Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Stoves.

Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Thu 14th Aug 2008, 19:36
Local Group: Mid Wales
Ah chris, was hoping you would input. Since my initial post I did some 'research' into alternatives and become intrigued by the 'backpackinglight' brigade, think they call them "gramweenies". I have seen a homeade beer can burner in a bothy, but can't be faffed to make one. This guy, Tinny of minibulldesign seems to be one of the gurus of these burners http://minibulldesign.com/mbdstore/ with loads of lightweight stove stuff here. But I decided on the white box stove because Tinny recommends it as being slightly more substantial than his ones and very well made(still made out of recycled stuff). Including windshield and primer plate it weighs in at a massive 3oz - I can live with that. It also holds 2oz of fuel at a go and can heat enough water for 2 persons at a time, rather than geared towards the solo trecker.

They sell direct from manufacturers on e-bay, mine is delivered to UK for $24, I can live with that too, as I say, I can't be bothered to faff about. Put up White Box Stove on google for info, anyone.

So now waiting for it to arrive and then I can 'play'. I will let you know how it goes. Matt.
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Thu 14th Aug 2008, 16:04
Local Group: East Lancashire
Intrigued by the beer can stove, there must be a Strider article in that.
Posted: Thu 14th Aug 2008, 13:53
Hi,
Me again with an after thought. Think about solid fuel of the type used by the army in Afghanistan, Iraq or the Brecon Beacons. The tablets are readily available in Millet's shops though they are a little expensive for routine cooking. However being neither capable of causing spills, leaks, explosions or, it seems at times, ignition they can be carried through air port security. You will need to gain a little experience in their use to find how many you use is cooking a typical meal of your choice with a hot drink included. I reckon 2 for a hot cuppa of tea, and three to re-hydrate a package of quick cook rice. Do not undrsetimate usage. On trail I once met 2 hikers who were practitioners of ultra lite weight back packing hence their choice of solid fuel. They allowed 1 tablet to reconstitute macaroni cheese when 2 should have been used. After a few days of eating a sticky greyish yellow goo they were very, very p*****d orf!
Posted: Thu 14th Aug 2008, 10:40
Hi,
Why not make your own? On the Appalachian Trail by far the most popular stove is the two beer can design(think Trangia burner but without the cost). You make it from recycling drink cans scavanged from the local streets, so reducing litter, and it burns denatured alcohol(meths) thust it's carbon neutral. What can be more eco friendly? Also it's weight is neglible and there is nothing in it's design to go wrong. No pumps to fail or jets to block. As for fuel availability you can use medicinal alcohol from a pharmacy, fuel system de-waterers from service stations(HEET), and varnish thinners from builder's merchants. Also if you are flying into the States then homeland security do not recognise it as a stove(I've had a MSR dragon fly seized even though it was only a stove head without fuel because it was labelled as being a stove and therefore flammable!). To see it in all it's glory go to the Marches Group web site, then to Committee, then to Secretary, then click on teabags and go to trail talk 4(I think). If you want instructions on making one(it only takes about 15 minutes) then email me(chris1.dawes@virgin.net).
regards
Chris
Posted: Wed 13th Aug 2008, 19:31
I'll reply to myself. Looks like I'm going for a White Box Stove from the US. May just do what we want ....... and very cheap. Matt.
Posted: Sun 10th Aug 2008, 20:28
Same request as below for water purification. We are fine with our Pocket Rocket and gas for a day or two in the UK, but I know that for two of us on 4 day trek out say, the advantages of liquid fuels kick in. Also we will be flown out to trails in Tasmania - no gas canisters alowed.

Forums/advice out there seem to favour the Trangia meths cookers, anyone experience of these - like how much meths does it take to cook for 4 days ?? There's also the MSR range for petrol cookers, any advice appreciated - what does the likes of Chris Dawes use on his treks? Matt.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law