author: Fiona Cameron
Posted: Fri 26th Sep 2008, 9:29
Local Group: Surrey
I used Nuun tablets on the UTMB. Unfortunately I don't like the taste - weak squash with a funny aftertaste - so I think I drank less between checkpoints than I should have and ended up being sick, which I think was down to dehydration/electrolyte imbalance; and of course it gets worse if you can't keep anything down.

I shall try Saltstick caps for future long events, washed down with plain water.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Fri 19th Sep 2008, 17:20
Local Group: Mid Wales
Anyone used Nuun tablets?

I can confirm they work quite well for hangovers - having spent a week in Spain (picos de europa) trying to drink with that Keeling bloke !! Matt.
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Fri 19th Sep 2008, 16:15
Local Group: Marches
Thanks for that. I too have had symptoms of nausea and lightheadedness after finishing an event but what alarmed me about the Shotley was I still had another 20m to go - managed to hiccup and vomit my way round to the finish - but it certainly detracted from the experience!

I guess I need to follow this advice and be very careful in future with regards to what I eat and drink.
Author: Paul Sorensen
Posted: Thu 18th Sep 2008, 12:19
Local Group: Dorset
Hi Rebecca,

I have posted a similar thread about a health question, and have certainly had your post event symptoms. I googled 'Dumping Syndrome' which was very helpful, and on my last event I had no ill effects afterwards at all. Basically it's about fluid intake, and what food/drink is taken. I avoided sweet tea and cakes, and kept to water only. If you tried running that really does put extra strain and even though you thought you were drinking enough you were probably still getting dehydrated. I have had the hicups problems once or twice. I normally avoid food for a couple of hours, just drink, and if needs be take a rest to stabilise. Bananas I find very good, plus a sports drink to keep electrolites topped up.
Others I'm sure will have their own remedies and thoughts.
Paul
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Mon 15th Sep 2008, 20:47
Local Group: Marches
We decided to try and run as much of the shotley Penninsula as possible, and pretty much managed to do this on the first 35m or so, then the wheels well and truly came off for me. It started with hiccups - I literally couldn't stop, and felt like there was air trapped somewhere between my throad and stomach. When it eventually stopped, everytime I tried to sip my water it started again.

The hiccups were then replaced with an overwhelming feeling of nausea, and then actual vomiting, which again was made worse by trying to sip water.

What I am wondering is whether this has ever happened to anyone else and any advice.

The strange thing was I was very careful to drink plenty throughout the first 35m, and also didn't feel thirsty or have swollen hands or any other sign of dehydration.

Once the nausea started I was stuck in the loop of not being able to eat or drink at all, which of course makes the dehyration worse.

Also, since doing the event (and I have noticed this with other events) my resting pulse has dropped to below 50, causing feelings of light headedness. Does anyone know whether this is due to the dehydration?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law